Crossfit Day 3

Dirtyhip

I went yesterday.  My workout time is really early in the morning.  This is the only way I can really fit it in my life.  It is very difficult for athletes to fit in time for their pursuits, if they work full time.  I struggle with this balance of time.  

Anyway, yesterday was much more instruction than working out.  She spent a lot of time with instruction, and we ran out of time.  I didn't really get in the workout that she had planned for me.  At 6:30, I said I have to go.  I told her that I work at 8 am, but she somehow missed the fact that I can only afford one hour.  I had to drive home, make my breakfast, take a shower, pack clothes and ride to work.  I felt rushed and it was stressful.

We did these things over the hour:  

Warm up on this thing called "an assault bike."  I HATE their assault bikes.  The setup sucks and I was constantly sliding off the front of the nose of the seat.  She told me that is due to my slippery pants.  The saddle looked level, but it felt so wrong to me.  I may tell her that I want to do other warm ups.  I really never want to ride those things again.  In a couple weeks they will be a few blocks from my house.  I will ask that on bike days, I want to warm up on my own bike.    

We did stretches for my legs, shoulders and arms.  She showed me push up form.  I did a few to get the push form up she liked.  I received instruction on the bench press, the push press and shoulder press (I think that is what she called it).  This gym uses a different methodology for breathing while lifting.  I had always been taught that you exhale on the exertion part of the lifting.  They do this valsalva maneuver thing.  I had a hard time reteaching my brain to do this correctly.  

The entire college baseball team showed up and crowded the gym.  That really sucked.  I will have to pay attention to when big groups are set to go there. 

Before the weight instruction, we also did what she called bear crawl.  I was doing bear crawl when all the basketball guys were in there and I felt ridiculous.  There I was, ass in the air running around on my hands and feet like a bear or a dog.  OY!  

We burned an hour and I didn't get much of a workout.  She promised that she would be more cognizant about my limited time in the future.    

So, not a great day 3.  Instruction was good, but I had hoped for a harder workout.  Tomorrow is day 4 and I really hope that it brings some intensity.  

the time thing is why I like to train alone and on my own

like tonight I'm just going to walk out to the shed after I get home and do some weight lifting from my shoulder and arm that I am rehabbing and then doing a half hour or so on the indoor trainer. I might be going up tot town tonight, so if I had to go somewhere to work out, I wouldn't make all the connections tonight

I never worked out in the morning, even when I was young. My favorite time is mid afternoon.

I also don't like riding with other people either because when I want to go, I want to go....and I'm probably going to make up my mind about where I'm riding out on the road

everything is just simpler and faster when you train alone, which is why I prefer it that way. But my dad was a power lifter, that was his sport, so I pretty much grew up around gyms and weight training equipment

but I think its great that you are trying something new.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Wouldn't you get a better workout to just join a gym and plan your own two or more hour workout?

This place is a gym.  I am trying not to be negative over one bad day.  I had a gym membership and I felt like I was spinning my wheels, and not going anywhere.  This is why I joine.

I still hope to have better focus and learn more about proper lifting.  I have a lot of bad form going on with my body position for lifting.

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

the time thing is why I like to train alone and on my own

like tonight I'm just going to walk out to the shed after I get home and do some weight lifting from my shoulder and arm that I am rehabbing and then doing a half hour or so on the indoor trainer. I might be going up tot town tonight, so if I had to go somewhere to work out, I wouldn't make all the connections tonight

I never worked out in the morning, even when I was young. My favorite time is mid afternoon.

I also don't like riding with other people either because when I want to go, I want to go....and I'm probably going to make up my mind about where I'm riding out on the road

everything is just simpler and faster when you train alone, which is why I prefer it that way. But my dad was a power lifter, that was his sport, so I pretty much grew up around gyms and weight training equipment

but I think its great that you are trying something new.

She will release me to my own devices after she brainwashes me a little more.  

For riding, I like both.  I have days where I train alone, and I also like being with a partner.  For safety sakes, I like having a partner sometimes for the schralpy days.   Also, for long haul days where I am doing endurance rides of 50+ CX miles, it is nice to have someone with you.  I am out on these remote backroads, where anything can happen.  There is a safety aspect to riding with others.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

This place is a gym.  I am trying not to be negative over one bad day.  I had a gym membership and I felt like I was spinning my wheels, and not going anywhere.  This is why I joine.

I still hope to have better focus and learn more about proper lifting.  I have a lot of bad form going on with my body position for lifting.

She will release me to my own devices after she brainwashes me a little more.  

For riding, I like both.  I have days where I train alone, and I also like being with a partner.  For safety sakes, I like having a partner sometimes for the schralpy days.   Also, for long haul days where I am doing endurance rides of 50+ CX miles, it is nice to have someone with you.  I am out on these remote backroads, where anything can happen.  There is a safety aspect to riding with others.

sometimes its good to try something new

especially this time of year

and cross fit training is pretty intense so you are pretty awesome for having a go at that crazy stuff

i see what you mean about a partner off road out where you are   that's smart     its a lot different when you have a problem out in the middle of the woods than just being on the side of a road

im using small letters and no punctuation so as not to be too confrontational

you had a rough ride in that podium girls thread :)

• Heart 1