What are super-tart oranges telling us?

Randomguy

That they did not fully ripen or that they did not get enough sun during their growth to develop enough sugars to satisfy your taste.  Sunlight or the lack thereof is the main contributor to fruits sweetness.  Drought or other environmental stress can also intensify or modify fruit flavors.

they are telling us that:

1. RG does not know shit about shopping for oranges
  2. NYC gets all the shitty oranges
  3. its the middle of January, wtf do you want already?
  4. your oranges sat on the docks covered in rat piss for the last 3 weeks waiting to get inspected
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, Nate said:

4. your oranges sat on the docks covered in rat piss for the last 3 weeks waiting to get inspected

As usual, people in PA are wrong; I shop for oranges like everyone else, by licking them or rubbing them in my armpit.  You can almost always tell when you do it that way.  NYC gets the same oranges that everyone else gets, probably.  I have been eating a heroic amount of oranges, btw.

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

Well I don't know about #'s 1, 2 or 4 but we are in peak citrus season so tart oranges would be a surprise to me too.   Although we don't have the local citrus groves we used to, SoCal is spoiled on the quality and price of our produce.  I'm getting my oranges for $.99 a Lb and they are freaking tasty right now.  The orange tree on my nightly dog walk has been picked clean (at least from the outside of the fence, the inside of the fence still is full?!?!?!) and I have no other freah orange hook ups.  BTW eating an orange left on the tree to ripen is still far better than any store bought one.

Here's what I look for when picking oranges: Is it orange?  It should have good color.  Is the skin smooth?  I don't know why but good oranges always have smooth, not pocked skin.  Is it heavy? An orange much lighter than the others is most likely dry and won't be as juicy.

My wife sometimes give me sheot for taking several minutes to pick my oranges but I rarely get a bad one using those 3 simple rules.   

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Fruit is picked so early, so it can be shipped.  We end up losing the sun ripened taste. Tomatoes are a good sample of why eating foods locally taste so much better.

Oddly, I am having a tough time getting good tomatoes from our greenhouse.  I need to read up on this before we plant again.

5 hours ago, team scooter said:

Interesting you bring this up. The Mrs peeled a couple oranges for lunches this morning. The insides were pink and tasted like grapefruit. Whats up with that? Cross pollination? They looked like regular navel oranges. :dontknow:

...Cara Cara orange. Trendy right now, with a lot of new acreage planted..

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I am guessing that tart oranges DO have more vitamin C than sweet oranges.

...why ? Mostly, the Vitamin C content is related to how long ago they were still on the tree.   Vitamin C and Citrus Juices

But look: Vitamin C decreases during the ripening process. Immature fruit has the highest levels. The position on the tree also affects vitamin C levels. Since sunlight exposure enhances vitamin C levels, fruit positioned on the outside of the tree and on the south side have higher levels. Shaded inside fruit has the lowest.

So I guess if you care, you need to grow your own.:)