What do you have to catch up on today.

Airehead

Today I have to stay warm.  About 8/9 this morning the power company and the electricians will descend on my house to build a new power mast "per code" as the original weatherhead was above the roof which has become illegal.  Then they will be replacing the mains from the weather head down to the brand new 200 amp service box that has to be replaced due to water ingestion and corrosion.  There are a host of "code" problems there as the utility space has a 29 inch door and it's supposed to be 30.  The town inspector is involved of course and I can't wait to find out what he will demand.

I expect to be without power for up to 6 hours.  It's in the upper 30's here all day however and the gas stove on the sun porch will keep us from getting too cold.  All of this work will take place down where youngest son is in the process of moving so it looks like a bomb went off down there.

No power, no lights, no well pump and running water and no internet till they finish.  What a wonderful day it will be.

• Heart 2

After being out of the office for the first 3 weeks of the year, I have a lot of catching up to do. I have sent off a bunch of items that I need info/help/direction/compliance from others to do over various periods of time (so that the lack of planning on my part does not constitute an emergency on their part) & just finished my reporting requirements for last month & year. Have to start to develop an umbrella safety requirements of a good sized project in FL which mobilizes soon; and calibrate about 15 air monitors for use over the next ~30 days. Got to develop a list of docs for a guy who tweaked his back on Monday.

Need to bring a ewe and her two lambs into the barn.  She did not want to go though the crowd during the dark.  Will repair an extension cord and plug in the tractor so I can move round hay bales this afternoon.  Other than that, will be doing the usual chores, eating, and napping.:whistle:

• Heart 1

My visa statement came.  Have to reconcile the charges and code them in our accounting database.  There is a travel that I have to coordinate.  I have some purchasing to do.  Also, the month was closed for December, and I am reconciling my budget books for the multiple budgets that I manage.

Since I woke up rather perky, there will be some fellow employees that need some harassment.  Nothing sexual, just jokes and razzing.

• Heart 1

Just now, Nate said:

I don't think Burger King or 7-Eleven really require you to send in a resume, Goat

I wonder if he could pass a TSA background check.  By the looks of those idiots at the airport, seems that they'd hire anyone.  Especially if they are fat, out of shape, and slovenly.  He might have to work on that last part....

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

My visa statement came.  Have to reconcile the charges and code them in our accounting database.  There is a travel that I have to coordinate.  I have some purchasing to do.  Also, the month was closed for December, and I am reconciling my budget books for the multiple budgets that I manage.

Since I woke up rather perky, there will be some fellow employees that need some harassment.  Nothing sexual, just jokes and razzing.

I thought you referred to yourself as a secretary in the past.  I didn't realize it was Secretary of Transportation, as well as Secretary of the Treasury.

Sooo much, I feel like I'm never completely caught up!  But, instead, I'm going to Ikea to buy a desk for the studio.  I had to get rid of the one we had when I took the office down as it was too big.  Who wants to come to Ikea with me? It's about 1.5hr drive!

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you need a new job, let me know.  I am pretty much doing the same thing, as my office manager is many time zones away so I have to a lot of that stuff myself.

a great facility, your own locker room and shower if you still want to bike commute, plus indoor bike parking.  Lots of wicked trails literally out the back door and a half day away is Whistler.

Oh yeah...., and a certain someone is not our Commander in Chief if that matters to you.  ;)

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

If you need a new job, let me know.  I am pretty much doing the same thing, as my office manager is many time zones away so I have to a lot of that stuff myself.

a great facility, your own locker room and shower if you still want to bike commute, plus indoor bike parking.  Lots of wicked trails literally out the back door and a half day away is Whistler.

Oh yeah...., and a certain someone is not our Commander in Chief if that matters to you.  ;)

Tempting.  Are you in BC?  :)

44 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yup, on Vancouver Island

You made me head spin a little this morning, Z.  You and Wilbur are at the top of the list for the most interesting jobs. 

Seriously though, you probably can't afford me.  My husband and I have a pretty good gig here.  Thank you for the smiles this morning.  

I'll let you know when I can no longer take the idiocy of the three hole punch drama and heavy duty stapler drama.  HAHA  

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

I thought you referred to yourself as a secretary in the past.  I didn't realize it was Secretary of Transportation, as well as Secretary of the Treasury.

Office manager....but really a glorified secretary.  I guess some job terminology has changed.  Outdated, I assume.

Really, I am a manager of staplers, copiers and 3 hole punch machines. HAHA

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

That right there is funny.  I'd book a warm room for the night.  That inspector is going to rip you a new one.  

Good luck

The inspector couldn't be bothered he will make an appointment in a couple of weeks and the company will have to send someone out to be with him.  They are pretty confident that everything is up to code.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The inspector couldn't be bothered he will make an appointment in a couple of weeks and the company will have to send someone out to be with him.  They are pretty confident that everything is up to code.

Sounds good until he tells you that you have to rip that wall down and change to door.  You heard it here first - your troubles are just starting.

18 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There are a host of "code" problems there as the utility space has a 29 inch door and it's supposed to be 30.

I would suggest if it's an interior door and this becomes an issue, then remove the door, remove the narrow 'backing' trim that surrounds the door on the opening and then you'll probably have 30" between the inside vertical surfaces of the door frame once the narrow trim is gone.  If that still doesn't do it, then you can remove the door trim itself.  Perhaps Connecticut codes are different, but I don't know of a residential code that requires a door on an opening to a utility space or one that requires that the door frame has a certain finish.

Then I would not suggest that after the installation passes inspection, that you never finish the opening not back to the way it wasn't before all this didn't start.

If the inspector starts reeling off some code reason why the installation isn't "as per Code", I would suggest you politely ask him to give you the specific code sections, in writing, where the installation is out of compliance.  The reason, you tell him, is so you in turn can hand it to the contractor who did the work so they know exactly what they have to correct.  After all, if he gives you his determination and the actual Code sections (you say) then the contractor can't have any room to argue.  The actual reason (that you don't tell him) is to pin him down on the code sections he thinks don't comply, so that you can verify there really is a non-compliance issue. 

Now, an inspector is considered the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), meaning he's (supposedly) the one who interprets and applies the code to installations.  While this authority gives the inspector latitude in interpreting the Code, it does not give him the authority to mis-interpret the code.

One rarely 'wins' when challenging an inspector.  I have had some success in respectfully asking an inspector to 'educate' me regarding his interpretation of the Code, and then using a series of questions to help him realize that perhaps there is another 'interpretation' (i.e. mine) that could be equally valid as the one he's using.  This allows him to save face by not admitting he's wrong, it doesn't look like a challenge, provides him reasoning to substantiate the new interpretation, and lets me finish the job without expensive re-work.

If the inspector finds electrical code issues with the installation, if you would like please send me a PM with pictures and his determinations.