Did you ever receive corporal punishment in school?

Road Runner

I did.  In 1954, first grade.  I was late returning to class from recess and I got smacked several times on the hand with a ruler.  My teacher was Miss Johnson.  She was kinda hot.  I have long since forgotten everything else about my first grade experience, but the whacking from Miss Johnson is still fresh in my memory.   :) 

• Like 1

6th grade was the last time.  A friend of mine and I got in to it over something stupid during an unsupervised play practice as recess.  He pushed me and I fell backwards and landed with my butt in a trash can (classic).  The principal walked in to check on us just as I landing.  We both got it.  

My younger brother was impervious to pain and made it a point to test every teacher.  When he was in 3rd grade he beat up a 4th grader and a 5 grader on the school bus.  The driver turned around and took them back to the principal.  As my brother was about to receive his first whack he remembered he had a pencil in his back pocket.  He reached for it and ended up with a broken hand.  The principal was afraid my dad would sue him and he left my brother alone for the next 3+ years.  That was not a good thing for my brother.

• Like 1

Sister Mary Kay made my life in school a living hell.

Besides the smack with a ruler, chalk thrown at me, kneeling on metal heat grates, and holding a bible in each hand while I stood infront of the class in the position of christ on the cross...

Let's just say I didn't learn from my behavior :)

• Like 1

All the damn time.  I played football starting in 7th grade.  Had coaches as teachers for some classes, but the other teachers knew if we stepped out of line, all they had to do was call down to the coaches office and tell them to light up jsharr's ass for being a smart ass or dumb ass again.  At times, you had to stand in line with the other dumb jocks waiting to get a review with the "board of education" outside the coaches office.

I wish they still did this.  I would have no problem with a coach paddling either of my boys, if they deserved it.  I know I did.  

• Like 2

No, I walked the straight and narrow. 

"The paddle" was the well known punishment in our school.  Very early in school (1st or 2nd grade) one troublemaking kid in our class was paddled, in the middle of the class with all of us watching.  I felt bad for the kid then, and even more so now because I'm sure he had ADHD or something.  Sometimes I wonder whatever became of him.  Did he become an upstanding citizen?  Was he committed?  He left our school shortly thereafter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

This, or I should say, many times.  Remember I graduated in 1960.

I wasn't even on the planet when you graduated.:)

Not me but in my HS History class the teacher grabbed a mouthy kid by the scruff of the neck and dragged him and his desk out the door.  He warned him several times and said if you don't be quiet I'm going to throw you out of my class.  Mouthy student said, "I'd like to see you try".  Kid never came back to that class!

As a kid I used to ride my bike through the playground of a catholic school.  Cut about 5 minutes off my ride due to two lights I could avoid.  Except the nuns hated it when we did that ( a bunch of us did it).  One time a Nun caught me, grabbed my arm and dug her nails into my arm in a fit of rage yelling I got you now!   I was able to break free of her grip (I was in HS at the time so not a little kid) and rode off but the freaking nuns had some serious issues.  

• Like 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

No.  I got it when I got home.  Dad was a teacher in the same school district I attended.  I didn't get away with much. 

My dad had a rule, you get it a school and you will get it at home.  I only ever remember him doing that with me once at a very young age.  I think he wore himself out with my brother.

• Like 1

Yes, virtually every day. Normally slaps on the hand with a stick or leather strap but also things like lifting you up by your hair. For stuff like unsatisfactory home work, not paying attention in class or being late.

I didn't go to the worst schools for punishment either.

I left school in 1967. Corporal punishment was banned in Ireland in 1982 by regulation and by law in 1996.

My MOM was a teacher in the same school district (aka building). I didn't dare get in much trouble. Besides, my mom was friends with a lot of the teachers, so I probably got away with a bit. Though in 11th or 12th grade I had an English teacher who was tough to read; either we were getting along or not. Apparently one day we were NOT, and I didn't get the memo. She got mad at me and threw a literature book at me. I turned to avoid getting hit full on with it, and the next day I discovered a bruise on my side from the book. Didn't hurt, but it sure made for good show-and-tell to my fellow students! Ha!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My dad had a rule, you get it a school and you will get it at home.  I only ever remember him doing that with me once at a very young age.  I think he wore himself out with my brother.

Yup what I got at school was nothing compared to home

35 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

"The paddle" was the well known punishment in our school.  Very early in school (1st or 2nd grade) one troublemaking kid in our class was paddled, in the middle of the class with all of us watching.  I felt bad for the kid then, and even more so now because I'm sure he had ADHD or something.  Sometimes I wonder whatever became of him.  Did he become an upstanding citizen?  Was he committed?

The rumor is he grew up to be an engineer and hangs out on a Forum purportedly related to cycling while pretending to be Polish guy.

• Like 1

We had a VP in charge of discipline. He was about 6'20" and ran close to 3 bills. He was in the Junior high when we were there then moved over to the HS at the same time our class did. So everyone was aware of the man and his rep. 

He would go down the hall at class change and keep order. Couple times a year (that i saw) he would lift up a troublemaker by the collar and bang him into the locker hard. This had 2 effects. The student in question was disciplined.  And everyone in earshot was made aware the Mr wickberg was a man not to be trifled with. I suspect that is why he banged the student loudly into the locker. Student radar was up

I never ran afoul of the man

4 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

We had a VP in charge of discipline. He was about 6'20" and ran close to 3 bills. He was in the Junior high when we were there then moved over to the HS at the same time our class did. So everyone was aware of the man and his rep. 

