Eldorado

petitepedal

one of my favorites, too

I also like the very similar Rio Bravo with John Wayne and Dean Martin

the scene in Eldorado where John brings the rancher's son home after he shot him is a classic Duke scene

• Heart 1

I saw El Dorado listed on Netflix last night. Didn't watch it as if I recall, it was over 2 hours long and that would be too late to stay up watching a movie. But I did wonder if it was worth watching, this post seems to think so.

I love Western movies but I would really like to see some modern effect in a western. Watched the Magnificent 7 the other night, Decent movie but I really don't remember the original,

Any other good Westerns recent makes with good effects (surround sound, blood gushing bullet wounds etc :P)  ??????

1 minute ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I saw El Dorado listed on Netflix last night. Didn't watch it as if I recall, it was over 2 hours long and that would be too late to stay up watching a movie. But I did wonder if it was worth watching, this post seems to think so.

I love Western movies but I would really like to see some modern effect in a western. Watched the Magnificent 7 the other night, Decent movie but I really don't remember the original,

Any other good Westerns recent makes with good effects (surround sound, blood gushing bullet wounds etc :P)  ??????

I'm sort of the opposite...I like the westerns of the 50s and 60s era. I like the acting and the landscapes more than the special effects

I like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns from that era the most.

you know that the Magnificent 7 is based on the Kurosawa masterpiece "Seven Samurai" right? So the Yule Brenner classic that the new Magnificent 7 is based on is itself an adaptation of a classic film

thing is Seven Samurai is a 3 hour black and white film in Japanese, so you really have to watch close to follow the story. I've seen it, and I saw how each of the 7 gunmen had similar traits as the Samurai in the film, but in Seven Samurai, the final fight is no guns, all hand to hand, and it goes on for about an hour. It kicks the hell out of the final showdown in Magnificent 7

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Nate said:

I like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns from that era the most.

you know that the Magnificent 7 is based on the Kurosawa masterpiece "Seven Samurai" right? So the Yule Brenner classic that the new Magnificent 7 is based on is itself an adaptation of a classic film

Now that you mention it, I did read that somewhere about the "Seven Samurai".;)

Oh yeah, I do like the Clint Eastwood movies. Got em on DVD! B)

One movie I would like to get is more of the silly Spaghetti Western, "They Call Me Trinity!" Series or whatever it is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Heart 1

You know, there's this one John Wayne movie that I both love and hate. Its like I love watching the first half, but towards the end of the movie I bail out. I don't even want to sit through it

The movie is "The Cowboys" from (I think) the early 70s. Its the one where John hires a bunch of school boys to help him on a cattle drive. The first half of the movie is great stuff, but then Bruce Dern shows up and plays this sleezy thieving bastard and he end up killing John. I mean, the only other film I remember John getting killed in was "Sands of Iwo Jima" he gets shot right at the end....but Bruce Dern is a really good actor, and he really plays a slimy fuck in the Cowboys, so I just can't stand to see John get gunned down by him in that film, so I always bail out before they get to that part of the movie. The boys still finish the drive and I guess everybody else lives happily ever after, but its been a long time since I saw the rest of that one! :D

• Heart 1

Yeah...I have a love hate relationship with the Cowboys too...I mean DAMN you killed the Duke....f I remember correctly he dies rather early to mid way on the movie....but it is a hard one to watch..Eldorado, Rio Bravo, The Sons of Katie Elder...good times on Friday and Saturday nights  growing up..when they had "Saturday Night (or Friday) at the Movies"...I think that was CBS but I don't recall.

1 hour ago, smudge said:

OMG, Cowboys is so heart wrenching in so many ways. I just can't watch it even though it is a great film.

that's why I always bail out on it. I love the first half, but Bruce Dern gunning John Wayne with a lot of movie still to go...I just can't do it

I just put in El Dorado, btw :D

• Heart 1

that movie has some great lines.

I love the scene early when we meet his character in the cantina with Nels McCloud's gang

Nels McCloud: "...there's only three men with HIS kind of speed. One's dead, the other is me, and the third is Cole Thorton

John: there's a fourth

Nels: Which one are you?

John: I'm Thorton.

and everybody in the cantina backs off like "holy shit, he's the one Nels knows about":o

then later James Caan (Mississippi) has just joined John on the road back to El Dorado and he's trying to justify why he wants to come along...

Mississippi: well, you saved my life twice and...

John: But I'm gonna be too busy to keep doing that! :angry:

I'm at the point in the movie where we get to see them trying to sober up Robert Mitchum. Nobody plays a drunk better than fucking Robert Mitchum. Lee Marvin is the only guy that ever comes close. :D

• Heart 3