50 years ago today

team scooter

1 minute ago, TrentonStrong said:

The Oct 4, 1987 storm did that for us.  We lost our entire February break.  

But the January 1996 blizzard is still the biggest storm I ever saw.  31" in Philadelphia.

We're in line for 36" between now and Saturday.:)

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

What was the death toll? Have people started coming out of their houses yet?

They don't exactly know yet. Current conditions have stopped the search teams and last I heard, there were at least 60 missing. :P

• Heart 3

Just now, Zackny said:

We're in line for 36" between now and Saturday.:)

You lake effect people should be disqualified from games like this. :D 

actually I find the "lake effect snow machine" really fascinating.  There were times when it was strong enough to give us snow in Rensselaer County.

4 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

You lake effect people should be disqualified from games like this. :D 

actually I find the "lake effect snow machine" really fascinating.  There were times when it was strong enough to give us snow in Rensselaer County.

I remember driving through Pennsylvania down to Newcastle wondering if we'd ever get far enough from the lake for it to stop. West Virginia often gets snow coming off Lake Erie.

In Buffalo, all storms are compared to the Blizzard of 77, which hit on Jan 28th. Two weeks of no school partly cause the districts couldn't afford to heat the buildings.

Our son and DIL were living in Chicago during the 2011 blizzard. When it was first forecasted, I suggested they could stay at our house in the sticks for a few days til things blew over. I got the "Pfft, we have a Jeep and Chicago does a better job with snow removal then Hooterville anyway. Thanks but we'll take our chances." :rolleyes: The whole three days they were trapped at home with little to eat, with abandoned cars blocking all the roads, my wife was sending texts like " Out shopping and having a delicious dinner in downtown Hooterville. How's it going in Chicago?" :D  

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

We had one in 77' closed school for a week.

Spring.

Louis LaFornara & I were headed up I-81 back to Potsdam halfway thru spring break. He for an interview, me for lax practice. Somewhere between Syracuse and Watertown we heard on the radio that the interstate was closed. We kept going, it was like driving in a viaduct. 

We always started spring practice after they drained the hockey rink, then went to the field when conditions permitted. That year, the first time we saw grass was when we played our first game down at Sienna. The ball bounces a lot different on grass than it does on concrete. 

1 hour ago, TrentonStrong said:

But the January 1996 blizzard is still the biggest storm I ever saw.  31" in Philadelphia.

I was in DC that winter and they got hit hard too. I remember it was one of the heaviest snow fall's in decades for DC.  We had to have the Engineers pick us up at the barracks and take us to the gates in the Duece N Half's as our patrol cars couldn't get through the snow.  

Just now, ChrisL said:

I was in DC that winter and they got hit hard too. I remember it was one of the heaviest snow fall's in decades for DC.  We had to have the Engineers pick us up at the barracks and take us to the gates in the Duece N Half's as our patrol cars couldn't get through the snow.  

Ah crap nevermind.... That was the winter of 1986.... damn I'm old...