The Silent Killer

ChrisL

I didn't want to take away from the MTM thread but here is some info from the CDC on Diabetes if you were not already aware. There is a ton of good info but this summarizes well.    I know of a couple of folks here who have it including me.   If it runs in your family, you are over 45 and if you are overweight it's a good idea to get a blood work up done on your next check up.  

I was diagnosed prediabetic in my late 30's and my mom, several of my aunts on my mom's side and 5 of my siblings have it.  It hit all of us in our mid 40's. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I didn't want to take away from the MTM thread but here is some info from the CDC on Diabetes if you were not already aware. There is a ton of good info but this summarizes well.    I know of a couple of folks here who have it including me.   If it runs in your family, you are over 45 and if you are overweight it's a good idea to get a blood work up done on your next check up.  

I was diagnosed prediabetic in my late 30's and my mom, several of my aunts on my mom's side and 5 of my siblings have it.  It hit all of us in our mid 40's. 

I have type 2, it sucks, but you live with it. The worst scenario is to have your blood sugar out of control for long periods of time. This happens to people who don't know they have it, or people who have it, and don't follow treatments. Also there are quite a number of different patterns within type 2, so some people can carry on without disastrous blood sugars, even without a lot of effort. Others can have their blood sugar go sky high eating pretty modest amounts and types of carbs. Mine is somewhere in between. Taking two meds for it, and want to avoid the need for insulin.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I have type 2, it sucks, but you live with it. The worst scenario is to have your blood sugar out of control for long periods of time. This happens to people who don't know they have it, or people who have it, and don't follow treatments. Also there are quite a number of different patterns within type 2, so some people can carry on without disastrous blood sugars, even without a lot of effort. Others can have their blood sugar go sky high eating pretty modest amounts and types of carbs. Mine is somewhere in between. Taking two meds for it, and want to avoid the need for insulin.

That's why they call it the silent killer...  I've been fighting the flu the since Sunday but my morning fasting glucose has been in the 230-240 range since Saturday, clear indicator that my body is fighting a virus.  Anyway after eating well Sat, Sun & Mon and having fasting BG of 230+ I said f'it and had Mac & Cheese for dinner.  235 this morning....  For me illness will drive my BG up and as soon as I kick this bug it will be down again...  

Working out keeps me in check much better than a good diet but both are hugely important.  When I'm running and riding regularly I can cheat more and keep my numbers down.  Not so when I'm not as active. 

• Heart 1