Should cycling sunset podium girls as a tradition?

Square Wheels

If they were boob jobs n swim suits I might agree but in cycling generally it's just pretty young women in summer dresses or local costume.

If the Aussies want to go the Political Correct route then let them. No one takes 'The Tour Down Under' seriously anyway.

Image result for tour de france podium girls

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, Nate said:

models need opportunities, too.

I actually agree with Nate.  

If they put out a call for podium girls and get a line of willing participants, why shouldn't this tradition continue?  I think it's harmless enough.

Is "podium girl" the first step down a slippery slope that leads to "coke whore"?  I don't think so.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Nate said:

models need opportunities, too. Your PC liberal policies are killing jobs everywhere else, so why not ban them?

its like you lefties are all having a contest to see who can be the biggest sissy :facepalm:

Women are not prizes.  Job descriptions should not involve sexual contact like kissing and touching. 

There was a rider that grabbed one of the girls asses a few years ago.  This objectification needs to stop.  It is wrong on so many levels.   We are so much more than a body to be groped and displayed. 

It's about respect.  This kind of thing is a lack of respect. 

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Women are not prizes.  Job descriptions should not involve sexual contact like kissing and touching. 

There was a rider that grabbed one of the girls asses a few years ago.  This objectification needs to stop.  It is wrong on so many levels.   We are so much more than a body to be groped and displayed. 

It's about respect.  This kind of thing is a lack of respect. 

They aren't the prize in cycling, at least not in any of the European road races I watch. The rider doesn't kiss and physical contact is minimal, It's French 'air kissing' where both lean forward and place cheeks beside each other.

The one instance you cite (2013) was widely criticised and if I remember right the rider (Sagan) was fined.

People should 'respect' other cultures.

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Job descriptions should not involve sexual contact like kissing and touching. 

Caretaker is absolutely right. In Europe a kiss on the cheek is just that. Its not sexual.

but that is some very good inflammatory rhetoric, I'll give you that. I think that we have trained ourselves to be so ultra sensitive that we are appalled by everything

I saw a commercial for some off road car and a millennial couple are driving up this salmon stream and the salmon gets by a bear and all that and then is grabbed by an eagle right in front of the millennial couple WHO ARE CREEPED OUT BY THAT!!!:o

when I saw that sort of thing in Alaska (yes, I've seen eagles nab salmon out of the river and also out of the bay) I was filled with awe at the sight of a majestic eagle. I didn't think it was "violent". I realize that animals eat other animals :whistle:

so what I am saying is that the PC thing has just gone so far that we have lost all perspective.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

yea, you can grab them in the vag and tell them you're just "keeping it real"

I would never grab a podium girl by the vag, I would cup them there instead.  That is why I am the best candidate, because I think about things logically.

Seriously, though, the podium girls are there to keep photographers there for the podium ceremony.  If there are no podium girls, the euro-douche contingent will simply eat cured sausages in the car and then go to the pub, then no PR opportunity for the race or sponsors.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would never grab a podium girl by the vag, I would cup them there instead.  That is why I am the best candidate, because I think about things logically.

yea, wish I had voted for you

but I voted for that vag grabbing racist Donald Trump.

I just like his policies and everything he stands for. I sleep better at night knowing we got a president who isn't afraid to grab him some vag. That should come in handy dealing with Germany and the EU :)

I tend to agree with keeping them.  They are generally dressed modestly and the kisses are a Euro thing.  I grew up with it with my Euro family, always two cheeks and sometimes 3?  If they were up there in a bikini or such then yea but I don't see the big deal with them. 

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

you mean a butt cheek too? :o

Yeah funny but no... I guess certain regions in Holland (and maybe other Euro countries) do 3 cheek kisses.  I have one Aunt where we always have to do 3 cheeks, left, right, left.   I remember one time forgetting to do 3 and as I stopped my aunt proceeded to go for the 3rd cheek and she got me on the lips!  A bit embarrassing but it was all good.  But all of my other family in Holland only does two?  This one Aunt lives in the Limburg Region of Holland where everyone else lives near the coast and I was told it's a regional thing...  Her dialect is different too. 

• Heart 1

Why are there no podium men, other than racers?  Double standard.  

It's a man's world.  

Kinda like why breast feeding in public is such a big deal.  Breasts are for sexual pleasure and when they are used as they are intended, people freak out.

It makes no sense to argue these points in a room full of men. You do not understand. 

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's a man's world.  

Kinda like why breast feeding in public is such a big deal.  Breasts are for sexual pleasure and when they are used as they are intended, people freak out.

It makes no sense to argue these points in a room full of men. You do not understand. 

If some chick is breastfeeding in public, I am gonna take a look.  Not sure why a grown woman needs to breastfeed from another woman in public, of course people are gonna say something!

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's a man's world.  

Kinda like why breast feeding in public is such a bog deal.  Breasts are for sexual pleasure and when they are used as they are intended, people freak out.

Breast feeding in public isn't a 'big deal' in Ireland, I see it quite regularly and no one makes a fuss.

30 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Podium girls, ring girls, F1 girls, cheerleaders. Maybe women should just wear burkas so we don't objectify them.

The burka is about control over women. We are not allowed to display beauty, except to our husbands.  That is bullshit in an entirely different way, and still a very bad thing for women. 

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful"   from the Qur'an

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Why can't some be young men in regional attire?

because we'd rather see a pretty chick in regional attire

especially if they are near the beach and they wear bikinis regionally there :)

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

No I believe you are giving 'a woman's' perspective, your own.

Yay!  This is true enough.

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Why can't some be young men in regional attire?

There could be for the women's races, why shouldn't the ladies get equitable treatment if they want it?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

There could be for the women's races, why shouldn't the ladies get equitable treatment if they want it?

I told you Podium boys would be a solution the left would really get behind

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Communication happens when one person speaks and generally their speech is from their perspective.  Which is why I said I am giving a woman's perspective. I spelled women instead of women on accident.  

I don't like this thread.  

Yes and you've done it again.

I love this thread.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Nate said:

not for nothing, but if I started quoting bible verses, I'm sure wheels would come down on me

but if religious text is ok, then certainly a picture of our new president is in order, too

3.jpg

...two more days to the beginning of the end.  You can sense the anticipation in the air.

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...two more days to the beginning of the end.  You can sense the anticipation in the air.

I know, I can't wait for them to repeal obammycare and get this country moving again!

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Communication happens when one person speaks and generally their speech is from their perspective.  Which is why I said I am giving a woman's perspective. I spelled women instead of woman on accident.  

I don't like this thread.  

As Page said, you would probably like it better if you were breastfeeding on the podium.

I like the polka dot dresses at the tour, they always seem to be the classiest and most fun.  

I am neutral on this thread.

• Heart 1