If you had to pick just one favourite Far Side, could you?

Philander Seabury

32 minutes ago, Chris... said:

image.jpeg

There is a Hardee's just up the street from me that I used to frequent in my saturated fat eating days.  It has the same situation.  It is amusing to sit and eat your burger and fries and watch idiot after idiot push on the door.  It has a "pull" sign, but I guess everyone expects the door to be pushable, for some reason.  Even with much experience and knowing the way the door works still doesn't prevent people from mistakenly trying to enter by pushing instead of pulling.   :rolleyes:      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

There is a Hardee's just up the street from me that I used to frequent in my saturated fat eating days.  It has the same situation.  It is amusing to sit and eat your burger and fries and watch idiot after idiot push on the door.  It has a "pull" sign, but I guess everyone expects the door to be pushable, for some reason.  Even with much experience and knowing the way the door works still doesn't prevent people from mistakenly trying to enter by pushing instead of pulling.   :rolleyes:      

That is one of my favourite subjects.  A good design has many features that should lead you to do the right thing, called affordances.  A handle is usually meant for pulling, hence the Midvale thing is funny.  And a sign is usually only necessary when there is not a clear physical cue, like the handle, which adds to the funniness of the Midvale thing - that door clearly doesn't need a sign. 

A tremendous book: :)

417eQ5d7FiL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

6 minutes ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

That is one of my favourite subjects.  A good design has many features that should lead you to do the right thing, called affordances.  A handle is usually meant for pulling, hence the Midvale thing is funny.  And a sign is usually only necessary when there is not a clear physical cue, like the handle, which adds to the funniness of the Midvale thing - that door clearly doesn't need a sign. 

It's pretty rare but once in a while I stop at Pep Boys on the way home from work.  Their door has the push-bar on both sides, so both ways it looks like the door should be pushed, but you still need to pull it to get in.  It has gotten me a couple times.

Is it correct that building codes generally dictate that doors exiting from public places should be configured to 'push'?

I will look for that book, Ralph.

My Sister has a Far Side Coffee Table Book and I really love his work. But there is one that I just find hilarious, there are two spiders who have built a web at the bottom of a kids playground slide.  One is saying to the other, sure it's a gamble but just think if it works... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

It's pretty rare but once in a while I stop at Pep Boys on the way home from work.  Their door has the push-bar on both sides, so both ways it looks like the door should be pushed, but you still need to pull it to get in.  It has gotten me a couple times.

Is it correct that building codes generally dictate that doors exiting from public places should be configured to 'push'?

I will look for that book, Ralph.

I would think so, but maybe nothing says they can;t have a non-functional crash bar on the other side. :dontknow:

He is one of my favourite authors.  He wrote a whole slew of similar books, all good.  My favourite title:

413h2PVpLxL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My Sister has a Far Side Coffee Table Book and I really love his work. But there is one that I just find hilarious, there are two spiders who have built a web at the bottom of a kids playground slide.  One is saying to the other, sure it's a gamble but just think if it works... 

Far Side, Spider Webs, and a Slide.

Was a little off on the verbiage but you got the gyst of it... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Yeah, and that the doors are supposed to open outward for emergency egress reasons.

Pet peeve: double doors where one is locked.

• 3 weeks later...