He would go down the hall at class change and keep order. Couple times a year (that i saw) he would lift up a troublemaker by the collar and bang him into the locker hard. This had 2 effects. The student in question was disciplined.  And everyone in earshot was made aware the Mr wickberg was a man not to be trifled with. I suspect that is why he banged the student loudly into the locker. Student radar was up

I never ran afoul of the man

we had a guy, Coach Starns, that was THE most feared teacher in school. He was one of the football coaches, and when he gave guys swats (you bent over and grabbed a chair) we saw him literally lift guys feet off the ground with every swat

and not little guys either, I saw him lift Moose Rassmussen off the ground one time in the locker room :o

the worst "sentence" I ever got in school was to get 5 from Coach Starns.

• Like 1

I got the paddle in front of the class in 7th grade.

I got backhanded by Sister Mary Magdalene in 1st grade.  

Brother Kirkpatrick practically broke most of my fingers, on multiple occasions, in 9th grade.

Need I go on? 

I guess I had really bad luck.  Cuz, I didn't do anything to deserve any of this.  The other kids were screwing off.  I was working on my perfect deportment.

Very first day of first grade.  I didn't want to be there.  Not really sure what I did other than complain a lot about not wanting to be there.  Sister Augustine had one of those triangular rulers.  She whacked me on the knuckles with it and I shut up.  That was the only physical punishment.  The worst was the mental punishment those nuns wielded to get your attention.  I would rather have been whacked on the knuckles. 

26 minutes ago, tybeegb said:

Very first day of first grade.  I didn't want to be there.  Not really sure what I did other than complain a lot about not wanting to be there.  Sister Augustine had one of those triangular rulers.  She whacked me on the knuckles with it and I shut up.  That was the only physical punishment.  The worst was the mental punishment those nuns wielded to get your attention.  I would rather have been whacked on the knuckles. 

WTF is wrong with Nuns?  I was raised Catholic and lived across the street from our Church which was also an elementary school (that I would cut across going to school myself).  We saw the nuns regularly and they were always just an angry lot.  Never a smile, just miserable people apparently dedicated to god?  I wonder if they ever thought their methods where consistent with the church or not.  Grabbing a 13 YO by the arm, forcefully digging your nails into his arm and screaming at him eyes bulging, or cracking students across the knuckles, or the mental BS they put on kids.  My parents didn't want me going to Catholic school as they were both abused physically by the nuns in their school.   

You can guess I no longer associate myself with the Catholic Church as there are just too many contradictions for me to wrap my head around.  In addition to the nuns they had a child molester priest that we had to stay clear of as we all knew he was a freaking perv. Years later it was discovered he molested a bunch of young boys and the church knew and buried it for 20 years.  The dates were consistent when he was trying to get me and my brother in "confession" regularly.  

I went to Catholic schools in the 60's and 70's. I was lucky I didn't get Capital punishment!

In the 8th grade we had a very old nun, Sister Mildred, who should have pitched for the Cincinnati Reds. She had a great throwing arm and near perfect timing. She could hit a student with a ruler, pencil sharpener, or book anywhere in the classroom. One day Danny Whitney was acting up and Sister Mildred threw a book at him. Danny saw it and moved out of the way. The book hit Greg Knight who was sleeping at the desk behind Danny. Greg started apologizing profusely for sleeping and the nun started apologizing for unintentionally hitting Greg (and missing Danny). That took a few minutes to sort out and Danny had slipped out of the room during the confusion. 

Lol I never got it, but my older brother did I know when he was in school. He told me he cried, so it must have really hurt. How common was it for guys to cry even in high school? Because that's how you know it truly hurts, when you can make a "tough" high school guy cry. LOL :P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnIan said:

Lol I never got it, but my older brother did I know when he was in school. He told me he cried, so it must have really hurt. How common was it for guys to cry even in high school? Because that's how you know it truly hurts, when you can make a "tough" high school guy cry. LOL :P

I remember a few tough teachers in JH that prided themselves in making tears flow.  I'm not talking about outright sobbing but visible tears..... 

I got paddled a few times without being tried by a jury of my peers.

However, I watched in horror when our female third grade music teacher tackled and started windmilling on a kid for being a smart aleck.... We needed to run and get another teacher when our eighth grade science teacher started beating on a kid with a heavy school book for shooting a spit wad.... In High School we pulled the metal shop teacher off a kid after breaking a paddle over the kid's head.... Thinking back, I was lucky to get out of the public education system relatively unscarred for life. :unsure:

• Like 1

Okay, so there was twice.  Got two whacks by the VP in Junior High for slamming a kids head into a table and choking the shit out of him.  I got picked on a lot from Junior High clear through High School, that time I just snapped and just lost it.  VP so he knew I was getting picked on, so he wasn't going to be two hard on me, gave two whacks and sent me on my way.

A few times. Last time I can remember was for winning a fight. 

I also spent so much time out in the hall that the hall monitors and I were on a first name basis. I think I spent more time outside art class than I did inside.

Got way worse, way more often from my mom, though. On the plus side it improved my fitness - I rode my bike all day, every day and ice skated every chance I could, just to GTFO of the house.