Should cycling sunset podium girls as a tradition?

Square Wheels

I think there are a lot more serious problems in the world to worry about than whether young women should be on cycling podiums.

However, I have to agree with Chris's reference about cheerleaders.  The NFL cheerleaders, especially considering their outfits,  are far more sexist than the podium women.  And if we talked about them, we could post pics of them and lust over them as we were intended to do.  :)

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

The NFL cheerleaders, especially considering their outfits,  are far more sexist than the podium women.

Never have I watched a game and said, if only the cheerleaders were a little stronger today we could have had that game.

I think cheering as an individual sport is terrific, as part of football, useless.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is a topic asking if they are outdated.  I am giving a women's perspective.  

You are giving your perspective.  The podium girls are people too.  Evidently they don't have a problem with doing that job.  PCness is way overboard in SO many ways.  I'm truly sorry to see SW and DH sucked in by the radical views of ugly feminists.

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Never have I watched a game and said, if only the cheerleaders were a little stronger today we could have had that game.

I think cheering as an individual sport is terrific, as part of football, useless.

American football needs something to keep the fans interested during all the breaks.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

I'm truly sorry to see SW and DH sucked in by the radical views of ugly feminists.

Nah, I didn't get sucked in.  I don't watch a lot of cycling, but when I do, the podium girls offer nothing to the sport.

2 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

American football needs something to keep the fans interested during all the breaks.

I suspect this may be true.  I only watch my home team, and then, only with the DVR.  I watched one game live, it was painful.  Being able to skip through the two hours of commercials / commentary is wonderful.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

...hypothetically, how would you feel about cheerleaders who were breast feeding ? Not on the field, but say, somewhere back in the locker room ?

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...hypothetically, how would you feel about cheerleaders who were breast feeding ? Not on the field, but say, somewhere back in the locker room ?

Fine

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...it's called tradition.  This stuff is not as difficult as you make it out to be.

Lot's of traditions are no more, burning witches at the stake, 5% interest at the local bank...

27 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

You are giving your perspective.  The podium girls are people too.  Evidently they don't have a problem with doing that job.  PCness is way overboard in SO many ways.  I'm truly sorry to see SW and DH sucked in by the radical views of ugly feminists.

Yes, I gave my opinion.  That is the way communication works.  I was posed a question.  I answered the question.

2 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

You can't get a loan at 5%?  Dude, you are a bigger loser than I thought possible.

while I wholeheartedly agree with you, to be fair....I think wheels was talking about 5% on your savings account

but that didn't stop me from laughing my ass off at that! :lol:

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Don't get testy with me.  

Now, back to the kitchen with you!

See, I think that could be construed as way more sexist than chicks putting revealing clothing on and smooching a guy who is fast on a bike.  It could be seen as demeaning, whereas a chick could see being appreciated for being a hot tasty piece of ass candy to be empowering.

16 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...why do you think that is ?  Many women who are breast feeding get breasts the size of footballs.  Do you think that's it ?    Maybe we could just hire podium girls with toothpick roadie arms ?

4-month pregnancy boobs have a real nice size/consistency to them.  I think this is nature's trick to keep us looking at that particular set of boobs.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Wow, this thread gets more useless the further it goes.

Lol, I almost skipped over this thread because I wasn't all the interested in the title. Then I saw it had four pages of posts so I checked it out and I'm glad I did. I have laughed so hard at these posts. I don't think I have ever liked so many posts in one thread before.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...if anything, it's a good argument that if cycle racing wants to get some real audience share in the United States, they need to work on sexing up the podium girls outfits.

I don't agree with that at all.  The sport needs to appear stable and one where me, an average mortal, can actually break into the sport as a youth and have a chance to be a superstar.  It's the same with all professional sports.  It's probably a one in a million shot any one person will succeed in professional sports, but that doesn't stop people from trying.

I think Peter is helping, Lance was a huge help, doping (which likely happens everywhere) is really hurting.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't agree with that at all.  The sport needs to appear stable and one where me, an average mortal, can actually break into the sport as a youth and have a chance to be a superstar.  It's the same with all professional sports.  It's probably a one in a million shot any one person will succeed in professional sports, but that doesn't stop people from trying.

I think Peter is helping, Lance was a huge help, doping (which likely happens everywhere) is really hurting.

I think the way that cycling went about cleaning up the doping hurt the sport more than just he doping itself

cyclists were riding on drugs since the early days of bike racing

but it seemed like they were kicking the top guys out during the TdF year after year...and all those vacated wins at the Tour...you see somebody lift the trophy in Paris, and then 2 months later they didn't win?

compared to the other sports, cycling made itself look to the general public that only really tuned in for the Tour like they were nothing but dopers.

That hurt bicycling here in the states for sure.  The Lance debacle really put a fork in it.  I hardly see cyclists these days. Its all joggers and dog walkers

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

...how do you factor bike and equipment prices into that equation ?

15 minutes ago, Nate said:

That hurt bicycling here in the states for sure.  The Lance debacle really put a fork in it.  I hardly see cyclists these days. Its all joggers and dog walkers

...if you want to promote a "sport", or even an activity as exercise and a heathful way to spend some time, $4,000 plastic bikes with electronical shifting and full kit lycra is probably not the best way to do it.  Sure, you can make some serious cash for a while, but eventually people wise up and switch to something more user friendly.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...if you want to promote a "sport", or even an activity as exercise and a heathful way to spend some time, $4,000 plastic bikes with electronical shifting and full kit lycra is probably not the best way to do it.  Sure, you can make some serious cash for a while, but eventually people wise up and switch to something more user friendly.

That's a good point, but they aren't riding 4,000 dollar bikes, those a given to them from sponsors, at least for the big teams, and they are probably 10,000 minimum.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I paid just to get La Course (I think that was the name) 2 years ago.  It was the one stage women's TdF.  The coverage was pitiful and they didn't even show the podium.  We were really pissed off.  I do not believe they had podium boys, but I could be wrong since they didn't show it.

...The tour of California here is a reasonable road race.  The women's Tour here is not much, more like lap stages in town.  Sponsorships for the chicks is pitiful in its emphasis on economy.

...right now, it's probably easier for the average younger woman to break into bike racing than a man of equal ability and experience.  it's just that they have to look forward to no money, ever, for doing it. And the ones I talked to here did not want podium boys, because I offered.:blush:  

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Threads like this one are not great for promoting female forum participation. A question was posed, and when a lady has a different opinion than the men, we end up being sorry that we ever posted at all. 

We????

You gave your opinion and I disagreed and pointed out some facts none of which you disputed. If you 'feel sorry you ever posted' then that's unfortunate.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Threads like this one are not great for promoting female forum participation. A question was posed, and when a lady has a different opinion than the men, we end up being sorry that we ever posted at all. 

I don't really have a high opinion of organized religion, and I know I never will.  I think it isn't plausible at all, and for a long time, I thought poorly of people involved.  Who could follow this, with all the contradictions and outdated assery and hokey dogmatic nonsense?

A few LF forumites helped change my view with good answers that came from perspectives that I hadn't considered previously. The forumites I am thinking of (primarily RS and a couple of others in bits and pieces) let me see something of their experience outside of the normal bullshit reasons that the thoughtless give for their participation in normalized witchdoctory and voodoo, and gave me a window into how it enhanced their view of things without refuting the nonsense of it all.  I can plainly see now that some good people squeak into these cults, and that they aren't comprised solely of bigoted judgmental ass-clowns, but sometimes good caring people that can think on their own.

The point of all this is that you have a platform here, earned respect from years of participation, and a view from the land of grabbed and cupped vaginas, and you can affect how we see an issue, even if fun is poked at you for it.  If you find a way, it is possible to shape perspectives, but it happens subtly and over time.  I would say that often trouble comes from expectations more than anything else.  From my perspective, telling me why you think something is way more important than telling me what you think.

If the chicks don't contribute, it will be a bunch of us stone-age thinkers backslapping each other for collectively agreeing with everyone's identical opinion on something.   You do good here, even when you can't quite see it yet.

• Heart 1

around where I live there is a strong amature racing scene. Its the local race scenes that are the pipeline for cyclists to pursue racing, not the top pro events.

Listen, bike racing was NEVER on television until the Lance years. When Greg was winning his Tours, we had to follow the Tour in the cycling mags, so we found out who won when the August issues hit the newsstand

the first images we ever saw of bike racing was the 1989 final TT stage at the tour...on Wide World of Sports about 2 months after the race was over