Crossfit Day 2 - Please don't laugh.

Dirtyhip

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband is going to take some pics of me, and I can compare them in six weeks.  This will be a fun project.  Project badass volume II, only this time I am the pupil.

You rock, DH. Keep it up.

I 'm patting myself on the back for 4 workouts at the gym this week. Have a hard time getting motivated for weights and core training. Last week was all cardio.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

You rock, DH. Keep it up.

I 'm patting myself on the back for 4 workouts at the gym this week. Have a hard time getting motivated for weights and core training. Last week was all cardio.

I was really hesitant to tell everyone how bad I have let myself falter.  It happened so darn fast.  Sheesh.  Coming forward for a change and talking about it is like accountability, right?

• Like 2

Oh man...I need to get my azz back in the gym...and I need to start wearing the cone of shame (maybe Aire will send me Lindy's when he no longer needs it) to help with the diet..Well actually...getting my house back together will help with the stress...and that should help my food and drink intake.  :runcirclsmiley:

You rock DH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was really hesitant to tell everyone how bad I have let myself falter.  It happened so darn fast.  Sheesh.  Coming forward for a change and talking about it is like accountability, right?

Faltering is easy which is why the majority of people do it.  You are back on track!

this fall I had some problems with a separated shoulder and then a pinched nerve in my neck. My left shoulder and bicep atrophied to the point where you can see the difference between my left and right side

I've been lifting weights and working on rehab for about 4 weeks now. Its gotten a lot better, but there is still such an imbalance....normally I curl 25 pound dumbbells for reps. Lots of reps. My left arm can't even raise a 25lb dumbbell once

I was working with just the weight of the bones in my arm over Christmas weekend, so I'm getting better, its just going to take a while

but regarding cross fit training, I really like combining a strength move like bench press, squats, or power cleans with agility type drills. I might do a set of bench, then  go strait to the agility ladder and then work the heavy bag...or something like that. Doing aerobic stuff like plyo or agility drills while you are doing some heavy sets feels pretty good

• Like 2

I like how you started with please don't laugh 

I will NEVER LAUGH at anyone who is working on inproving there health and physical fitness.

There's a body boot camp gym 5 miles from my house that Wo46 and I have a free one week membership pass that we are planning on using soon just to see what it's like. One or two days a week we like to do Plyometrics for a workout with 45 second on 15 second off for 45 minutes. 

I will never laugh at you well maybe just a little 

You rock 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I like how you started with please don't laugh 

I will NEVER LAUGH at anyone who is working on inproving there health and physical fitness.

There's a body boot camp gym 5 miles from my house that Wo46 and I have a free one week membership pass that we are planning on using soon just to see what it's like. One or two days a week we like to do Plyometrics for a workout with 45 second on 15 second off for 45 minutes. 

I will never laugh at you well maybe just a little 

You rock 

Can we laugh at people that don't use their grammar correctly? :D

And thanks.  HAHA

Go get it! I am really needing to do some core and upper body work during the indoor season. I know a few people who go to the local Cross-Fit. The results for most are amazing, but the cult-like tone of their conversations have me spooked. That and a couple people who seem injured from being pushed too far frequently. 

16 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I know my grammar sucks but I know the difference between three phase Y and Delta and I can weld your aluminum frame. 

I used to have a guy did all my aluminum welding back in the day when I raced.  He was amazing.  I have no clue where to take stuff now, he passed away quite awhile ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, groupw said:

Go get it! I am really needing to do some core and upper body work during the indoor season. I know a few people who go to the local Cross-Fit. The results for most are amazing, but the cult-like tone of their conversations have me spooked. That and a couple people who seem injured from being pushed too far frequently. 

I haven't felt the cult thing.  Maybe my cross fit gym is more mellow. We will see how I sound after they fully brainwash me. 

There is a second one in town.  I heard of a couple injuries from that place.   

17 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

One of our spinning instructors has been off since October with a broken ankle that she broke doing Cross=Fit. She is returning to work on Friday.

That is unfortunate.  This will not be me.  I am trying to be positive about this experience and my focus is just to be stronger and better.  

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Crossfit is the gateway drug to ultimate fighting.  Beware Rhonda, Dirtyhip is coming! :)  

HAHA.  Funny.

I sorta dig on the paramilitary sort of routines that I am reading up on the WOD board.  I have always enjoyed masochistic bliss.

Y'know that tired feeling you have at the end of the day of a super hard training day?  When your body is so tired that sleep comes quickly and you sleep like the dead.  For me, that exhaustion is addicting.  I love it.   It feels so good.   This is another reason that I dig climbing.  It hurts so good.

I look forward to being punished.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

In the beginning of the workout we did a bunch of stretching.  I only mentioned it briefly in my one sentence about it.   There was stretching. 

