For The Vets.... Did Drill Sergeants Doll Out Corporal Punishment?

ChrisL

I went through Army Basic Training in 1984, Military Police OSUT (essentially 16 weeks of Boot Camp & AIT rolled into one).  I was surprised that the Drill Sergeants pounded guys.  Not just because and only the ones that deserved it.  Remember the scene in Full Metal Jacket, which is your left/right?   Totally happened.  I watched a Drill Sergeant pull a Private out of a van for mouthing off and beat his ass.   I also got drilled in the stomach by my Drill Sergeant for having a live round in my ammo pouch that I didn't realize during the post range inspections.  "No brass no ammo Drill Sergeant!!!!"  What the hell is this bam. You want to shoot me don't you Private?!?!!?  (Well I didn't before but I wanted to after he hit me). 

I have spoken to many other MP's that went through the same training but none of them shared the experience we did until I came across a guy who went through D company, 11th BN. I was in E company and E and D company had barracks totally separated from the rest of the training battalion and I think the Drill Sergeants went Rogue.  He is the only other person I came across who had the same experiences as me. 

For those of you who went through Basic Training, did the Drill Sergeants hit you guys? 

That sucks!  So those loud ass yelling speeches of DI's talking about respect and all on Youtube are bogus?!   Would love for a Captain to have seen the DI hit you and let the two of you square off in a ring or some such.  You still might get a beat down, but at least you could fight back.

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

That sucks!  So those loud ass yelling speeches of DI's talking about respect and all on Youtube are bogus?!   Would love for a Captain to have seen the DI hit you and let the two of you square off in a ring or some such.  You still might get a beat down, but at least you could fight back.

Dunno about that.  If you want to experience my boot camp, Full Metal Jacket pretty much covered it to a T.   I was still in when I saw it and I swear i was shaking during the boot camp scenes.  Not out of fear but rage. 

no, and I had a hard ass Filipino Chief Petty Officer for a (Navy equivalent of a)  DI.

It wasn't legal for them to beat us or Chief DeGuzman would have. Apparently that had just changed when I went in in the late 80s

like Page says...the Navy is more into breaking your mind. Its good training for being on a floating prison for 140 days without sight of land while they land jets on your roof all night

A lot of yelling and spittle flying and red faces.  No hitting.  I almost laughed out loud one day when the TI was brow beating this BIG kid, not fat, but linebacker size.  When the TI said "Do you think you can whip me?".  Apparently he didn't catch the smirk on the guys face like "With one arm, squirt!".  :default_sissy-fight-smiley: