Crossfit

Dirtyhip

Our crossfit gym is very down to earth.  The trainer I am going to work with is very anti-injury mentality and I spoke to him about the nutrition stuff.  I let him know that I am not one that will tolerate being bullied about diet and that I am currently on a very good nutrition plan.  If someone talked down to me about eating beans, then it would not go over so well.  

The cost isn't bad.  $200 beginning fee with training guidance and then 70 a month thereafter.  I am excited to do this.  I am in a rut with my training and I need some guidance on weight routines to get me nice and strong.  I need a kick in the ass.

I don't intent to be strong enough to lift a VW.  But, maybe I can get strong enough to lift a small motorcycle.  :)

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

A spin instructor at my gym broke her leg doing crossfit at another gym and hasn't been back to work since October. I told her husband she needs to stick with cycling, old bones break too easy.  She is younger than me but I think she is in her sixties.

I am trying to stay positive about this plan.  

You can lift weights and not break bones.  Maybe she has a bone density issue.  

I had a buddy at Pitt that did cross fit. He actually competed. A lot of folks just do the training, but don't compete.

the competitions are just nuts. I remember watching Joel the time he was on ESPN2 doing that stuff and I just couldn't believe what they had to do

cross fit is probably one of the most all around sorts of training out there.

besides, its good to do other stuff besides cycling. Its good for your mind, too.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am trying to stay positive about this plan.  

You know you don't just lift weights in Crossfit.  You pick them up and throw them then you chase them down and pick them up and throw them again.  When you're done throwing them you jump over them several times.  Dangerous stuff.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't know, I do know she is older than you.  The older you get the better your chances are you will break a bone.  She is supposed to be back in spin class next Friday.  She started back at Crossfit this week.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't know, I do know she is older than you.  The older you get the better your chances are you will break a bone.  She is supposed to be back in spin class next Friday.  She started back at Crossfit this week.

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

I had a buddy at Pitt that did cross fit. He actually competed. A lot of folks just do the training, but don't compete.

the competitions are just nuts. I remember watching Joel the time he was on ESPN2 doing that stuff and I just couldn't believe what they had to do

cross fit is probably one of the most all around sorts of training out there.

besides, its good to do other stuff besides cycling. Its good for your mind, too.

I told the trainer that I will not be a cross fit person that thinks rabdo is a badge of honor.  

Due to my age and pre-existing conditions, I have to train wisely. I just need a kick start.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You know you don't just lift weights in Crossfit.  You pick them up and throw them then you chase them down and pick them up and throw them again.  When you're done throwing them you jump over them several times.  Dangerous stuff.

But you have to have a man-bun to do so.

I think my present project will be as much cross as I can take right now...having had 3 carpal tunnel surgeries....banging on a small crow bar with a hammer makes for unhappy hands...  But go for it DH...

I need to get this job done...I am stressing it..and eating not good...I need my gym workouts too.

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I told the trainer that I will not be a cross fit person that thinks rabdo is a badge of honor.  

Due to my age and pre-existing conditions, I have to train wisely. I just need a kick start.

I think combining strength and agility drills and endurance work is a great combination.

while I don't do crossfit, over the last few years to rehab all the leg problems, I have picked up things like sports cones, agility ladders, battle ropes, and made some other things so that I can do circuit training here out in the yard. Its just to break things up. I'll do a set of bench press, run the agility ladder, work the heavy bag, do some plyo and go through it all again

you'll have a lot of fun, and training this time of year is always hard on the mind with the dark and the cold.

sounds like a good idea