Do you like onions?

Square Wheels

I like them a lot! I like a slice of raw on my burger. I will eat green onions fresh out of the garden with my meal. I like them cooked as long as they don't overpower the rest of the dish. WoW likes them a little more than me and sometimes gets carried away. And I love, love, love onion rings!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

Went out for breakfast last weekend and asked for hash browns with onions. I got a confused look from the 20 something waitress when she asked if I wanted them raw and on the side.  Are onions cooked in with hash browns no longer a thing? :scratchhead:

Hash browns with onions and green peppers are definitely a thing!  Too bad people don't want to think too hard these days, and cannot even imagine something off the menu, even if only slightly.  

Garlic, green onions, onions, shallots, they all give me reflux.  I can do onions if they are well cooked, but not mass quantities of them.

Yes love them.  Raw or grilled on a dog or burger, in salads, yeah man I go through about 3 whole onions a week as they go in nearly everything I cook.

When my son was little my mom would make him his favorite soup. Except he hated onions so my mom would put a whole onion in the soup pot for flavor but he wouldn't get any onions in his serving.  We'll I'd fish that sucker out of the pot cut it up and eat it.  Tasty!  

• Heart 1

Back in my truck driving days I loaded my truck in the morning with a load of pipe going to Boston.  I came home and grilled some burgers on the grill.  My wife said she wished we had some onion for on the burgers. I told her I'd check the garden.  I grew red, yellow, and white onions in the garden, when they were small I would eat them as green onions and after they got bigger I used them as cooking onions.  Well we had some real big onions but they were still growing.  I brought one in and we sliced it down for on the burgers.  It was as big as a sweet onion but tasted like a green onion.  After dinner I headed off to Boston.  I didn't get far and started to have a case of the dreaded green onion farts.  I had to roll down the windows in my semi it was so bad.  I was glad I wasn't sleeping at home that night.:frantics:

• Heart 2

I like then less and less every year.  I like them cooked in foods - Italian dishes, chili......  I don't like them raw on a sandwich anymore.  I used to but now I remove them if they are there.  Onion rings are something I used to like but was not at the top of my fried food list.  Now I have almost no use for onion rings.  I used to love green onions.  Green onions raw, green onions with cheese....... I don't care for green onions.

When I was growing up we seldom if ever had onions in the house.  My dad spend his formative years during the Great Depression.  His family was a hard working country family scrapping out a living on the edge of coal country and at the edge of the oil fields in western PA north of Pittsburgh.  They typically only had meat when my G'dad helped someone butcher a cow or hogs.  For many years my father's school lunch consisted of a chunk of bread and a slice of onion.  Onions were easy to grow and more plentiful than potatoes.  He had onion sandwiches for lunch and cooked onions for dinner for months on end.  They couldn't even afford mustard for the sandwich.  He wanted nothing to do with onions most of the rest of his life and they were not welcome in our house. 

• Heart 1

I love a good onion butt! A but that makes a brother cry! :P Oh wait, wrong topic! :facepalm:

I love onions. Hated them growing up but once I hit about 21, I took a liking to them. Sometimes I dice onions and tomatoes with cucumbers them add a bit of vinegar or some other dressing and eat it like a salad. Hamburger? Better have onions! ;)

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, groupw said:

Let me know your recipe. Trying to eat a little better...

Get some really good balsamic vinegar.  I like the 12 year stuff.  It is thick and sweet and it is more affordable than the 25 year stuff.  

Anyway, my recipe is a mix of balsamic, olive oil, garlic powder, lemon juice, and a touch of dijon as an emulsifier.   Add salt and pepper to taste.  I marinate the caps in this concoction and grill them.  I use a plastic bad to marinate, so I can use less marinade.  I just keep flipping the bag around for an hour.  Then, I wash the bag for frugality sakes.

On the sammie, I add chipotle aoli, avocado, onion, lettuce, sliced red pepper, and motz.  I serve kale chips on the side.  Dinner was healthful and light.   

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, shotgun said:

My maternal grandfather made his fortune as an onion farmer (along with lettuce and sod).

I could have made money in the onion business, when I was a kid, but was never ambitious enough to work the muck farms around here. I worked weeding once and in the warehouse, bagging, but I was never a Muck Diver like some of my friends. 

What used to be big business around here is now down to one farm now.

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I can barely taste garlic.  I once made a tomato sauce by following the recipe on a can of crushed tomatoes.  It said to add three cloves of garlic.  Darn, I only had two.  It took forever to feel and chop.  Turned out I put in two heads of garlic.  I thought it tasted wonderful.

That sounds good to me.  I buy minced garlic in quart jars so you know I like garlic.  Did you ever see the commercial for some kind of air freshener that says you go nose blind?  Well one time we were making garlic pizza and we had some friends over that also loved garlic, they were making garlic rolls.  It just happened that my brother and his wife dropped in for a visit.  The garlic fumes were choking them when they entered the house.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

That sounds good to me.  I buy minced garlic in quart jars so you know I like garlic.  Did you ever see the commercial for some kind of air freshener that says you go nose blind?  Well one time we were making garlic pizza and we had some friends over that also loved garlic, they were making garlic rolls.  It just happened that my brother and his wife dropped in for a visit.  The garlic fumes were choking them when they entered the house.

Sounds wonderful. Reads wonderful too

• Heart 1

Onions? Garlic?  These plants are the Devil's Weeds themselves!  This very thread testifies how people try them once, become hopelessly addicted, and crave more and more!  Everyone knows onions and garlic are only the 'gateway' weeds, and people soon step up to the heavier plants and vegetables like squash, cabbages, and - the worst - pumpkins!  And who knows what percentage of the youth of our nation has become worthless, indolent deviants from consuming onion and garlic as 'edibles'! Oh, the shame that these socially destructive plants are now legal in every state, only to the ruination of our great country!  Reform now, you evildoers, before you too are snared in the addiction you can never escape!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Onions? Garlic?  These plants are the Devil's Weeds themselves!  This very thread testifies how people try them once, become hopelessly addicted, and crave more and more!  Everyone knows onions and garlic are only the 'gateway' weeds, and people soon step up to the heavier plants and vegetables like squash, cabbages, and - the worst - pumpkins!  And who knows what percentage of the youth of our nation has become worthless, indolent deviants from consuming onion and garlic as 'edibles'! Oh, the shame that these socially destructive plants are now legal in every state, only to the ruination of our great country!  Reform now, you evildoers, before you too are snared in the addiction you can never escape!

Too late.  I viewed it as a valuable and necessary trade off though because Dracula has to be kept at bay.

• Heart 2