Weekend in Germany

BuffJim

I'll be on a business trip in March in Belgium, Germany and UK.

I have a free weekend. Working outside of Frankfort on Friday, and near Dusseldorf on Monday.

Where should I spend the weekend?  I need to take the train to Dusseldorf at some point on the weekend. I've been there a couple times, but never to Frankfort.

I don't know Germany well enough to recommend anything but IMHO I'd rather spend my time checking out Frankfurt or Dusseldorf than spend the weekend travelling.  Those are major cities and there has to be cool things to see, places to eat and of course pubs where you can find some Mickey's or Bud Light!   I do know Germany is a freaking big country so you could spend hours on the train or car going to place to place. 

I have family in Holland and the highlight of my trips (of course seeing the family is cool) is the food and the beer.  Soak in the local scene and have some fun! 

23 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I'll be on a business trip in March in Belgium, Germany and UK.

I have a free weekend. Working outside of Frankfort on Friday, and near Dusseldorf on Monday.

Where should I spend the weekend?  I need to take the train to Dusseldorf at some point on the weekend. I've been there a couple times, but never to Frankfort.

I took the train to Koln and then caught a high speed train to Frankfurt.  It's extra but worth it.  Not to many trains travel a 100+ mph.

Düsseldorf has no hotel rooms. There's a huge convention the week Im there. Rooms in the city are over 400 Euros. So I'm spending the weekend in Koln. (Cologne). I think I can get a nice room for about 100 Euros. Then I have to take a train to our office near Düsseldorf airport Monday AM. I might have our auditor or our lawyer both from Connecticut tagging along, but just as soon be alone. The following Friday I have a free evening in London.