Is it advisable to meet with the tax assessor to review our assessment?

Ralphie

It is not too bad, one of the lower in the neighborhood in fact even though it shouldn't be (unless you know about the unimproved 30 year old state of the intererior, but I dont think they came in).  I am not even close to a good bullshitter, so I am thinking I might cancel the appointment I made.

Not sure about your particular situation, but I would leave well enough alone, provided you believe your current assessment is fair.  Even if they were to drop it 10K or so, how much is that in your tax bill?  And what if they looked around and decided your assessment is too low and raised it?  That would really suck.  :o  

Ralph...I'm going to give you the same advice I have given every genius I ever knew: Don't be an idiot!

the last people you want to get the attention of is you local tax assessor

take the assessment and run!

• Heart 2

OK, the wisdom of the forum has emerged.  Cancelled.  Oh shit, that will arouse suspicion!

Plus, I just know that Baron is going to issue a great list of things I could have brought up.  But I gotta be me, and I am a minimalist.  :whistle:  It just felt like it was my duty as an Amurrican to bitch and gripe and try to get my assessment lowered.  But my motto has always been if you don;t do anything, you can't screw it up. Sadly, not always true, but close enough. :D

As we were selling our house we toured other open houses. They always list the property tax on the flyer. Toured through a little more expensive area. At least in their minds. Shit. Their prop taxes were $2-3 k lower than ours. We were shocked.

Here in Oregon taxes are limited to 3% raise a year. And step up at sale. But we had been in our house >20 years. So theorectically should have been on the bottom of the scale. We never appealed our tax

Our house was assessed for way more than we paid for it.  The seller said we should appeal it and get it reduced to the actual selling price but we never did.  We remodeled and they raised it again.  It's still less than I was paying for each of the two houses I owned in another county but it's four times higher than my neighbors are paying for their whole 120 acre farm with five bedroom house, three barns, and multiple outbuildings.