I just bought a rocketship!

jsharr

Intel Core i7-7700K Processor 4.2GHz; CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO Cooler; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready; ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 Systemboard

Has a 2TB hdd and a 500GB SSD.  Upped the ram to 32GB.  Added a 4 TB DVR drive for video editting and storage.

Also got a 27" Dell 2k monitor that will G sync to the video card for better rendering.

Need to make some videos of our stock alert platform in action and I think this just may do the trick

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Chili Beans said:

I agonized over buying mine.  New toys are fun.  I'm happy with what I got.

My biggest concerns was being able to capture and store lots of real time data from our platform and then process and edit it to create tutorials for our system.  Rolling out lots of changes to the chat function, scanners, charting etc in the next few weeks.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm happy with my Cybertron entry level gaming PC.  Given what I replaced it's a giant step up.  

All the gamer kids that worked at the computer store were telling me "nice build", along with the computer tech / IT crowd guys.  Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Just now, Nate said:

so what does a rig like that cost (just ball park) ...these days?  over a grand? under a grand?

Base machine was 1800.  By the time we added the RAM, installed the 4 TB video drive and got a monitor with fast response time and the G sync ability it pushed it up a bit.  Under 3k out the door for complete system.

48 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Rolling out lots of changes to the chat function, scanners, charting etc in the next few weeks.

You are talking about an upgrade.  You know that isn't a great subject around here.  Couldn't you just say - I need it for work and leave it at that?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

You are talking about an upgrade.  You know that isn't a great subject around here.  Couldn't you just say - I need it for work and leave it at that?

You used the "u" word, not me bub!  I talked in generic middle management talk about rolling out changes in functionality!

33 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Base machine was 1800.  By the time we added the RAM, installed the 4 TB video drive and got a monitor with fast response time and the G sync ability it pushed it up a bit.  Under 3k out the door for complete system.

that's pretty much my budget for a concert quality classical guitar

...so I'm going to have to get by with my Windows7 tower I got on EBay for $114

9 minutes ago, Nate said:

that's pretty much my budget for a concert quality classical guitar

...so I'm going to have to get by with my Windows7 tower I got on EBay for $114

This is for work.  Company paid for it.  I just got to do the research, spec it out, have it built.  Others will play with it.  Gonna go pick it up in a few.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

This is for work.  Company paid for it.  I just got to do the research, spec it out, have it built.  Others will play with it.  Gonna go pick it up in a few.

So you bought a new PC and now that the word is out on the street your stock price took a nose dive?

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

You coulda had this baby if you had been willing to spend 6K.  

Image result for old ad for computer

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Intel Core i7-7700K Processor 4.2GHz; CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO Cooler; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready; ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 Systemboard

Has a 2TB hdd and a 500GB SSD.  Upped the ram to 32GB.  Added a 4 TB DVR drive for video editting and storage.

Also got a 27" Dell 2k monitor that will G sync to the video card for better rendering.

Need to make some videos of our stock alert platform in action and I think this just may do the trick

No dodecaphonic stereo or a moon rock needle? 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

You coulda had this baby if you had been willing to spend 6K.  

Image result for old ad for computer

I remember writing a command or 2 in CPM.  Not many.  The first application I wrote was for an IBM PC (DOS) with an optional CPM processor that allowed it to talk to an IBM System 34.  I did off-line processing of BOMs on the CPM processor and them uploaded them back to the S34.  I can't remember why????

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Is this for storing your pROn stash? 

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I remember writing a command or 2 in CPM.  Not many.  The first application I wrote was for an IBM PC (DOS) with an optional CPM processor that allowed it to talk to an IBM System 34.  I did off-line processing of BOMs on the CPM processor and them uploaded them back to the S34.  I can't remember why????

My first computer was a CP/M machine with 3" floppy drives and no hard drives. Not a misprint - 3" drives. It was an Amstrad PCW which was very big in England.

If the idiot who wrote CP/M hadn't blown off IBM at a meeting, that might have been the OS we all used instead of Microsoft DOS. CP/M had some major advantages especially when it came to memory.

I bet that could still figure out how to PIP.

8 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

My first computer was a CP/M machine with 3" floppy drives and no hard drives. Not a misprint - 3" drives. It was an Amstrad PCW which was very big in England.

If the idiot who wrote CP/M hadn't blown off IBM at a meeting, that might have been the OS we all used instead of Microsoft DOS. CP/M had some major advantages especially when it came to memory.

I bet that could still figure out how to PIP.

PIP was in the DEC MCR I think.  I loved playing with the old DEC networked computers, where you could bro(adcast) messages to people. :D