Next Door social app

Scrapr

I think this is the over 60 age group Facebook. . We were on it at our old house. It was good for Classified and neighborhood events. Then we switched over to Bend Next Door. sheesh. A lot more active. Bend has got a record amount of snow. Some building roofs have collapsed. Now rain is coming on top of the snow and there is a mania to get all the snow off the roofs. Of course legit roofers are booked solid. Out of Staters have traveled over. And now the no accounts in town are volunteering @ $90/hour. And Next Door is full recomendations and Seniors complaining that the  job wasn't perfect. 

I watched one of these neer de wells Sunday on a roof. Just scraping hard to get to the bottom of the shingles. And walking on frozen shingles = broken shingles. Gar un dam tee that roof is damaged. Did I mention i haven't seen any fall protection? On an icy roof? And forget about Liability insurance. That money is smoked before the weekend

The over 60 group is a sensitive lot. 2 folks have threatened to quit. I got a warning. Snipers calling out 75 year old for not getting up and doing it themselves.  Since yesterday

I think I found some fertile recruiting ground for SW

• Heart 1

I am sorry to hear that the older people are having trouble with shoveling and dealing with the snow.  That is tough.  There is a guy across the street.  My husband shoveled out all this snow that was blocking his car.  My husband is crazy strong.  He can do hard labor all day and still have energy.  It's amazing to me.

In regards to snow removal, we bought a snow rake called an avalanche.  It works really well, for my husband.  Sadly, I am too weak to operate the thing.  It takes some arm strength to hold that contraption and chop off the snow.  I tried working it and I was useless.  Shoveling snow and dealing with the snow rake is really hard.  Maybe, I will get stronger and not be so useless about things that require a lot of shoulder and arm strength.

We look in on our Senior neighbors. I take turns shoveling the drive & walk of a 70 y/o that has MS. He gets up earlier than me so he gets a head start. We were out Sat/Sun uncovering storm drains. I had to dig my own damn car out all by myself. Then the plow came through.....again! We look out for our hood. 

This thing with the snow on the roofs is crazy. About 90% of the people would be better off to leave it up there and let it melt like She intended. But after a couple of old buildings in disrepair collapsed every Senior thinks their 20 year old home is going to do the same. It's not. 

But this group on Next Door is just learning how to use it for the first time evah. and get butt hurt if one person makes a snide remark. I got warned for telling folks to use the nuclear option. Ignore button 

I'm afraid to suggest emoticons

• Heart 2

Just now, jdc2000 said:

Also, parts of I-84 are closed for at least the fourth time this winter.

I know. It's been crazy. Story in the paper that Baker City has had a record amount of snow. And the school has been closed 2 days! They grow em tough over there. Guy said no stocking cap until -10 degrees. Wonder if he knows @sheep_herder

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How do you like Bend?

It's super. This is the most snow they have had in 25 years. So lots of newcomers getting a taste of CO winter. Come Spring/Summer there will be a bunch of them going back to Cali. But the snow event has allowed the neighborhood to get out and congregate. So that is good to have

The town really got busy over Christmas/New Years. Really noticed the traffic as heavier. 2 sometimes 3 light cycles. But overall there are ways to avoid that kind of mess.

Now that our Home Improvements are about done we can just settle in (and stop spending $$$$) and enjoy the town. We did countertops/new appliances/new master closet/laundry/other closet packages and garage cabs. New pavers and extension of the patio. Landscaping cut way back.  Big screen moved & set up. It looks small on the wall now. In the old house it was about right. It's 55". I was eyeballing a 70" Tv in Best Buy that was in the return pile last week.

My only complaint is the Medical Center. I'm not impressed. They are the most expensive system in Oregon. Which has pushed out insurance companies. They have had several "events" where patients are hurt/died in last few years.  We are still on our Portland insurance and haven't told them we are over there.

Next door can be convenient. We live in a large community answer the surrounding communities are large and really close so being able to get information directly from these people has proven great. 

Only issue we have is one annoying 'handyman ' keeps responding to every solicite for a skilled service even though most of the community knows he is a hack and has been banned before.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

It's super. This is the most snow they have had in 25 years. So lots of newcomers getting a taste of CO winter. Come Spring/Summer there will be a bunch of them going back to Cali. But the snow event has allowed the neighborhood to get out and congregate. So that is good to have

The town really got busy over Christmas/New Years. Really noticed the traffic as heavier. 2 sometimes 3 light cycles. But overall there are ways to avoid that kind of mess.

