Fish Friday

Caretaker

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

looks pretty good. What kind of fish?

and is that mash potatoes on top like a shepard's pie?

Fresh cod, smoked cod and salmon with the juice of one lemon and seasoning. Mashed potato topping. White sauce made with butter, flour and milk.

That's for two.

2017-01-13 17.40.54.jpg

that is awesome, caretaker!

so in Ireland, do you eat fish on Fridays all the time? Here in the States we (Catholics) are only asked to do that during Lent, but my mom told me that growing up, they always ate fish on Fridays. I guess what I'm asking is, is it more a tradition, or does the Church in Ireland still ask you to eat fish on Fridays throughout the year?

26 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Brings back bad memories of school lunches

If you got my fish pie you'd have been doing well. Turkey twizzlers?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNgo6P_HTcE

15 minutes ago, Nate said:

that is awesome, caretaker!

so in Ireland, do you eat fish on Fridays all the time? Here in the States we (Catholics) are only asked to do that during Lent, but my mom told me that growing up, they always ate fish on Fridays. I guess what I'm asking is, is it more a tradition, or does the Church in Ireland still ask you to eat fish on Fridays throughout the year?

No just tradition. Most Catholics here are a la carte anyway.

We do Fish Fry every Friday throughout the year in the Yoop. It's a common question during the day Friday; where do we want to go for fish fry tonight? If a place has a good fish fry, they better schedule extra staff; they're gonna need it!  We do a lot of cod, perch, whitefish, walleye.

When I'm at work scheduling a patient for an exam, sometimes I'll say, "How about Friday at 4?" I hear them groan a little... Then I add, "After your exam, you can go for fish fry." They perk right up. "Hey! Good idea! Ok!!"

Your fish pie looks pretty interesting Caretaker!

1 minute ago, smudge said:

The fishing is good, and we all like a good fish fry pretty much like the one Jim posted.

We have a big Scandanavian population (Finn, Swede).  Minnesota: Land of 10,000 lakes. Upper Michigan: Land of 10,000 Maki's.  ;) 

I didn't know that. I knew Minnesota had a lot of Norwegians. We used to go to a Norwegian Festival in Duluth (I think it was Duluth, I was just a kid) , but I didn't know the Yoop  had a large Scandinavian population. I've never been. I've only been to northern Wisconsin for a friend's wedding in Ashland there on the lake. Very pretty area. I imagine your area is similar geography

around here during Lent we have Friday fish fries and fish dinners at some of the parishes in the area, but then we're inland a bit, and we're largely German, Italian, Polish and Irish. So this is a great place to shop for sausages. Fish, not so much