I need some real race advice.

Parr8hed

I met with the people at the YMCA today. 

They are very interested in hosting my race.  They want to make it a YMCA event and have me be the champion of the event. 

This does several things for me.  First off it eliminates the need for my race to be USAT sanctioned.  That is my least favorite thing about my race.  I have to use USAT to get the insurance.  THere are tons of hoops to jump through both before and after the race to be sanctioned.  Secondly it eliminates the need for me to have online registration since they can do that.  The kids that register for my race had to pay 10 bucks to USAT for insurance and 3 dollars in online online registration fees.  So immediately this would save each kid doing the race 13 dollars.  Pretty big savings.  

I have wanted to do a camp before the race.  A tri camp where we work on transitions, running, swimming, riding, etc.  The Y can make this camp happen.  They have a facility, registration, etc.

They can market to their clients. 

It would also eliminate the need for me to have my non-profit and bank account associated with the race.  This is a source of stress that I don't need. 

The downside is that all revenue would go through them.  I am OK with that, I was not using the race to make money.  They proceeds would go to a scholarship to help kids do the race that would not have been able to do it otherwise.

This all sounds pretty good to me.  I guess I am very hesitant to give up control of my race that I started.  I would like to think that my being the champion and director of the race that they would let me continue to run it as I saw fit.  But I live in the real world. 

Anyone have any thoughts pros/cons on this?

I don't see a downside to giving up control to the Y. Fewer headaches and things for you to worry about. This will always be your event as you started from zero and muscled the positive event to life two years in a row. You gave birth to that baby, let it go and it can grow into a great local event that will always have a connection to you.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, parodybot said:

Make a parody of your race and give that one to the YMCA and keep yours for yourself.

Actually, this sounds pretty cool, except all the forumites could not come and drink beer at your race.  They would have to just stay at your house and drink beer?:dontknow:

Forumites would still be welcome.  We will still need volunteers.  That part will not change.  We will still drink the beers at my house. 

It is just about 20 miles away now instead of 2.  There is a dope campground out there too:)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I don't see a downside to giving up control to the Y. Fewer headaches and things for you to worry about. This will always be your event as you started from zero and muscled the positive event to life two years in a row. You gave birth to that baby, let it go and it can grow into a great local event that will always have a connection to you.

Yea, I am more than happy to let some of it grow as long as I can still stay connected in a pretty major way.

Can you trademark the name and keep that in your control? I think i would do that. Give the Y 3-5 years to host it. If they don't follow through you can take it back. Make out an agreement on how the race would revert to your control. 

The things i would look out for would be the promotion. Maybe the Y person in charge of promo also has to clean the bathrooms. Well we know which one will take priority. And a week before the race you have 14 people signed up. Because your kids from the original town didn't want to drive over. And the Y only put 1 blurb in the newsletter on the back of page 147

• Like 3

Hmm, I did not birth this baby but I've changed a few of its diapers.  A couple questions--- will the logo on the shirt be spelled correctly?  Can we still get together and drink bourbon slushies?

Ok-- now the serious questions---

1.  Do they do other tri events?  Tri at the Y for adults or anything like that?  I am trying to figure out if they have the expertise to pull it off.  Things like knowing how to set up transition or where an extra hay bail is needed, etc...

2.  Do they have the people for all the volunteer positions?  Your event is special because you had enough volunteers to help the kids and hold the parents hands.

3.  Will they provide after race refreshments and a cool finish for the kids?  The kids loved little bags of grapes and that slide!

4.  Will there be medals or swag for the kids?  Both important.

5.  Will they let you teach the camp or at lest help set the curriculum -- thsi gets back to my first question about their expertise even if willing.

You have created a very special event and I know it is a big headache.  Before you hand it off, I'd like to know that the hands who are getting it care the way you do.  If it dies out, you will not be able to recreate it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Can you trademark the name and keep that in your control? I think i would do that. Give the Y 3-5 years to host it. If they don't follow through you can take it back. Make out an agreement on how the race would revert to your control. 

The things i would look out for would be the promotion. Maybe the Y person in charge of promo also has to clean the bathrooms. Well we know which one will take priority. And a week before the race you have 14 people signed up. Because your kids from the original town didn't want to drive over. And the Y only put 1 blurb in the newsletter on the back of page 147

There is something to the name, but I am not going to go so far as to trademark it.  I mean in reality it is a small local race.  Not worth it. 