Now that our Home Improvements are about done we can just settle in (and stop spending $$$$) and enjoy the town. We did countertops/new appliances/new master closet/laundry/other closet packages and garage cabs. New pavers and extension of the patio. Landscaping cut way back.  Big screen moved & set up. It looks small on the wall now. In the old house it was about right. It's 55". I was eyeballing a 70" Tv in Best Buy that was in the return pile last week.

My only complaint is the Medical Center. I'm not impressed. They are the most expensive system in Oregon. Which has pushed out insurance companies. They have had several "events" where patients are hurt/died in last few years.  We are still on our Portland insurance and haven't told them we are over there.

How did lil' Scrapr handle things?

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How did lil' Scrapr handle things?

Lil Scrapr is still over in Portland. He has been working a Security job since High School. He just turned 21 a week ago. that type of job is really limited as to the amount of money he can top out at. Essentially he doesn't earn enough to get an apartment. Esp since his GF is almost unemployable. Zero social skills. I "think" she is working at a car wash. Which should be perfect for her. But she changes jobs by the week

have been working on him to get into a construction trade. Where possibly he can go out on his own. With my contacts that should not be a problem. He has expressed an interest in HVAC so I have some feelers out. Got one back this am.  Probably not much will happen until Spring. He is going to Europe with WoScrapr and myself in April. Which he is really excited about. He is staying (rent Free) at Grandma and Grandpas. He was spending every bit of his paycheck. Even needing to borrow gas money. Grandma , grandpa and I had a sit down to make him aware of why he was getting free rent, phone paid, insurance paid, car insurance paid. And that he needed to buckle down and start saving a ton of money. I asked him how much he thought he could save. He said $100/month. After I spit out my dentures I suggested $4-500/week. And he has turned a corner and I think he has 3 or 4k saved up.

He was a little hurt that we moved over to Bend. But his attitude has been really good. He has a great relationship with Grandma. She can talk to him about stuff that WoScrapr & I have been trying to hammer home. He seems to listen to her

45 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Sister's is a great place to stay.  I'd move there if I could afford it. 

Sisters is nice. A little small for me. Heck we found Bend small when we were doing home fix up. We were looking for plumbing fixtures and 2 supply houses had horrible service. So we went to the last one and got lucky with a good experience. We were ready to go back to Portland.

That has taken a bit to get used to

17 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Sisters is nice. A little small for me. Heck we found Bend small when we were doing home fix up. We were looking for plumbing fixtures and 2 supply houses had horrible service. So we went to the last one and got lucky with a good experience. We were ready to go back to Portland.

That has taken a bit to get used to

I'm thinking you're really going to like it Scrapr.  It may take some time to 'wind the clock down' but I think when you do -- you may find it difficult to go back to Portland.

I tell you i do not miss the traffic. When i come over in the early am i hit salem right about 6:00 am and get on the interstate. Boy i have to get my mind right about that. 70-75 mph and cars weaving in/out of lanes. Then you get the portland traffic. Sometimes over an hour to get to the in laws

40 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I tell you i do not miss the traffic. When i come over in the early am i hit salem right about 6:00 am and get on the interstate. Boy i have to get my mind right about that. 70-75 mph and cars weaving in/out of lanes. Then you get the portland traffic. Sometimes over an hour to get to the in laws

I didn't drive so much when I lived in Portland, about once every three weeks or so, which was about 17 times too many per year.

I really hate driving, it is not fun in any way.  If I had a nice, fast car that was the size of an SUV and handled really well on and off road, I would hate driving slightly less, but only slightly.

The place I'm moving out to basically requires a car.  It's not that far to bike to services but I'm not hauling groceries to and fro w/ my bike.  But at night it's going to get quiet and the amount of cars zipping along the nearby major artery approach zero.  Honestly, that quality is the single biggest factor for me looking for a place outside the mayhem.  I've been in condos for 20 years too long.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I am sorry I missed you herder when in Montana. I don't make it out that way very often but if I do, it will be Many Glacier.

One never knows when our paths might cross.  I may consider taking a photo trip to the Palouse this year, but not sure about the timing.  I conducted research on ash covered rangeland in the Ritzville area during the 80s.

• Heart 1