Backyard Photo

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Is it not concerning that there are strange foot prints in the snow?  I'd be freaked if nobody had been out in my yard and yet there were footprints. 

when you live away from town, that's how snow looks. Animals run around at night. Deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, foxes, even birds. My geese always leave footprints all over my lake.

you should go hunting after a fresh snow...you see all sorts of tracks

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

when you live away from town, that's how snow looks. Animals run around at night. Deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, foxes, even birds. My geese always leave footprints all over my lake.

you should go hunting after a fresh snow...you see all sorts of tracks

And yetis, don't forget the yetis.

• Heart 1

Even where I live in Suburbia, NJ, on the rare occasions when it snows I almost never see it completely unspoiled.  Deer. squirrels, rabbits and foxes are all roaming our neighborhood.  (And then the kids get out there.)

One time, after a really big snow (tall snowbanks, most driveways hadn't been cleared) I saw a group of 22 deer walk together up our street.  Amazing.

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

You get much snow out there in LaLa Land?

Hasn't snowed in my city in over 60 years and it was just a light dusting. There may have not been  any other instances in recorded history.  I guess the snow would freak me out 1st, the footprints second.  ;)

5 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

You call that a backyard? No tires? No cars on blocks or dead appliances? 

You forget, he doesn't live in Oneida county.

16 hours ago, TrentonStrong said:

Even where I live in Suburbia, NJ, on the rare occasions when it snows I almost never see it completely unspoiled.  Deer. squirrels, rabbits and foxes are all roaming our neighborhood.  (And then the kids get out there.)

One time, after a really big snow (tall snowbanks, most driveways hadn't been cleared) I saw a group of 22 deer walk together up our street.  Amazing.

You would like it here.  During the bad winters a couple of years ago we had, at times, more than 40 deer crossing our yard at one time.  Of course that's in part because womaxx puts out food and mineral licks for them when the weather is bad.  This year never more than 3 at once but the winter has been exceptionally mild.  It's interesting to see the demographics of my yard change from year to year.  This year there have been fewer Coyote sightings, fewer deer and skunk while the bird and squirrel population has increased.  That has brought us one resident owl and one semi resident hawk.  In addition I have a particularly obnoxious cat that may or may not be feral.  My cats are afraid to go outside now so I may have to do something about that one.

Oh, then there's the bobcat. 

28 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Of course that's in part because womaxx puts out food and mineral licks for them when the weather is bad.

Wow you encourage them. Where I live my neighbors keep the deer population in check pretty well but I don't want deer in my yard or garden.  My MIL lives in town and they are not allowed to discharge firearms within the city limits.  She is overrun with deer and can't do anything about it.  She doesn't really care anymore because she never leaves the house.  My wife and I had bought her a weeping cherry tree for mother's day years ago.  The tree is/was beautiful.  A buck rubbed all the bark of the trunk of the tree polishing his horns this fall, gun laws or not I'd have shot him if I caught him.  Her neighbor shot something yesterday.  We heard a gunshot and then they saw him dragging something across the yard.

Nature pretty much keeps the deer in check.  We've had very few this year because they can feed themselves.  When the winter is bad the food goes out at the back edge of the lot and they wander in from the woods.  3 years ago the weather was bad enough that they began to gather there at the time womaxx gets home and they would only stay 15 feet away from her while the days food went out.  I think there were a couple who would let her feed them by hand but that wasn't a great idea.  A couple will snort and paw the ground and sometimes even advance to protect the herd.  Womaxx is the only one that I've seen them wait for and they know her because of the corn.

Of course womaxx feeds skunks too and that I don't care for.

• Heart 1