Who here is into rock climbing

BR46

Wo46 and I went indoor rock climbing today and we climbed until my hands felt like jello. We have been enjoying climbing for about 10 years now but it has been all indoors.

Wisconsin has some great places to climb outdoors and I would like to take the sport outside but Wo46 has her doubts.

• Heart 1

I was as a kid, but I got out of it when I left college.  You can start with bouldering, which is aboot all I would do now at my age.  It was great fun.  My high point was a trip to Seneca Rocks in WV, which was a totally awesome experience.  My local area had nothing like that, just maybe 100 footers or so.

I went so long ago there used to be a spire in Gunsight Notch called "The Gendarme", but it collapsed a while ago.  Oops!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1987/10/29/famed-wva-rock-takes-tumble-after-440-million-years/29f5d8fc-4598-4110-8cba-b9f188a41dc6/?utm_term=.3f57f4df0e11

105925075_medium_af488f.jpg

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

I have always wanted to try it..that and repelling the cliffs on the north shore...but never done it..and I think I am getting old now...:wacko: Outside...there is always the problem of snakes...yeah  then I think again!!

In college a guy got some great pictures of the fricken' snikes!

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

.but never done it..and I think I am getting old now...:wacko:

Age is just a number..I say just go for it

The look that you'll get from your friends when you tell them what you did this past weekend will be priceless.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Age is just a number..I say just go for it

The look that you'll get from your friends when you tell them what you did this past weekend will be priceless.

The great thing is you can start with easy routes and stick with them if you are so inclined.  Just don;t do like I always did skiing and get stuck on the black diamond routes. :D

I used to do lots of climbing.  I have done some semi-big wall stuff.  My ex boyfriend and I used to do multi pitch stuff.  We climbed Lover's Leap, Pywiack dome in Yosemite and some other decent sized stuff.  We never got into the multi day climbs, except for some glacier stuff which is not really rock climbing.  We didn't get into the hanging loft sleeping, probably because the equipment was super expensive. 

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We never got into the multi day climbs, except for some glacier stuff which is not really rock climbing.  We didn't get into the hanging loft sleeping, probably because the equipment was super expensive. 

This is not my idea of camping.

Related image

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

RandomGuy is into rock climbing.

I had done is for a while before RO was born, and haven't done it since.  I liked it, it definitely helps build strength and endurance, although I did hurt my hand doing it.  It mostly healed.

Anyway, I have never done it outdoors, and thought it would be fun to in CO.  I definitely wouldn't do it outdoors out here, deadly mosquitoes would take the joy out of it, I think, even if slathered up with toxic chemicals.  Ah, maybe I would.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I had done is for a while before RO was born, and haven't done it since.  I liked it, it definitely helps build strength and endurance, although I did hurt my hand doing it.  It mostly healed.

Anyway, I have never done it outdoors, and thought it would be fun to in CO.  I definitely wouldn't do it outdoors out here, deadly mosquitoes would take the joy out of it, I think, even if slathered up with toxic chemicals.  Ah, maybe I would.

Didn't SuzieQ go to the Shawungunks one time?  Is that near ZackNY?