The trouble with cold weather riding

Airehead

One ride for 2 people equals a load of laundry.  I wore a base layer, a mid layer, and an outer top layer, shorts, tights, wool socks, a buff and gloves.  Inside layers were damp and sweaty and the outside layers were muddy.  Mr. Aire wore base layers, top layers and a vest and then a hat and gloves.  I think he wore wool socks too because even in his winter boots he says his toes are cold.    The washer is now chugging away.

• Heart 4

Agreed.  The amount of laundry that athletes go through can be pretty daunting.  

In regards to the layering, I am a big fan of wool base layers, these days.  I like a long sleeve thin wool layer.  Wool seems to stay warm when wet, and it feels much better than a long sleeve poly layer.  Sheep herder likes us wearing wool too.  :)

Keep up the good work, Airdale lady.  You are rad.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Inside layers were damp and sweaty

Wait!  Doesn't that mean you are doing it wrong?  I thought athletic clothes were 'sposed to wick sweat away.  Of course it is hard to tell with me because I really only sweat when it is hot and humid outside.  But it's sort of moot if the outer layers are muddy anyway.

17 minutes ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Wait!  Doesn't that mean you are doing it wrong?  I thought athletic clothes were 'sposed to wick sweat away.  Of course it is hard to tell with me because I really only sweat when it is hot and humid outside.  But it's sort of moot if the outer layers are muddy anyway.

That is the idea, but the method is Not always perfect.  These clothes sometimes don't breathe as much as we need them to. It is best to not get wet, but I have yet to find that perfect gear Anand warmth match.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

That is the idea, but the method is Not always perfect.  These clothes sometimes don't breathe as much as we need them to. It is best to not get wet, but I have yet to find that perfect gear Anand warmth match.

I guess I am a little spoilt with our 30s and above lately.  I do faintly recall moisture problems when riding in twenties and teens.

46 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Along with the skin pain, I can't breathe.  The cold really hurts my throat and lungs. 

One side effect from my sinus work is a near instant swelling of the sinus passages in cold air.  I am hoping it eventually goes away but it hasn't yet.  Skin pain? 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That is no fun.  I used to ride with a guy that smeared his feet and face with Vaseline for the same reason.  He said it worked for him. 

There was a huge difference between yesterday's cloudy, windy and 30s ride and today's sunny, calm, and 40.  Brisk versus marvelous. :)

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed.  The amount of laundry that athletes go through can be pretty daunting.  

In regards to the layering, I am a big fan of wool base layers, these days.  I like a long sleeve thin wool layer.  Wool seems to stay warm when wet, and it feels much better than a long sleeve poly layer.  Sheep herder likes us wearing wool too.  :)

Keep up the good work, Airdale lady.  You are rad.

Smart Wool and PhD Wool are really nice and I am wearing them all the time now.  I have a couple outer layers that are nice enough to wear to work on a cold day.  Pricey but worth every penny.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That is no fun.  I used to ride with a guy that smeared his feet and face with Vaseline for the same reason.  He said it worked for him. 

I have this big ball type lip balm.  I smear it on my face and around my nostrils. It prevents my face from burning off from wind burn.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've decided to stop doing things I don't like, like running or riding in the cold.   I have nothing to prove.

I wouldn't say that I love doing stuff in the cold weather.  I do it because I have to, and it is important to get the fresh air.  Mu clothing investments have made it better, but it is still misery sometimes. Winter is a hard season.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one still trying to get the equation right. Ah well, at least we're getting outdoors!

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

One ride for 2 people equals a load of laundry.  I wore a base layer, a mid layer, and an outer top layer, shorts, tights, wool socks, a buff and gloves.  Inside layers were damp and sweaty and the outside layers were muddy.  Mr. Aire wore base layers, top layers and a vest and then a hat and gloves.  I think he wore wool socks too because even in his winter boots he says his toes are cold.    The washer is now chugging away.

Heh heh. When I get home and get strip down for shower, it looks like a cyclist exploded in our bathroom! Tons of clothes. Ha! 

• Heart 1

How many times you ride per week has to do with a big bundle as well. I have 3 main pair of shorts, 2 jerseys and about 15 underlayers. :D 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I wouldn't say that I love doing stuff in the cold weather.  I do it because I have to, and it is important to get the fresh air.  Mu clothing investments have made it better, but it is still misery sometimes. Winter is a hard season.

I love the brisk feeling up to a point.  I agree, fresh air in winter is very welcome and important.

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

I've always worn my regular shoes and shoe covered.  Santa brought me these--- wow are they warm.

image.jpeg

nice. Next winter I'll buy a good pair of warm boots for cold fat biking. Currently I use a pair of Timberland Gortex hiking boots w/ neoprene socks. Not bad actually.

• Heart 1