Greece in July

Square Wheels

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Holy crap, airfare is not cheap.

Once you get to one of the low airfare sites, search back and forth for different leave dates and return dates around when you need to be there.  Air fair varies day by day and the differences are significant.  You can also check departures from other locations than Logan.  Look at Providence and even Hartford.

My Malaysian trip involved a 1am departure from JFK on a middle of the week day with an extra return stopover.  Once you have some choices pm Wilbur for advice on specific airlines and airports.

If you have the time, I recommend visiting some of the islands. Santorini and Sifnos were the two we visited, but the others are very nice too, or so I hear.

The food is fabulous, the vistas are spectacular, and the people are very warm and welcoming.

• Like 2

Mrs. TK and I went in June 2015 for our daughter's wedding.  Weather was hot but pleasant.  Drivers are crazier than Boston drivers, especially the motorcyclists.  You can spend a week in Athens alone.  The food was inexpensive for the most part, and delicious.  Some places don't take credit cards, so I would recommend bringing about three times as much cash as you think you need.  Change dollars to euros before you go.  Almost everybody speaks enough English that you can communicate.  Set up your phone and at least one credit card, if it's not already, to use internationally.  You can set up an ATM card to get cash as well, but you have to make sure which machines it will work at and if there will be any of those type near where you will be.  We were there just as the last financial crash happened, but we were still able to get up to 400 euros per day from the machine.

Instead of flying out of NY, we drove to Montreal and saved several hundred dollars per ticket by flying out of there even after hotel and parking.  Be ready for the 12 hour flight, and that was direct to Athens.  It was cool flying over the Alps though.

Acropolis Parthenon04.jpg

Hadrian's Gate

Athens Hadrian's Gate.jpg

Temple of Hephestus:

Athens Temple of Hephestus.jpg

Mystras, well worth the drive to get there:

Mystras.jpg

Gythio, seacoast town where my daughter was married:

Gythio.jpg

Something to keep in mind:

Sparta Tshirt.jpg

• Like 4

Spent a lot of time travelling round the Greek islands during my long holidays/vacations when I was in the merchant navy/marine back in the 70s and 80s. Very nice time.

I generally like to go to places like Greece in May before it gets too hot. Should have a good time though if you stay in the shade and out of the mid-day sun.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Once you get to one of the low airfare sites, search back and forth for different leave dates and return dates around when you need to be there.  Air fair varies day by day and the differences are significant.  You can also check departures from other locations than Logan.  Look at Providence and even Hartford.

My Malaysian trip involved a 1am departure from JFK on a middle of the week day with an extra return stopover.  Once you have some choices pm Wilbur for advice on specific airlines and airports.

We bought the tickets last night.

25 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

If you have the time, I recommend visiting some of the islands. Santorini and Sifnos were the two we visited, but the others are very nice too, or so I hear.

The food is fabulous, the vistas are spectacular, and the people are very warm and welcoming.

We'll be in Athens for a few days for the wedding, that's where daughter #1 is from.  Daughter #2 is from Crete, but we won't be going there.  We will be going to one of the islands, not sure which one.

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Instead of flying out of NY, we drove to Montreal and saved several hundred dollars per ticket by flying out of there even after hotel and parking.  Be ready for the 12 hour flight, and that was direct to Athens.  It was cool flying over the Alps though.

Crap, this is a good idea, as I said, we already have our tickets.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

SW,

You won't like the heat. You won't like the flights. You won't like the food. You won't like... 

Yeah, I'm trying to stay positive.  I want my kids to have a nice time.  This trip is going to bankrupt me.  Almost 4 grand just for tickets.  I'll get over the flights.  The food will be good.  I'll be OK in the heat.  Looking forward to seeing both of the girls, they are great kids and I don't see them much now that they are grown.  Looking forward to the island.  If I get too frustrated, I'll just go out for a run.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yeah, I'm trying to stay positive.  I want my kids to have a nice time.  This trip is going to bankrupt me.  Almost 4 grand just for tickets.  I'll get over the flights.  The food will be good.  I'll be OK in the heat.  Looking forward to seeing both of the girls, they are great kids and I don't see them much now that they are grown.  Looking forward to the island.  If I get too frustrated, I'll just go out for a run.

