Where else to go for electrical advice than the cycling forum?

TrentonMakes

We have three 12VDC light fixtures in the ceiling in the bedroom.  When we moved in these had 50W halogen lamps in them, but gradually they were all replaced with LEDs.

These fixtures are in cans in the ceiling, with a pair of wires that provide power to a bi-pin socket for the lamp.

One of these sockets is loose, such that the bulb won't light (but it will in the other fixtures).  I have procured another socket, which will require me to cut the existing wires and splice in the new one.

Given that I'm using cool-burning LED's a normal wire nut should suffice - but would it be prudent (or likely code requirement) to use ceramic wire nuts in case we (or some other future homeowner) reverts to hot-burning halogens?  

I remember using the ceramic wire nuts for the igniter in the old oven.  Surely these lamps aren't that hot an environment, but I don't know how much heat normal plastic wire nuts (of which I already have dozens) can take.

If the wire nuts are not located really close to the socket, I wouldn't think they should be subjected to excessive heat from the lamp.  I would use the nuts you have and just keep them as far away from the lamp and socket as possible.

But I'm not there and I can't really see the situation you have, so I would suggest you do whatever you think is safe.  Better to go overboard on safety, especially if it is something small and relatively cheap to do, and sleep well at night.   :)

• Heart 1

Longjohn is right.  Most wirenuts are rated for 105C.  Fixture wire is usually at least 75C, often 90C, and if its machine tool wiring (MTW) then it too would be rated 105C.  If you happen to have the box for the wirenuts, check if the temp rating is on the box.  If you're really anal retentive like an electrical engineer would be, then look up the wirenut on the web if the temp rating isn't on the box or package.

Sometimes you'll get some pretend wirenuts that come in the box with something like a ceiling fan light kit.  Don't use those things.  Use wirenuts actually sold in a package or box, made by a reputable manufacturer.

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, TrentonStrong said:

Then the wire nuts over that? :D

TBH, you're agonizing over the cost of a few wire nuts. Go for the overrated ones and forget about it. If they are what you need, you're golden. If they're over and above what you need, who cares? 100 years from now, when someone rips it out they'll go "Whoa, this dude knew his shit" not "WHO WAS THE COBBLER THAT DID THAT?????" like I always say when taking something apart in my house.

• Heart 1