New television reviews - Sneaky Pete and Fleabag

Randomguy

I have both Netflix and Amazon prime, but I really haven't watched much on Amazon.  Not sure why, really.  Anyway, I got notices for these shows specifically.

Sneaky Pete is very good so far, I am 5 episodes deep and it is catching some momentum.  Fleabag is kind of tedious in a way.  Supposed to be a British black comedy of sorts, and has amusing moments here and there, but no compelling reason to watch.

There you go.

I have caught a few episodes of Sneaky Pete. Good. Hasn't caused me to binge out yet. 

Been binging on Longmire on Netflix (I think) I like Westerns. Based in Wyoming. Has Katee Sackhoff in the female lead. As a Sheriffs deputy she has low cut uniforms. I know her Mom & Dad. Next time I see her Mom I'm going to mention Katie might want to button up

25 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I have caught a few episodes of Sneaky Pete. Good. Hasn't caused me to binge out yet. 

Been binging on Longmire on Netflix (I think) I like Westerns. Based in Wyoming. Has Katee Sackhoff in the female lead. As a Sheriffs deputy she has low cut uniforms. I know her Mom & Dad. Next time I see her Mom I'm going to mention Katie might want to button up

I like the idea of being able to put yourself into a situation and finding a way to make it work on wits or slyness alone, so the "Sneaky Pete" thing is as conceptually attractive to me as "Catch Me if You Can", so I am definitely predisposed to liking things of that nature.  Like I mentioned, I feel like the momentum is building, I hope it continues.

I watched a couple of seasons of Longmire and really liked it, but then it started seeming a bit 'off' of the level where it was.  I haven't watched any of the new episodes on Netflix, how are they?

Ok, I finished "Sneaky Pete".  

It is good, not great.  Certainly enjoyable, and has a different feel from the best cable or streaming shows, kind of like it started out as something else in a way.  Nowhere near as dark as Breaking Bad or True Detective (the first season, which was the best single season run of any show in television history).  Maybe lighter in tone and a bit more disposable in a way?  Anyway, not an overly challenging watch, but very good acting and production values, and better than much of what is out there.

This is going to sound weird. I have a hard time watching series from streaming services. Not just binge-watching, but even just 1 or 2 episodes at a time. Maybe I'm a bit of a throwback, but one thing I miss about the 3 network days was the anticipation of seeing "the show" whatever it might be, then talking about it the next day with friends. As we have become more fractured, we just don't have that even with the shows that are popular. 

23 minutes ago, groupw said:

This is going to sound weird. I have a hard time watching series from streaming services. Not just binge-watching, but even just 1 or 2 episodes at a time. Maybe I'm a bit of a throwback, but one thing I miss about the 3 network days was the anticipation of seeing "the show" whatever it might be, then talking about it the next day with friends. As we have become more fractured, we just don't have that even with the shows that are popular. 

That actually doesn't sound all that weird, there was definitely a more social aspect of television in the old days.  It helped you sync up with society, or at least the society that you valued.  The shows were generally awful in comparison to what is out there now, though, and it shows that real competition raises the level of everything.

It was fun to go over a friend's house or have them to yours to watch something, though.  It had more of a sense of occasion back then.