4 grand for tickets to Malaysia was cheap.  I assume coach.  Read everything possible about long distance air travel and prepare yourself properly.  I'd be interested in the new compression socks for air travelers.  I didn't take them and my feet became quite swolen which lasted several days in the heat of Malaysia.

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

4 grand for tickets to Malaysia was cheap.  I assume coach.  Read everything possible about long distance air travel and prepare yourself properly.  I'd be interested in the new compression socks for air travelers.  I didn't take them and my feet became quite swolen which lasted several days in the heat of Malaysia.

My flight surgeon doesn't support the use of compression socks.  I don't know why as many doctors do, including a vascular surgeon I saw after experiencing a DVT.  I do not use medical compression socks as they are too tight.  I buy them from a running store and in the correct size for my leg.  I find they minimize or eliminate swelling and keep your legs feeling fresh.  My advice-  Get up and move frequently.  Stay hydrated, very hydrated.  Take an aspirin before the flight. Flex your feet while seated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We will be going to one of the islands, not sure which one.

If you want upscale and are into the night life, Mykonos is the one you want. If you want affordable, and more of a taste of the local culture, islands like Santorini, Sifnos or Lesbos are a better choice.

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

If you want upscale and are into the night life, Mykonos is the one you want. If you want affordable, and more of a taste of the local culture, islands like Santorini, Sifnos or Lesbos are a better choice.

I need to listen better to my wife, I think she said Sifnos.  Again, lot's of us going from Athens to "the island", so not a lot of choice.  We could stay on island #1 for a couple of nights and then go to another island, but that's more moving than I want to do.  We need to go back to Athens to get the flight home as it is.  One island is enough.  I'll pass on the night life.  I'll be in bed by 9.

• Like 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I need to listen better to my wife, I think she said Sifnos.  Again, lot's of us going from Athens to "the island", so not a lot of choice.  We could stay on island #1 for a couple of nights and then go to another island, but that's more moving than I want to do.  We need to go back to Athens to get the flight home as it is.  One island is enough.  I'll pass on the night life.  I'll be in bed by 9.

If you do pick Sifnos, I can recommend a great hotel. There is a very nice beach there too, which was not too crowded when we were there in May, but in July, I expect it would be a bit nuts.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

My flight surgeon doesn't support the use of compression socks.  I don't know why as many doctors do, including a vascular surgeon I saw after experiencing a DVT.  I do not use medical compression socks as they are too tight.  I buy them from a running store and in the correct size for my leg.  I find they minimize or eliminate swelling and keep your legs feeling fresh.  My advice-  Get up and move frequently.  Stay hydrated, very hydrated.  Take an aspirin before the flight. Flex your feet while seated.

On the Malaysia trip (15 hours to Taiwan in coach) I did not wear any compression socks.  I will take this advice in the future.  Staying hydrated is good but conflicts with staying asleep which is another way to survive long trips.  

Just now, maddmaxx said:

On the Malaysia trip (15 hours to Taiwan in coach) I did not wear any compression socks.  I will take this advice in the future.  Staying hydrated is good but conflicts with staying asleep which is another way to survive long trips.  

People panic if I sleep too much. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

If you do pick Sifnos, I can recommend a great hotel. There is a very nice beach there too, which was not too crowded when we were there in May, but in July, I expect it would be a bit nuts.

Thanks, we plan to rent a house.  They'll be at least 5 of us.  Me and my daughter have celiac, so if we'll be spending 4 or 5 nights here, it will be a lot easier / cheaper to feed ourselves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Thanks, we plan to rent a house.  They'll be at least 5 of us.  Me and my daughter have celiac, so if we'll be spending 4 or 5 nights here, it will be a lot easier / cheaper to feed ourselves.

I think this is the view from one of our hotel rooms,can't remember which. We had rooms with a sea view on both islands.

2s9cdhk.jpg

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The historical sights in Athens are a must, and the changing of the guard at the parliament buildings are worth while. I think the Monty Python crew might have gotten their inspiration for their ministry of silly walks from that.

But otherwise, the city itself is in desperate need of a wash and a paint job. 

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Read everything possible about long distance air travel and prepare yourself properly.  I'd be interested in the new compression socks for air travelers.  I didn't take them and my feet became quite swolen which lasted several days in the heat of Malaysia.

Max, gotta remember that SW, along with everyone born since 1960,  is half your age & therefore much less susceptible to the vaguarities of age.