Are you stable?

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

At least as far as your weight goes.

I am not.

I think a good weight for me would be 175.

Last winter I was 200, I made it down to 180 for the summer, now I am back to 200. :(  I plan to be 170 by June.

For the last 2 years in a row, I lost 20 lbs and held it off for 9 months only to regain it back these winter months. Sucks.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Can you say gymnasium?

I don't find that helps me.  I clearly eat more when I exercise more.  My current calendar has me running, riding, weight training, or more than one of those every day.  I get one of two days off a month.  I am clearly burning a lot more calories than a couple of months ago, and not eating that much more than I used to.  Still not losing weight.

I need to eat less, it's that simple.

• Heart 1

I fluctuate about 5-8 lbs from summer to winter. By the end of summer, I am usually about 172. At the end of the holidays, I am around 180. Signed up for a gym membership last night to work more on my core and upper body since I can't run and bike outside as much right now. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Are you stable?

Mentally?  Don't we all think we are?  Perception is reality, except for that whole cognitive dissonance thing, then there is that whole Dunning-Kruger effect to consider.

My weight fluctuates, but generally between 163 - 174.  I feel better at 163, and probably should keep it at around 160 or so.  if I was a really serious athlete, I have the genes to be in the 150 - 152lb range.  I would be pretty fast on a bike if I was in that range, I can tell you that.

I don't find that helps me.  I clearly eat more when I exercise more.  My current calendar has me running, riding, weight training, or more than one of those every day.  I get one of two days off a month.  I am clearly burning a lot more calories than a couple of months ago, and not eating that much more than I used to.  Still not losing weight.

As I've heard it said many times..... You can't out exercise a bad diet.

• Heart 1

If I eat too much, no.

I gained 10 pounds over my slacker fest for the last couple months. I am down to 5 now, and I am not losing.  I think that my weight might be increasing due to fat being converted to muscle.

How is your trainer thing going?  I find that having a trainer is a huge luxury.  It really motivates.

Ok, there is a weird seasonal aspect to remember to the whole weight-gain thing.  I normally gain weight in the winter, I am sure it has something to do with evolution and the ability to survive in cold environments.

Being that everything is cold and dead in the winter, and fresh produce has historically been harder to come by in our past before agriculture really screwed things up, it makes sense that our bodies have found a way to store more fat for a period of relative scarcity.  Plus, the days are shorter and you just don't move around as much, even if you are exercising just as much.

What you need is for someone to give you a step counter thingie that will motivate you to keep the weight off during the winter.  Works for me.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I normally gain weight in the winter, I am sure it has something to do with evolution and the ability to survive in cold environments.

@Randomguyyou are completely and utterly wrong again in your analysis.  If it were due to evolution and your ability to survive those sever months you would start packing on the weight at the first sign of the seasonal change - September, October.  If it were evolution, than you would be fat and plump before you sat down to Thanksgiving dinner.  You would roll through Christmas like a lopsided weeble and start losing the weight the first of sign of really cold weather.

There you have the cold hard truth.......

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

@Randomguyyou are completely and utterly wrong again in your analysis.  If it were due to evolution and your ability to survive those sever months you would start packing on the weight at the first sign of the seasonal change - September, October.  If it were evolution, than you would be fat and plump before you sat down to Thanksgiving dinner.  You would roll through Christmas like a lopsided weeble and start losing the weight the first of sign of really cold weather.

There you have the cold hard truth.......

I normally do start the weight gain around the start of the slightly colder weather, typically early to mid October.  I really have to start to watch what I am eating around that time to minimize the weight gain.  It normally starts dropping off in April, even if I am eating the same amount or more than during the winter.  Lack of exercise and movement account for about 5 - 8 pounds of weight gain over the winter, and seasonal changes account for about the same, near as I can figure.

Over my life no, my weight has fluctuated quiet a bit.  Most of my teens and 20's I was around 180 which was a good weight for me.  34" waist LG shirt size.  In my late 30s and early 40's I ballooned up to about 260. 44 waist 2XL shirt.  I then got my sheot together and got down to 170 but people thought I looked sickly at that weight and I couldn't maintain it.  In a matter of 6 months I went up to about 210 and held it there for sever al years.. I was a 36" waist XL shirt kinda baggy but LG kinds tight.  Recently my weight bumped up to 230 but I'm back down to 220 and have been at this weight for about 6 months now. 38" pants a little loose, XL shirt just right.