Jump to content

Ja ever eat the pickled eggs out of the jar on the bar? Do you remember them?


Further
 Share

Recommended Posts



Yes I have. 

You don't see them as often as you use to. You still can find them in the taverns out in the sticks.  A friend of mine use to make and distribute picked eggs and pickles to the bars until the cost of doing business drove him out of business. I sometimes would have gallon jars of hot pickles and pickled eggs at home. 

I would bring them into work to share with my coworker and after a downing few the paint was peeling and the fumes would make you cry. We would clear the room and nun too soon when someone would say PULL MY FINGER.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

One of my favourite stick areas was an old German area up by the ski slope I used to frequent.  Even had the tongues in the jar, ow that is hard core!

Did they have the pickled pigs feet? I use watch grandpa chomping on them and always said no way

Image result for pickled pigs feet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember the pig feet, bar I hung out in as a teenager (drinking age in NY was 18 at the time) had a jar of eggs and a jar of pig feet. We all ate the eggs, I don't remember any one eating the feet but I'm sure that at some point in an evening of learning the ways of the drunk we all at least tried them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Oh FFS, they had them in the LGS this morning. (I noticed them and was tempted after reading this thread this morning. But it's too cold to sleep in the truck, so I passed on them.)

Well, you do live in a land stuck in time, so I suppose it is inevitable that they would be there.  Can we have one when I come out to visit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They still have them in most bars around here that don't have the kitchen open all the time.  Pickled eggs, ham hocks, and don't forget blind robins.  The pickled eggs you buy in the store (made in places like NYC or Chicago) can sit out on the bar without refrigeration for weeks.  I think they use a special vulcanizing process that keeps them from rotting.  Most bars make their own and keep them in the fridge, you have to ask for them. Eating pickled eggs and pigs feet are delicacies compared to blind robins.  I want to know who on the forum has been drunk/hungry enough to eat blind robins?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Oh FFS, they had them in the LGS this morning. (I noticed them and was tempted after reading this thread this morning. But it's too cold to sleep in the truck, so I passed on them.)

LGS? General? Gun? Grub?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

They still have them in most bars around here that don't have the kitchen open all the time.  Pickled eggs, ham hocks, and don't forget blind robins.  The pickled eggs you buy in the store (made in places like NYC or Chicago) can sit out on the bar without refrigeration for weeks.  I think they use a special vulcanizing process that keeps them from rotting.  Most bars make their own and keep them in the fridge, you have to ask for them. Eating pickled eggs and pigs feet are delicacies compared to blind robins.  I want to know who on the forum has been drunk/hungry enough to eat blind robins?

Blind Robin was a new one on me. Had to look it up. I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to eat one on a triple dog dare.

 Pickled eggs and Vienna sausages on the other hand, I have had my share of.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Blind Robin was a new one on me. Had to look it up. I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to eat one on a triple dog dare.

 Pickled eggs and Vienna sausages on the other hand, I have had my share of.

I had to look that up as well.  Never heard of them.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you eat blind robins and go to bed you wake up with the nastiest taste in your mouth. I would guess breath isn't very pleasant either. I don't know if anyone ever eats them if they haven't been drinking. I can't imagine.:drool:

Normally you have to go to Iceland or some Scandawegian country to find that kind of stuff.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

If you eat blind robins and go to bed you wake up with the nastiest taste in your mouth. I would guess breath isn't very pleasant either. I don't know if anyone ever eats them if they haven't been drinking. I can't imagine.:drool:

"You goddamn fool! Those aren't snacks! Theyre BAIT!"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...