Break in at work!! Photo added

petitepedal

I am off today but one of my residents has sent me 3 emails including pictures since 5 AM.  

They took our large screen tv and fancy theatre system...including remotes...the computer screens..think they left the actual computers..they were desktops in our library..a printer, cash box...looks like they came in a window on the east side and went out a door on the west side...had to be two or 3 people that TV is huge...takes up half a wall  

IMG_0340.JPG

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

The loss of stuff is no big deal.  But some of the resident's may now be fearful for their safety, especially at night.  Elderly people need to be respected and cared for, not terrorized and frightened.

we won't terrorize or frighten you RR...don't worry :console:

• Heart 2

The unfortunate thing is.. we are for seniors 62 and older..and we are not a care center...BUT, we have residents who are aging in place ..some who have memory issues...and some of these people see someone at the door...and they just let them in...that isn't going to stop no matter what we say or do...Some people are very good at "security"...others...not so much...

Just now, Longjohn said:

Did you get enough to cover the cost of fixing the crack?

LOL...I can't get people to come and help at my apartment..they sure as heck are not gonna carry out a heavy tv..in the middle of the night in -7 plus a windchill :P  And speaking of windchill...hell that big TV was proably like a sail going down the street.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

LOL...I can't get people to come and help at my apartment..they sure as heck are not gonna carry out a heavy tv..in the middle of the night in -7 plus a windchill :P  And speaking of windchill...hell that big TV was proably like a sail going down the street.

I was glad to see you LOL, I didn't really want to insinuate but this is the café and that is what we do.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You do realize where this was posted don't you?  This is the "Café" it's like the Love Forum, it's what we do.

Don't mess with his sensibilities LJ.  He's old and delicate.  Best to just agree with the codger and move along.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Gee, I hope no one at the old folks home gets seriously hurt.  I guess we would have a major laugh fest here.

This made me think of a scene from a movie, ok I can't remember what movie.  I little old granny lady getting harassed by bikers. She kept making comments like "these dang bikers picking on a helpless old lady" as she blasted them with her shotgun.  I'm thinking maybe "Every which way but loose"?

I am sure the place is in chaos...I feel guilty for not being there...my co-worker in the marketing office is 76 and can barely do her job...when something like this happens she flips out...she can on the other hand shrug off a 911 call for a fallen or ill resident...(this is from her years of nursing home work)...Our 3rd maintenance guy is just back after hip replacement and we have an inspection on Tuesday so maintenance is busy without dealing with this...and then there are the residents who know everything there is to know about everything....

Yup...I think the head of maintenance was correct..I took a good day to be off  :runcirclsmiley:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

This made me think of a scene from a movie, ok I can't remember what movie.  I little old granny lady getting harassed by bikers. She kept making comments like "these dang bikers picking on a helpless old lady" as she blasted them with her shotgun.  I'm thinking maybe "Every which way but loose"?

Made me think of Barney telling Andy he should go wax the steps down at the old folks home if he likes a laugh so much, :)

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

He had a monkey too.

They took the stuff they could probably quickly and easily pawn or fence to get cash.  Probably for drugs; that was the idea in the neighborhood just west of my first apartment.

I was going to ask if the thieves made off mostly with walkers, dentures, and bedpans, but I'm glad your residents are safe.  Quickest solution is to add some basic security alarms, and make it easy for outsiders to see security measures in place (a flashing red light here and there work wonders).  After my first car stereo in that neighborhood got stolen, I got an alarm with a visible "armed" sensor.  I was no longer the easiest target, and it never happened again.

...I had a break in/burglary over the Christmas season at the house up in the foothills when we were not there.  It was one of the reasons I sold the place. :(

They just kicked in the back door ( a new, heavily framed steel exterior door).  Stole some tools and some big stereo speakers.  Did more damage in dollars than the stuff was worth.

Pick out a couple of your craziest olde guys, arm them with shotguns, and form a neighborhood watch.  What could go wrong ?

• Heart 1