Speaking of TV shows

Chris...

I find it really difficult these days to enjoy tv and movies. I think it's because I'm too informed. Everything caters to the lowest common denominator. 

Most shows don't even try to be realistic in their portrayal of anything. I end up picking them to pieces.

• Heart 4

4 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I find it really difficult these days to enjoy tv and movies. I think it's because I'm too informed. Everything caters to the lowest common denominator. 

Most shows don't even try to be realistic in their portrayal of anything. I end up picking them to pieces.

When it involves historical events they rarely get it right.

7 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Different strokes for different folks.  I rarely watch TV but when I do get a chance, I do it to be entertained not expecting absolute fact.  Dragons are real, right? 

• Heart 2

I cannot watch any sitcoms anymore. I sued to like Big Bang but it got old after the first few seasons. Dramas are plentiful and on every channel. 

Shows I currently are enjoying:

• Chicago Med/Fire/PD (NBC)
  • Bull (CBS)
  • Elementary (CBS) *Started because of crush on Lucy Liu stay for both her and unreasonable man crush on Johhny Lee Miller*
  • Suits (USA)

I've watched a few Amazon Prime shows worth watching too like Catastrophe but their episode count and longish waits between seasons I end up forgetting about them until my prime membership reminds me new episodes are arriving.

We watch TV for a loss of focus. I don't need to have everything accurate. I want to be entertained before I sleep.

I try not to pick apart movies as I understand it's entertainment and they are telling a "story".  Sometimes is based on factual events but it's still a story...  I don't watch many sitcoms or shows on TV, very few interest me.  I do enjoy Modern Family and watch it regularly.  My kids have gotten in to Gotham and I watch bits & pieces of it.  It seems like a well done show.  

My evening TV is usually sports, Basketball & Baseball mostly but these days my wife has run of the TV and generally watches HGTV.  I get the TV back in April with Baseball season starts. 

37 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I end up picking them to pieces.

I think this is part of aging.  Seriously.

My mother used to love TV when she was young but couldn't watch anything but news and sports when she got older.  Now I am the same way.  I loved movies up until I was around 50 or so.  Then I couldn't watch them anymore because they seemed ridiculously flawed and ridiculously ridiculous.  I don't think the movies got dumber, I think I just got smarter (in a way).  My tastes changed and my ability to accept silly premises went away.  I can still enjoy comedies if they are funny, I guess because comedies aren't supposed to be sensical anyway.  

• Heart 1

I mostly watch sports, but I like a couple of regular show shows.

I like Gas Monkey because I knew a lot of club owners in Dallas that were just like Richard, and sometimes I see stuff in the background that I used to drive by for years and stuff like that. Street Outlaws is another one I'll put on while I 'm puttering around the house in the evening

but it falls off fast after those two. I used to like the Simpsons, but I haven't watched them in about 10 years now

I like to have the tv on while I'm doing something else just because I live alone and if I put on music, I'll get distracted listening, so the tv is just the background noise. Pirate games are perfect. I like to be able to look up and catch a little of the ball game and go back to whatever I'm doing. That's why I don't like things you have to follow closely.

Most times, I get upset because when writers are faced with decisions on which way a plot should go, they go with whatever they think will be most "spectacular", rather than what would be considered plausible.  I don't want James Bond skiing down a mountain with a pistol picking 40 stationary bad guys off while they all miss with their powerful automatic weapons.  

I also don't need the most super-villainous villain ever in every movie, and I don't want to see guys beaten within an inch of their lives beat up several other people minutes afterward, bleeding from everywhere with broken ribs and a head injury, roughing up the krav maga champ who is currently uninjured, either.  I don't want people making clearly innacurate statements well beyond their purported areas of expertise and people just accepting it.

I generally want plausibility placed above all other aspects.  If your story can't advance the plot without implausibility, then your story sucks and needs to be rewritten.  Not everything has to be probable, but a number of improbabilities in a row means lazy writers and stupid directors have produced a steaming pile that I don't want to see.  I often see something and think "It would have been so easy to change a line or two, then this would make much more sense.  Why didn't anybody speak up and let anyone know they are making garbage unnecessarily?".  This is how Trump gets elected, btw, by people so brain-damaged that all they want to see is explosions and the worst villain ever get killed at the end.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is how Trump gets elected, btw, by people so brain-damaged that all they want to see is explosions and the worst villain ever get killed at the end.

this is exactly why I voted Trump. I wanted to see Hillary melt like the Wicked Witch of the West

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

this is exactly why I voted Trump. I wanted to see Hillary melt like the Wicked Witch of the West

I did watch the run up to the elections.  No way, no how could a writer ever cook all that stuff up.  That was entertaining.  Sad but entertaining.  Flying dragons is totally believable now! :)  

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That is why I won't go see movies based on a book i've read.  The movie is going to disappoint.  

I totally agree with one exception, maybe.  I read "The Godfather" before going to see the movie.  I loved the book, couldn't put it down.  I was reluctant to see the movie, but it followed the book exactly and the acting, directing and photography was an addition, not a subtraction from the book.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I totally agree with one exception, maybe.  I read "The Godfather" before going to see the movie.  I loved the book, couldn't put it down.  I was reluctant to see the movie, but it followed the book exactly and the acting, directing and photography was an addition, not a subtraction from the book.

And the other end of that spectrum is casting Tom Cruse as Jack Reacher.  I've read all the books but would never set foot in a theater with Cruse playing Reacher.  Lone Survivor was a great book and there is no way they could come close to the book in an hour and 45 minutes.  There's several others in that same category.