Gold

Dirtyhip

35 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

SRAM sucks

Does it?  Not being argumentative, just asking if you have 1st hand knowledge.  It seems their Mtn groups are pretty dialed in.  I don't know if the quality of their road groups is on par with Shimano or Campy but I don't hear many  complaints on their off road groups.  I know some of their brakes were not as dialed as Shimano but I think the current models are better. 

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

SRAM sucks

Opinion.  

I have had great luck with my 1 x 11 XX1.  It would just be nice to get a little bit of an easier gear.  

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Apparently I have really low end stuff on the fattie, 'cuz I don't like my SRAM shifting or the AVID brakes. ugh...

Maybe.  I've rode X9 and had really good luck, but I don't know about the lower priced SRAM.  I have had good avid brakes like 10+ years ago. Currently, I run XTR brakes and I love them.  

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

No.

Trolling.

Ahh so... My cousin has Rival on his CX bike and i took it for a couple of hot laps once.  Although different I didn't dislike the shifting on it.  He says he likes Shimano better but the shifts were clean and precise.  Never rode Sram on a mtn bike but the mid to higher end groups seem to be solid. 

Just now, ChrisL said:

Ahh so... My cousin has Rival on his CX bike and i took it for a couple of hot laps once.  Although different I didn't dislike the shifting on it.  He says he likes Shimano better but the shifts were clean and precise.  Never rode Sram on a mtn bike but the mid to higher end groups seem to be solid. 

SRAM came stock on my Mukluk, it was -meh- so I put XTR on the Beargrease. Never liked SRAM shifters, but their crisp rear derailleurs are nice.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

SRAM came stock on my Mukluk, it was -meh- so I put XTR on the Beargrease. Never liked SRAM shifters, but their crisp rear derailleurs are nice.

I have a mix of SLX and XT on my mtn bike and a gotta say it's freaking nice.  Shimano is the gold standard IMHO for bike components.  I have Campy Record on my roadie and I only bought it because I had the $$ and wanted the bling.  It shifts no better than the Ultegra kit on my CX bike which was a fraction of the cost.  But man is it purty.... 

I'll add my 1 cent's worth.  On my mt bikes I very much liked SRAM x9 equipment.  I was however a big fan of their twist shifters and I realize that many weren't.  The biggest advantage for an MTB was the ability to shift several gears front and rear all at once when the riding conditions changed suddenly.  The second largest advantage was SRAM's use of almost twice as much cable pull per shift.  This made adjustments much less frequent and finicky.  Shimano is more like German engineering, very precise when working correctly.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'll add my 1 cent's worth.  On my mt bikes I very much liked SRAM x9 equipment.  I was however a big fan of their twist shifters and I realize that many weren't.  The biggest advantage for an MTB was the ability to shift several gears front and rear all at once when the riding conditions changed suddenly.  The second largest advantage was SRAM's use of almost twice as much cable pull per shift.  This made adjustments much less frequent and finicky.  Shimano is more like German engineering, very precise when working correctly.

You are probably right but I have yet to adjust the derailleurs on any of my Shimano equipped bikes.  They were dialed in and have been money for a couple of years now.  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

You are probably right but I have yet to adjust the derailleurs on any of my Shimano equipped bikes.  They were dialed in and have been money for a couple of years now.  

Your cables never stretch?  The SRAM system will tolerate twice as much cable stretch before adjustment.