All you truck guys...

Dottleshead

Is this a good deal?  Yes, I realize it's a Ford Ranger and a gutless turd w/ only 4 cylinders.  But as I mentioned, I only plan on using it as a runner and loading yard crap in it or maybe transporting a coffee table or equivalent.  I see myself using it to burn miles down the highway to visit my old man 60 miles away and parking in Park & Ride lots -- so power and penis size aren't going to matter here (the door has been left open for ya all).  

Seriously, yay or nay at this price?  I drove it and it's in great shape.  With tax and cracked wind shield, it's about $6100.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/22736666

For whatever it's worth my dad owned two Rangers - he drove a 1987 until he traded it in on a 1996 which he had for at least five or six years.  I don't think he ever had a major problem.

The 5-speed transmission in a lot of late-80s Rangers/Bronco IIs had a chronic problem, but you're looking at an automatic so never mind.

23 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

I ran an appraisal on it using the software my wife uses at the bank.  In your area the value may be lower or higher.  I would guess higher since I know most costs there are more.

Clean retail price appraised at $4695.  Try an offer in that area and see what they do.

The truck is in great shape interior and exterior.  My old man has one that I wish he'd sell to me instead but for some reason at the age of 85, he feels like he needs a truck around the house.  

10 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

I transposed numbers in that price.  It should have read $4965 not 4695

I was talking with my friend who that the price here was a little high.  Here's what Kelly has to say:

https://www.kbb.com/ford/ranger-regular-cab/2002/long-bed/?vehicleid=4043&intent=buy-used&options=155744|true|155722|true|6317195|true|155756|true|155798|true&mileage=104995&condition=good&pricetype=retail

Your research seems to only differ from KBB by $200+.  So I think I would be paying about $1000+ more than I should.

I did not look at any sites, but just seems like too much money for something that old with over 100K miles on it. 

Yes, I think that would be a nice little truck, but I don't think it's worth quite what they are asking.  Maybe 1grand less or so and you are probably in the ballpark.

I have owned 2 Rangers.  Both were excellent trucks.  I have had 2 Explorers, 2 Expeditions and my current F150.  Very few problems out of any of the Ford trucks big and small that I have had.  That Ranger would prob be perfect for what you are talking about needing.

Well Edmunds says $4382 Dealer and $3k Private party. They have had that truck >4 months. They are about to let it go either back to auction or to you for a song. Offer $3k then walk out. If they chase you it's a deal. 

And no F'n way that pig gets 30 mpg. 24 tops

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/2002/tmv-appraise-results.html

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, dotman17 said:

and cracked wind shield

Wondering what else they didn't fix on the truck, if they not willing to correct something so obvious as this.  I'd also look for a reason why the windsheld cracked in the first place.  If the crack starts at an obvious stone chip, that could explain it.  Otherwise look for an ill-fitted windshield or some body damage that doesn't allow the windshield to fit properly.

Will the truck pass inspection with a crack like that in the windshield?

Body looks real good except for a small ding in the tailgate, but then again the pictures were taken on a rainy day, and water on the paint will hide lots of little imperfections. 

If they've had it sitting on their lot for months, then check the rotors.  Odds are they're rusty, sure, they'll 'clean up' once you drive it.  But they could become pitted with rust from just sitting that long.  Once rotors are pitted - especially some of the cheaper replacements - they won't 'clean up' from use, and you can't turn them, you can only replace them.  By then the pads may be trashed from running up against pitted/grooved rotors so you have to replace them too. 

I'd suggest if you want the truck then at least make them replace the windshield and the rotors.

Then check that they replaced the rotors,and didn't just turn them, before you take delivery.

Make an offer! Start a conversation on it! Why not? Of course the price is high; it's their starting price. Of course you'll counter low; it's YOUR starting price. If the truck is decent, you can meet in the middle somewhere.

Of course start with a test drive. How does it ride? How does the engine perform?

