Advice

Road Runner

Post your advice to beginners here, please.  We were all beginners at one time ourselves, so we ought to be able to offer some helpful thoughts and ideas.

Mine:  Buy a decent bike to start with.  Buying a cheapo and upgrading after a year is just stupid.  Buy a mid level or slightly below mid-level and ride it for many years to come.

That cheapo is just money wasted and even if you don't stick with cycling, at least that nice bike will be something you can be proud of and still ride occasionally or give to a family member or special friend.  Besides, how could you ever decide that you don't like cycling if your only bike is a piece of crap?

• Heart 1

Ride the bike that makes you happy.

When I bought my current bike I was picking between two pretty nice bikes, but the one I have just called to me.  I really love my bike and that makes me want to ride it more.

Yeap, I always tell people when looking at similar speced bikes, buy the one that you like looking at the most, yes it sounds stupid, but if you like the bike, you are more likely to ride it.

And yes clipless pedals suck at first, we all fall over at stop signs when first using them (in my case always with a school bus full of kids right there) but you do soon get the hang of it and soon you will not know how you ever rode anything else.

• Heart 2

And yes clipless pedals suck at first, we all fall over at stop signs when first using them (in my case always with a school bus full of kids right there) but you do soon get the hang of it and soon you will not know how you ever rode anything else.

Clipless is worth it and you get used to them VERY quick. I'd say I was fine within the first ride or two.

If you are riding on roads (not bike trails), I know it seems counter intuitive, but the road is safer than the sidewalk. MUCH safer. Being on the road puts you where cars are looking. Riding on sidewalks is dangerous because cars coming out of driveways/parking lots do not even see you most of the time.

• Heart 1