WWJD

Mr. Beanz

What would Jimbo do? :D Years ago my camera broke and a local forum member named Jimbo offered up a $400 barely used video recorder so that I could continue my postings. I could not accept it as it was a nice gesture, but just not me to take something for nothing. I don't think Jimbo himself would either.

But I ran into a gal who asked if I knew a rider on the trail. Guy has a bit of an issue so I can see her point of wanting to do something nice for him. She told me she liked his story and she spoke with him once. He said he would like fancy wheels but could not afford it. Ok, little info inserted here and not because I am jealous, just shocked. He and his wife had the same exact bikes. He didn't feel his was doing him justice so he bought himself a better bike. Though he and his wife were fairly equal, sometimes she was stronger from what I saw. He ended up buying a nicer bike for himself equipped with electronic shifting. He rides a nicer bike any of the riders we have ridden with. He also had custom built wheels, though not super high end.

I myself am a bit different. Gina's bike was $ 1,000 more than mine off the shelf. I upgraded my wheels to Ultegra, I upgraded her wheels to Dura Ace. Yes, I ride more than she does which would be an argument by most who would buy themselves the better bike.

Anyway, this gal asks if I can put her in contact with this guy. Sure, I pass on the info to him to get a hold of her. She told me her intentions then I passed on the contact info. Later I see the guy and ask if he got a hold of her (and her hubby, no romantic stuff here). He said yes and I waited to see if he would mention anything about the wheels. He didn't!

Later I see them riding together. I looked that day to see if he had fancy wheels, nope! I didn't say anything not knowing if she even told him of her intentions. I see them ride once again but didn't pay attention to his wheels as they rolled by in the opposite direction.

But not long ago, I see him and he has fancy wheels. So I bring it up to see what he would say. Oh so you got new wheels, yup yup! Didn't say anything about it. Either he doesn't really I know or he doesn't want anybody to know they were a gift. Honestly,  if it were me, I'd tell out friends that it was a gift then I'd even throw in a  few great comments about he gal and kiss her ass some! :lol:

But he didn't say anything,his prerogative (OK now I know I can't spell that word :facepalm:).

After the ride, Gina and I discussed the situation. It was nice the gal wanted to give him the wheels over his story. But both of use said that we would not accept such a gift of that value from anyone, especially a stranger I had only met once.

Knowing the wheels are worth well over $1000 easily! Deep section carbon fiber wheels, name brand, no knock of stuff. :o

I know she went out and bought them as she told me her plan. I myself would not accept or allow someone to do something like that for me. If my daughter won the lotto yeah but not some stranger that I had met once or even twice, or even rode with for 10 years.

If someone had an old saddle laying around, a use tube with a patch, an old stem but a set of deep carbon wheels?  I couldn't do it!

Yowza, can i tell your friends some sad stories?!?!!?   When my wife and i were first starting out we accepted a lot of nice furnishings from family members as it was extra stuff for them and we were broke.... That was about it and now not so much, shoet people ask us for stuff....

Funny in that when I bought my Bianchi I set aside about $3K on a bike for my wife.  She ended up going a lot lower tier (105 equipped Trek) but she also got completely kitted out so it was closer to $2K after all was said & done.  Still a nice upgrade from what she had.  But then when I got my Bianchi she was like, oh nice, I want a Bianchi.....  When we sold my my mom's house and i got a big chunk of change I wanted to upgrade my CX bike, let her know she could get her Bianchi and we'd redo the kitchen.   She got a sweet $3K Bianchi (we made a few upgrades from stock) and we went over budget on the kitchen so I hosed myself out of my new bike...  Oh well. 

Wow, you guys must have some sweet Bianchis.

I have never paid over $1,050 for one of my bikes. :P

Only the tandem and Gina's bike which was $2100 on sale (reg $2800) before upgrades. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Wow, you guys must have some sweet Bianchis.

I have never paid over $1,050 for one of my bikes. :P

Only the tandem and Gina's bike which was $2100 on sale (reg $2800) before upgrades. 

Yeah both are pretty nice.  Mine was bought with a huge bonus I got at work and hers was bought with a significant chunk of money we got from the selling of my mom's house.  We don't really live lavishly and I wouldn't have purchased that much bike otherwise.  My Mtn bike retailed at about $2,300 but I got a used demo for 1/2 the sticker price. 

• Heart 1