The Benefits of Static Stretching Before and After Exercise

https://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/the-benefits-of-static-stretching-before-and-after-exercise

I find the ideas surrounding fascial science intriguing. Especially that it could be linked to movement dysfunction and generalized pain issues28 through its own contractile abilities29,30. In fact, long-duration (from a practical standpoint though the article will state differently) static stretching of 10 minutes after repetitive cyclic motion (i.e. running, cycling, swimming, etc) may actually prevent the knots that limit and therefore alter our movement patterns31.

Stretching for longer durations in this manner decreases procollagen production. While that may sound like a bad thing, the authors of the study suggest that this downregulation causes collagen fibers to align in a more beneficial pattern, even though the repair may take longer. This is some of the best evidence I’ve yet to uncover as to why we absolutely should be static stretching after our training sessions- and for a long time (5 to 10 minutes per position).

In fact, to see the greatest changes in functional range of motion, fascial stretching of one to two times per week for a period of 6 to 24 months appears to have holistic benefit32. Honestly, the topic of fascia as related to function goes well beyond the scope of this article, so I will leave that alone for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

The Benefits of Static Stretching Before and After Exercise

https://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/the-benefits-of-static-stretching-before-and-after-exercise

I find the ideas surrounding fascial science intriguing. Especially that it could be linked to movement dysfunction and generalized pain issues28 through its own contractile abilities29,30. In fact, long-duration (from a practical standpoint though the article will state differently) static stretching of 10 minutes after repetitive cyclic motion (i.e. running, cycling, swimming, etc) may actually prevent the knots that limit and therefore alter our movement patterns31.

Stretching for longer durations in this manner decreases procollagen production. While that may sound like a bad thing, the authors of the study suggest that this downregulation causes collagen fibers to align in a more beneficial pattern, even though the repair may take longer. This is some of the best evidence I’ve yet to uncover as to why we absolutely should be static stretching after our training sessions- and for a long time (5 to 10 minutes per position).

In fact, to see the greatest changes in functional range of motion, fascial stretching of one to two times per week for a period of 6 to 24 months appears to have holistic benefit32. Honestly, the topic of fascia as related to function goes well beyond the scope of this article, so I will leave that alone for now.

Yes, we can all agree that stretching is important.  I do it before and after the gym work.   

I wasn't placing emphasis on this enough in previous years.  I am trying to change that bad habit.

45 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes, we can all agree that stretching is important.  I do it before and after the gym work.   

I wasn't placing emphasis on this enough in previous years.  I am trying to change that bad habit.

...I only mention it because one of your major concerns appears to be some loss in ROM due to injury.  That ROM loss can snowball and lead to repetitive injury if you are not careful. Which in turn leads to chronic injury syndromes of different sorts.........don't ask me how I figured this out, please.:blush:

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I only mention it because one of your major concerns appears to be some loss in ROM due to injury.  That ROM loss can snowball and lead to repetitive injury if you are not careful. Which in turn leads to chronic injury syndromes of different sorts.........don't ask me how I figured this out, please.:blush:

MS can cause spasticity.  Some of my ROM issues are from the MS, some since childhood, and some from being complacent about the need to stretch daily.  I am stretching more religiously and my flexibility is already getting better.  Note:  Never leave children in those roll around walkers.  Let them walk without those contraptions.  I was left to roam around in one for such a long while that it made me toe walker and my heel cords are dramatically tight.

Bodies are always a work in progress.

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I am just waiting to hear about your snatch:)

Good luck.  I enjoyed Cx Fit.  Take it easy.  Don't get a big ego about having to do big weights like some big dummy heads on this forum. 

When I go in the box, I am the most humble person there.  You would not believe it, but I am taking it easy.  Nothing to prove here.  I just want more strength.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 11:17 AM, Nate said:

this fall I had some problems with a separated shoulder and then a pinched nerve in my neck. My left shoulder and bicep atrophied to the point where you can see the difference between my left and right side

I've been lifting weights and working on rehab for about 4 weeks now. Its gotten a lot better, but there is still such an imbalance....normally I curl 25 pound dumbbells for reps. Lots of reps. My left arm can't even raise a 25lb dumbbell once

I was working with just the weight of the bones in combining a strength move like bench press, squats, or power cleans with agility type drills. I might do a set of bench, then  go strait to the agility ladder and then work the heavy bag...or something like that. Doing aerobic stuff like plyo or agility drills while you are doing some heavy sets feels pretty good

similar to what I have been doing.  I have been pairing two things together.  Push/Pull kinda thing.  rowing between.  All 10 reps.  all light wieghts. 

row 1 min

squats/push ups

row 1 min

dead lifts/pull ups

row 1 min

bench/plank/sit ups

row 1 min

shoulder presses/raises

row 1 min

kettle bell swings/curls

I try to go through that 3 times and I am pretty spent.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

When I go in the box, I am the most humble person there.  You would not believe it, but I am taking it easy.  Nothing to prove here.  I just want more strength.

That attitude will serve you well.  I really enjoyed the mobility part of cx fit.  I am sure you will too!  Keep getting after it!