Do you add veggies to your meatloaf?

Wilbur

No, funny you mention this as my mom used to put onion, green peppers and tomato's on her meat loaf and although I like all of those veggies, I don't like it in meatloaf.   A couple of weeks ago I had some left over ground turkey so made a meatloaf with just bread crumbs and seasonings and the family loved it so I make it fairly often now.  But with no veggies. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Beaner! :)  :loveshower:

Have meatloaf maybe once every ten years.

If we use ground beef for a meal, it is usually the old style ground beef over mashies! Like them old school days in elementary. Body, the dinner planfor tonight may be headed in a different direction now! :lol:

Like this picture but better! :drool:

0groundbeef.JPG

• Heart 1

Yes, about 25% of a meatloaf can be veggie.  Mushrooms do pretty well, as does corn.  I have also done peas, and always do some onion.  If I do a lot of veggies, I might add another egg to hold things together a bit better, too.  Microwave the mushrooms to drive off some of the moisture, they have lots of water, btw.

I don't use breadcrumbs, btw, oatmeal works nicely in loaf of meat.  

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Have meatloaf maybe once every ten years.

If we use ground beef for a meal, it is usually the old style ground beef over mashies! Like them old school days in elementary. Body, the dinner planfor tonight may be headed in a different direction now! :lol:

Like this picture but better! :drool:

0groundbeef.JPG

The Army cooks used to serve that crap, uh I mean dish every now & again in the mess hall.  I choked it down as I wasn't getting anything else but ugh man that picture brings back bad memories. 

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The Army cooks used to serve that crap, uh I mean dish every now & again in the mess hall.  I choked it down as I wasn't getting anything else but ugh man that picture brings back bad memories. 

A great breakfast.  That on hash browns, eggs, sausage, toast, orange juice and coffee.  Mmmmmm.  Especially good if you've been working all night.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Oh man...now I want meatloaf...maybe this weekend

My kids were hankering meat loaf so I made it last weekend.  It was delicious.  My wife then made a meatloaf sammich for work on Monday and then my son did the same. I only had a sliver of meatloaf left for my sammich.... :angry:

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well don't you worry about it, I'll choke down some of this crap tonight! Less crap in the world you'll have to worry about! :lol:

• Heart 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

A great breakfast.  That on hash browns, eggs, sausage, toast, orange juice and coffee.  Mmmmmm.  Especially good if you've been working all night.

Yeah SOS but they didn't use ground beef and the gravy was different.  I actually liked that and I'd plop a big dallop of powdered eggs on my SOS and power that down every day during boot camp & AIT.  It was the combination of the ground beef and thin brown gravy that I didn't care for. 

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I use ground turkey as well but julienne some carrot, zucchini, cabbage and onion.  I then chop it very fine, add chopped garlic and once in a while even add fresh baby spinach leaves.  It makes a pretty delish meatloaf. 

I like the spinach idea. I'll have to try that. I usually put onion and garlic in it, but that's it.

• Heart 1

Bobotie is a South African dish..this is just one of many variations: 

Dang can't get the recipe to post...look it up UTFG   raisins, carrots among other things...It has been described as a South African meatloaf...I have not had it come out as solid as meatloaf...so I have mixed it with cooked rice for a dish.....