Never try to electrify a fat tire bike

JerrySTL

It looks to me as if the handlebar grips are made of some sort of non-conductive plastic. 

And if the insulation properties of the grips were insufficient, why didn't they wrap the straps of the third person's backpack around the handlebars and lift straight up?  Or even the chin straps from their helmets?  :rolleyes:

Not to mention how the poor bike wound up on the fence in the first place...

Those guys are so much fun.  I'll bet they are fun to ride with too.  It looks like that top wire is the only one electrified and it's just wrapped around the top of the post after the insulator.  I would have unwrapped or slid the wire off the post and holding the insulator moved that top wire away from the bike.  The way they did it looked like way more fun. That sounded like a weed burner fence, those things bite hard. You could hear it arcing all during the video.

I grew up around them type of fences.. they are fun and fine when your not touching it. It also feels like a 9v battery touching your tounge... no biggy, it's the little jolt that suprise you that makes it funny to watch :)

5 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

That's why you ride carbon, folks. Not for it's ride qualities, but for it's insulation properties, should you find yourself in a situation like this.

I don't know about the carbon in bikes but the carbon they use for the conductor in spark plug wires conducts electricity pretty good.

8 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Not to mention how the poor bike wound up on the fence in the first place...

The guy in the video said he didn't see the wire, I guess he was trying to ride around the fence and thought that was an opening.

9 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I grew up around them type of fences.. they are fun and fine when your not touching it. It also feels like a 9v battery touching your tounge... no biggy, it's the little jolt that suprise you that makes it funny to watch :)

Public Service Announcement: Never pee on an electric fence.

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Public Service Announcement: Never pee on an electric fence.

Why not... I have done it and it did not shock me. If you really wanna have fun, hold hands with someone and grab the fence.. you wont feel the shock, but your hand holder will.. :)

4 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Why not... I have done it and it did not shock me. If you really wanna have fun, hold hands with someone and grab the fence.. you wont feel the shock, but your hand holder will.. :)

These are not your grandfather's electric fences. The old style got the job done because the light shock got the attention of the livestock. The problem was tall weeds like milkweed and goldenrod would grow up under the fence and short it out. From the point where the weeds touched the wire on there was no voltage in the fence. The weed burner fencers have enough power to burn off the weeds that touch them so the whole fence stays electrified. Don't grab a weed burner fence, if you do you will make sure you don't do it again.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I don't know about the carbon in bikes but the carbon they use for the conductor in spark plug wires conducts electricity pretty good.

Now you've got my curiosity. If I get a chance, I'll stick my multimeter on my bike frame and see how conductive it is.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

These are not your grandfather's electric fences. The old style got the job done because the light shock got the attention of the livestock. The problem was tall weeds like milkweed and goldenrod would grow up under the fence and short it out. From the point where the weeds touched the wire on there was no voltage in the fence. The weed burner fencers have enough power to burn off the weeds that touch them so the whole fence stays electrified. Don't grab a weed burner fence, if you do you will make sure you don't do it again.

I have been shocked by 120v line from homes many of times... and a 240v once. I did not like the 240v... it hurt lIke a mother!

I learnt the other day while working on the electrical work here at home that you can not trust anything. I killed the 120 at the breaker, and still tripped another breaker after cutting through a wire.. who would have thought there were two seperate line running the same outlet... that was a hellova spark it threw

• Heart 1

My guardian angel has worked overtime with me many times. I had to change a 240 volt thermostat on a Hobart rinse booster. I couldn't find a breaker marked for it so I pulled the disconnect for the whole breaker box. I got down on the wet concrete floor under the dishwasher and started to disconnect the thermostat. I grabbed the wire with my needle nose pliers and there was a bright flash . The entire jaws of the pliers were gone, burned off. Turned out when they installed the rinse booster there wasn't room in the breaker box so the put a second breaker box outside on the side of the building. I couldn't find my favorite pliers with bare handles so grabbed a cheap dollar store pair with rubber handles. I never felt a thing.

• Heart 3