Send me calm vibes

Airehead

Mr Aire just got called out for a real search and rescue mission.  ELT going off in a rural area likely small plane. It is overcast with light snow.   Makes me nervous.

ps. Dinner ordered and. paid for. Nice server said he would box it and I can come back for it. Taking him home for his uniform. 

• Heart 1

Got a text-- on the ground at KROC.  No find :( He did a training Sarex for some folks today so he would have run out of mission flight time at 9:30.  Not sure if he will be going back up as a navigator-- apparently he still has some hours left in the duty day.

16 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Mission closed at 3:50 AM with  find. No fatalities. 

Just came by to see how this turned out.  Last ELT search I helped with was the day of a fly-in lunch at our airport. The FBO reported that they were receiving a very faint ELT signal and asked everyone to check their ELT.  That didn't find anything. I had my direction finding radios in the truck since our ham club was having a competition the next day.  They told me not to worry about it but about an hour later they were notified of an ELT signal in the area by the FAA.  I took my radio and started to search. Tough search since the signal looked like it was coming from different directions when I moved my location. I finally walked into the all steel maintenance shop.  That made it easy.  It was a cirrus that they were working on in the shop. The steel building attenuated and reflected the signal so much that we thought it was off airport.

• Heart 1

You are so right about how hard it can be to hone in on the signal.  This one was reported by ten commercial pilots between Buffalo and Rochester.  The FAA and state emergency had it on their agenda.   Looked like a 100 mile_ish area. Find was south of the circle near a lakeside grass strip. 

Our competitive ham radio hidden transmitter hunts are fun competition but the real reason for doing them is a training exercise for things like this.  We have found down planes, Jammers on police and fire emergency frequencies and other problems.  I have located line leakage for the power company that was causing major radio interference. 

• Heart 1