I wouldn't start making demands like replace the windshield and whatnot. It's a used truck; there will be issues. But as long as the issues aren't major and you can get the price down...Psht! Go for it!

Price may be a little high, but really trying to find a good Ford Ranger isn't an easy task anymore.  Given the mileage and condition, I'd say it's not a bad price.  You can certainly do a lot worse for more money.

Basically, if you can drive it off the lot, it's going to cost you a couple grand now a days.  This looks clean and not to many miles for the year, and the price reflects that.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

It's cute, but I feel overpriced.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Price may be a little high, but really trying to find a good Ford Ranger isn't an easy task anymore.  Given the mileage and condition, I'd say it's not a bad price.  You can certainly do a lot worse for more money.

Basically, if you can drive it off the lot, it's going to cost you a couple grand now a days.  This looks clean and not to many miles for the year, and the price reflects that.

4 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

This says about 5,600.  So really only off about $500.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2002/Ford/Ranger-Pickup-1-2-Ton-V6/Regular-Cab/Values

The problem is I have convinced myself I really don't want it but in fact I wake up wishing I had it.  I've searched the web for a truck with similar features in my area and I keep coming up with zeroes.  Truth is I want it -- I just don't want to get ripped off.  Still it's all about supply and demand and if nobody else is supplying it, then they can demand a little more.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Like someone said, offer 3, they'll laugh.  Say you think it's very over priced, you will leave with it for 4, plus they'll put in the windshield and anything else it needs to pass inspection.

No, the guy already stated what they'd be willing to come down to.  I have to wait now and see if it remains on the lot.  If it's still there in a couple more weeks, I have a shot at it.

How much did he say he'd come down to? (Or is it none of my beeswax...)  Didn't someone say it's been there for four months? Does he want to sell it? Apparently he has enough money he's not interested in getting rid of it too soon.

I feel ya about being torn. It SEEMS like a nice little truck. Have you taken it for a ride yet? Probably should. Who knows, you may decide whoops, this ain't the truck for me. If you decide you love it, set aside some  pennies. ;) 

• Heart 1

I keep thinking about that old '87 Ranger my dad owned.  Was a great truck - 4x4, extra cab, white exterior and this really nice blue interior that I found soothing.  Also had the best sound system of any of our vehicles up to that point.  

I learned to drive a stick in that truck, and if he didn't need it my dad would let me drive it to work on snowy days.  I remember leaving work in a snowstorm and driving to pick up one of the prettiest girls in school for a date.  (she ditched me soon after but it was a nice night at least)  

Even though it wasn't mine, I loved that truck.  If you get this one I hope you love it just as much.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

No, the guy already stated what they'd be willing to come down to.  I have to wait now and see if it remains on the lot.  If it's still there in a couple more weeks, I have a shot at it.

I honestly think with what they are wanting, they can sit on it awhile and will move it for what they are asking.  You just can't find many in this shape at this price, if someone wants a Ranger or a small truck for that matter, hard to find one in better shape for less money.

Co worker keeps looking.  Now he will sell you his current Ranger, so what it's rusting out with we think, 230K on it and needs new tires.  He'll let that go for around a grand.

1 minute ago, smudge said:

How much did he say he'd come down to? (Or is it none of my beeswax...)  Didn't someone say it's been there for four months? Does he want to sell it? Apparently he has enough money he's not interested in getting rid of it too soon.

I feel ya about being torn. It SEEMS like a nice little truck. Have you taken it for a ride yet? Probably should. Who knows, you may decide whoops, this ain't the truck for me. If you decide you love it, set aside some  pennies. ;) 

I did drive it and it's a winner.  Having driven manual trucks and this automatic one -- it's pretty nice.  The whole thing has been detailed and the engine runs smoothly.  I think there is a small oil leak somewhere as I saw a very small pool where it had been parked.  I guess it could have been another car but I suspect not.  It just seems like it'd fit the bill for what I want.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

I honestly think with what they are wanting, they can sit on it awhile and will move it for what they are asking.  You just can't find many in this shape at this price, if someone wants a Ranger or a small truck for that matter, hard to find one in better shape for less money.