I can still control promotion.  I still control the FB page.  That is all I used last year for promotion.  I really feel like a big portion of last years Peeps will make the drive.

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Hmm, I did not birth this baby but I've changed a few of its diapers.  A couple questions--- will the logo on the shirt be spelled correctly?  Can we still get together and drink bourbon slushies?

1.  Do they do other tri events?  Tri at the Y for adults or anything like that?  I am trying to figure out if they have the expertise to pull it off.  Things like knowing how to set up transition or where an extra hay bail is needed, etc...

2.  Do they have the people for all the volunteer positions?  Your event is special because you had enough volunteers to help the kids and hold the parents hands.

3.  Will they provide after race refreshments and a cool finish for the kids?  The kids loved little bags of grapes and that slide!

5.  Will they let you teach the camp or at lest help set the curriculum -- thsi gets back to my first question about their expertise even if willing.

You have created a very special event and I know it is a big headache.  Before you hand it off, I'd like to know that the hands who are getting it care the way you do.  If it dies out, you will not be able to recreate it.

Ok, first off.  Bite me.  Secondly, yes.  absolutely we can still drink bourbon slushies.

1.  Yes, they do an adult tri at the Y.  Not to worry.  The race timers from last year will still be there for set up. 

2.  They have some.  But I will still be responsible for finding volunteers.  I have no doubt that many will reutrn from previous years.

3.  My parents did that the last 2 years.  They enjoy it and will be glad to continue doing it.

4.  Yes and yes.  Would not do a kid's race without.

5.  Yes.  I will be in charge of the camp. 

I think that if I hand this race to anyone, it will be the Y.  They are very family/kid focused. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Your event is special because you had enough volunteers to help the kids and hold the parents hands.

An astute point. 

I would suggest calling a few of the more active volunteers to see if they'd still be interested, or to what level they would still be interested, if the event were tied into the Y.

After considering your thoughts and our previous conversation about what a PITA it is to fund raise to make the event better, pairing with the Y seems like a good idea.  What if you ask them to commit in writing to a two year trial at the end of which either party can say no thank you?

As Emmy gets older and has more softball tournaments and when G-man turns pro-cross, you will have even less time than you do now.  Partnering with the Y seems like a way to make sure the race continues even when you are busy with the next stage of life and can't do all the time consuming little details.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

You forgot to ask if they have someone who can change a rear tube on a kids bike with a bolt on wheel and a chain guard in less than four minutes. :D

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Airehead said:

After considering your thoughts and our previous conversation about what a PITA it is to fund raise to make the event better, pairing with the Y seems like a good idea.  What if you ask them to commit in writing to a two year trial at the end of which either party can say no thank you?

As Emmy gets older and has more softball tournaments and when G-man turns pro-cross, you will have even less time than you do now.  Partnering with the Y seems like a way to make sure the race continues even when you are busy with the next stage of life and can't do all the time consuming little details.

Right, I am thinking that handing over the reigns to this race may be in my best interest anyways.

8 hours ago, UglyBob said:

You forgot to ask if they have someone who can change a rear tube on a kids bike with a bolt on wheel and a chain guard in less than four minutes. :D

And don't forget knowing how to flip the fork around so that the front brake is on the leading edge of the fork and not the trailing edge. 

I told the dude at the Y about all of the bike fixing stories and he thought that was amazing. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

They want to make it a YMCA event and have me be the champion of the event. 

What does it mean to be the champion of the event?

14 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

This all sounds pretty good to me.  I guess I am very hesitant to give up control of my race that I started.  I would like to think that my being the champion and director of the race that they would let me continue to run it as I saw fit.  But I live in the real world. 

Any chance you could meet with the person that they will have in charge?  Get to know him/her and determine how it is going to be bossing them around.  Very subtly of course.

Making it a YMCA event instead of a sanctioned event may lose a few of those who traveled a long way to participate but it may make it less intimidating and draw much more local participation.  I can see that could be more win than lose. A change of location may make the safety padding  and barrier I put together for that fast downhill corner from my race equipment unnecessary.  You may not need the padded barrier are padding for the sign post.