For Sheep Herder only

Digital_photog

@sheep_herder Do you shear your own sheep and goats or have a professional shearer do it?  I have only done a couple sheep and a few more goats in my life.  We are having trouble getting a pro to do the llamas.  No one wants to mess with 2 llamas .  I have the Oster Stewart Shearmaster. Am I in over my head to do 2 llamas?

19 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

@sheep_herder Do you shear your own sheep and goats or have a professional shearer do it?  I have only done a couple sheep and a few more goats in my life.  We are having trouble getting a pro to do the llamas.  No one wants to mess with 2 llamas .  I have the Oster Stewart Shearmaster. Am I in over my head to do 2 llamas?

The shear master will work fine.  You may want to Google the type of restraint used for the llamas.  You will also want the correct head for the shearmaster.  I assume you already know that the cutter and combs used for sheep, goats, etc. are very different than those used for horses, cattle, and short haired goats.  We use to shear our own, and my wife sheared professionally for a few years in Oregon.  Last year we sold our nicest shearing machine and double wheeled sharpener to the fellow that shears our sheep. We still have one flex shaft machine for small jobs on the place.  He was able to shear Robert the Alpaca with us holding his halter.  But, Robert is a rather gentle soul.  I would have responded sooner, but we have been 'very' busy, and this is the first time I've looked at the computer in 2 days!!  We are waiting for one to lamb and some very cold lambs to warm up.

51 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

The shear master will work fine.  You may want to Google the type of restraint used for the llamas.  You will also want the correct head for the shearmaster.  I assume you already know that the cutter and combs used for sheep, goats, etc. are very different than those used for horses, cattle, and short haired goats.  We use to shear our own, and my wife sheared professionally for a few years in Oregon.  Last year we sold our nicest shearing machine and double wheeled sharpener to the fellow that shears our sheep. We still have one flex shaft machine for small jobs on the place.  He was able to shear Robert the Alpaca with us holding his halter.  But, Robert is a rather gentle soul.  I would have responded sooner, but we have been 'very' busy, and this is the first time I've looked at the computer in 2 days!!  We are waiting for one to lamb and some very cold lambs to warm up.

I have the shearmaster and 3 sets of goat/alpaca blades. One set of sheep.  I also have 2 of the clipmaster clipper I use for horses and cattle.  Plenty of blades for those. The one llama is very tame and easy to lead and work with.  The young one hasn't been handled a lot.  We do have a cattle grooming chute and I know a lot of others use those when working with llamas. Being larger they don't lay them down like sheep and alpacas.  I think I can get them done.  May not be a show quality job but good enough.  I have the sharpener and have sharpened my own blades and for others in our local 4H clubs. 

I thought you were probably busy and would answer when you had a chance.  It has been 50 years since I have shorn a sheep. Haven't had any of them since we are married.

• Heart 1