Co worker keeps looking.  Now he will sell you his current Ranger, so what it's rusting out with we think, 230K on it and needs new tires.  He'll let that go for around a grand.

I'd buy that truck for a grand easily and put new tires on it.  If only it wasn't across country.  :P

Clean truck for $5000 grand is a no brainer.  They hold value well.  Ask if you can have your mechanic look at it.  Maybe try to find source of oil leak?

I would buy it.  I hope to find a small truck like that for Wade in the next year or so.  At 6'3" he is not going to fit in a lot of smaller cars.

• Heart 2

Just now, jsharr said:

Clean truck for $5000 grand is a no brainer.  They hold value well.  Ask if you can have your mechanic look at it.  Maybe try to find source of oil leak?

I would buy it.  I hope to find a small truck like that for Wade in the next year or so.  At 6'3" he is not going to fit in a lot of smaller cars.

This one would be closer to 6 grand.  Would you still do it?

5 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I'd buy that truck for a grand easily and put new tires on it.  If only it wasn't across country.  :P

Dot

you can find that kind of deal on CL all day long. You are talking yourself into this truck. Just like the house...don't fall into love with it until after it closes

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yeah, if my son was closer to driving and I came across a truck this, I'd buy it and let it sit in my drive for a year.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

This one would be closer to 6 grand.  Would you still do it?

Yeap, anymore I don't look at a grand as a big deal anymore.  20% is kind of my agreement point usually, at that point it's a tip, above that I may try to negotiate.

Of course, while I'm not at Petite's level, car buying for me is usually a several month process.  So I have a good idea of what the market is doing and at what price I need to jump on a vehicle before it's gone since I've usually missed out on a few by dragging my feet.

• Heart 1

On the other hand I bought Lil Scrapr a 2002 Corolla. $1200 or 1300. Put a few repairs in it so cost is now $2000. Damn engine has massive oil leak. Quart every 500 miles. 

Bit the bullet and bought a $3000 Volvo...which now has a door dent. Not his fault of course.    :angry:

don't listen to me

• Heart 1

So what causes engine oil leaks? I’m glad you asked. The vast majority of leaks are due to degraded engine gaskets, oil seals or bad connections. Crawl under the car and check the oil pan seals. While you’re there also check the oil pan drain plug. Next check the timing cover seal and the valve cover gaskets. Problems here can require extensive repairs that are not cheap but don’t panic. You can always try fixing oil leaks yourself first. It's not hard. Here are a few options.

bad rings cause massive oil leaks. That is what this Corolla has got  lots of.  The good thing is you don't have to go in for oil changes. Just keep adding oil. Or if you do go in take advantage of the free top off policy

We are having a snow day here so I have lots of time on my hands

I am not finding any 4 cylinder automatic Ford Rangers XLT out there for less than 6K.  I am beginning to think this is a good deal -- though my engineering friend and TK both say I should skip trucks altogether and get something economical.  But if I am to go truck, this one seems to be a fair deal. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I am not finding any 4 cylinder automatic Ford Rangers XLT out there for less than 6K.  I am beginning to think this is a good deal -- though my engineering friend and TK both say I should skip trucks altogether and get something economical.  But if I am to go truck, this one seems to be a fair deal. 

If the transmission fluid doesn't smell burnt, go with your instincts. Or dont. ;)

I can't think of anything bad to say about the Rangers except (especially depending on which rear end they put in it) the fuel mileage ratings are optimistic at best.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Here, just a few hours North, negotiable price and a 32% exchange savings right off the top. 

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Ranger/SURREY/British+Columbia/19_9966459_/?ursrc=pl&urp=8&urm=8&showcpo=ShowCPO

Yeah, but since it is from Canada, don't you have to drive int on the left side of the road?

• Heart 1