Crossfit Day 1 - Pure and raw honesty inside

Dirtyhip

11 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I admire everything you do physically...crossfit or not..you challenge your body way more than most "healthy" people do...You do not let MS define who you are...Rock it and HAVE FUN...don't let it become work!!

Thank you, Sweets. You touched on my biggest strength in that comment. My biggest strength is tenacity. Nothing seems to come easy, but if you keep doing it...it will come.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You never fail to inspire me to be better. 

Actually, your trainer talk stoked the idea a bit.  I hope this will be something that helps me.

I think I have a good baseline here.  I don't need to lose a bunch of excess weight, more strength and agility would be great though.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is not my intention here.  I am not trying to be annoying in talking about this.  Just sharing a new life experience, as I work on improving my weaknesses.

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing about it from an unbiased neophyte like you, DH.  I always thought it would be kind of cool, but that I wouldn't be able to do it because of my knees or flexibility issues, and that I wouldn't be able to recover well enough to do it more than a day or two a week.  Maybe they can talk you our of your dangerous grain addiction while you are there, too.

Talk on!

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing about it from an unbiased neophyte like you, DH.  I always thought it would be kind of cool, but that I wouldn't be able to do it because of my knees or flexibility issues, and that I wouldn't be able to recover well enough to do it more than a day or two a week.  Maybe they can talk you our of your dangerous grain addiction while you are there, too.

Talk on!

I am not sure you are going to get the crossfit banter that people are used to about this place. The people down there told me that they are not like most Xfit gyms.  The moves and exercises are the same, but the mentality is not like "You have to do this or that."  They don't do the class drills together, like I have heard of.  You get your WOD (work of the day) and modify it with your strength and abilities.  Everyone is doing their own workout and they can choose to post about it or not.  I did not write on the white board.

RG, you have your knees, and I have my right ankle, left shoulder and hips.  I bet you would be shocked to see the lack of stretch that I have in my right ankle.  Like, a bit past 90 is all I have in my right ankle.  

Oh, and grains are not dangerous, unless they are made into alcohol.    

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...be careful.  Some of those guys can hurt you. (Help you hurt yourself.)  Every time someone at the gym says "I want you to give 110% !!,"  that's a red flag you should dial it back to about 80%. :runcirclsmiley: 

Agreed.  I am good at protecting myself. 

It's good that I am so humbled in this place.  I am naturally competitive, but not at this place.  There is no competition from me there.  I saw one chic doing some pretty intense handstands.  Cripes, I can't do one. 

Just get me more rippled and strong.  I'll be happy with that.  Actually, it would be nice to open stubborn cans without walking to my neighbor's house with the offending jar.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is not my intention here.  I am not trying to be annoying in talking about this.  Just sharing a new life experience, as I work on improving my weaknesses.

OK, but you ARE going to give us updates and share fun or inspiring or embarrassing stories that come from this, right??

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

This first day was mellow.  I am just getting acquainted with them and their facility. The place is a giant garage with weights and random toys throughout.  Their equipment is like weights, kettleballs, ropes, rowers, boxes, bands, and stationary bikes.  It was overwhelming at first, but they really try to make you feel welcome.

Their clients range from kids to elders.  Some people have serious limitations and some are people so fit that you are in awe of what they are going.  My fears are under control. 

When, I drove up and parked, they had a few semi truck tires lingering outside the building.  Those made me chuckle, cause I can't imagine pushing those things around.  Maybe someday.

Anyway, today was a meet and greet.  I showed them my flexibility problems and explained my current limitations. My limitations don't seem so daunting anymore.  Everything can be modified and everyone has their own issues with their body or their drive/emotions.

My trainers asked what my goals were.  I told them that my goal was to be healthy and strong and to eventually be able to do body weight pull ups. Sadly, I can do about one crappy pull up that looks like shit. I mentioned to them that I saw running in the cross fit workout routine, but that running isn't a great sport for me.  They told me other things can be swapped for the running.  Even jump rope.  This made me excited, cause jumping rope is fun.  Yes, I am paying money for a trainer to tell me to jump rope.  HAHA  Whatever works, right?

Today we did stretching, and she had me do circuit.  The circuit today was like rower, sit ups, step ups on a box and pull ups using a big black band. I could have done more repetitions, but slow and easy is probably best. The pull ups felt hard, but everything else felt like endurance stuff.  I have endurance and lungs, but my strength is crappy.

What amazes me is how fast you lose muscle strength in middle age.  If you don't stay with it, it's gone.   I was working out so much more, before enduro and I felt strong.  I don't feel the same today.

As I attempted to explain my MS, my spasticity and current strength, I felt sad like I was going to cry.  I choked it back though.  No tears fell, but I had that quivery feeling and voice crackle. 

I click the like button 1000× times 

• Heart 1

I'm excited to read that the trainer is all on-board with adapting as you need it.  I'm pretty ignorant on all the cross-fit stuff except that a number of my friends who have done it have been injured somehow.  It sounds like your trainer is more about what you need than what they feel the need to shove you into doing.

It's already been stated, but I'll echo - you've always challenged yourself to get stronger, go farther, and be better.  I'm always so roused by your unflagging refusal to be defined or defeated by your MS. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, roadfrog said:

I'm excited to read that the trainer is all on-board with adapting as you need it.  I'm pretty ignorant on all the cross-fit stuff except that a number of my friends who have done it have been injured somehow.  It sounds like your trainer is more about what you need than what they feel the need to shove you into doing.

It's already been stated, but I'll echo - you've always challenged yourself to get stronger, go farther, and be better.  I'm always so roused by your unflagging refusal to be defined or defeated by your MS. 

Thank you, Fwog.

Update for today is that I know I got some good stuff done yesterday.  My chest and shoulders are sore.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you, Fwog.

Update for today is that I know I got some good stuff done yesterday.  My chest and shoulders are sore.

Sore is good to a point - and you know the point when it's not.  When do you go back?

36 minutes ago, roadfrog said:

Sore is good to a point - and you know the point when it's not.  When do you go back?

Tomorrow, at 5:30 AM, I will go again.  I think tomorrow will be official Day 1 in the trainers eyes.  Yesterday, was more meet and greet and check out what we do.  I imagine that they mix up your body parts.  I forgot to mention that we did some simple lunges with a stretch.  So, maybe tomorrow will be more arms or something.  I have no idea. I'm just going with an open mind and letting them mold me.  It's hard for me to relinquish control during training, but it's a good idea.  I lack the knowledge of movement for free weight lifting and have let my game falter a bit. 

Setting up the training plan, I will probably be attending 3x a week, in the AM.

You rock DH!  You never fail to inspire me to put my aches and pains aside and get out to exercise.  Thank you.  You won't fail at Cross-Fit.  The only things that are a failure are those which you don't give your all.  You will definitely give your all.  That said, be safe and sane in there1

• Heart 1