Do you commute by bike, telecommute or ride share?

Dirtyhip

Sign up for Drive less connect and you can get free bike shop cash.  You can earn $20 for every 45 days of the following:  bike to work, walk to work, telecommute, vanpool to work, carpool to work, take the bus to work, or take the train to work.  If you ski to work, you can just mark it as a walk.  The money is given in the form of a local LBS gift certificate.

Drive less connect is a great non-profit agency that advocates for the reduction of riding to work via single car.

This is an honor system format deal.  Don't cheat. 

Link:

http://www.drivelessconnect.com/

• Heart 1

I wish... I'm home office but when I need to drive it's long days on the road...   My wife works close to home and wants to ride her bike to work soon.  She's about 3 miles one way which for her is totally doable but there is an overpass out due to construction and to bypass it would add about 10 miles to her commute in busy traffic.  But it's due to be completed next month so she can ride in soon. 

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I wish... I'm home office but when I need to drive it's long days on the road...   My wife works close to home and wants to ride her bike to work soon.  She's about 3 miles one way which for her is totally doable but there is an overpass out due to construction and to bypass it would add about 10 miles to her commute in busy traffic.  But it's due to be completed next month so she can ride in soon. 

She should sign up.  Free money is sweet. 

Commute safely, however you get there.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Nate said:

since I changed jobs, there's no way. I have to drive.

you're fairly lucky to have the opportunity to do that DH.

This just feels like normal to me. I can't really imagine driving to work.

I aint gonna lie, it gets tough this time of the year.  Frozen snot rockets and ice that you have to watch out for.  

None of those are viable options for me.  I have to get two boys to a school that does not offer bus service and then I have to get to my office and I need to be able to come and go at will for meetings, etc.

In the past, I did ride my bike to work, but currently just cannot do it.

Props to those of you that can and do.

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This just feels like normal to me. I can't really imagine driving to work.

I aint gonna lie, it gets tough this time of the year.  Frozen snot rockets and ice that you have to watch out for.  

luck you

the drive to and from work represents the single biggest infringement on my peace and tranquility

I've really had to work at not letting the commute turn me into a car crazy sociopath. These days I don't really care about how long the drive takes anymore, I just want to get there without having to drive like a jerk in order to do it

but the way the hiways are around Harrisburg, sometimes you have to make that lane change in spite of the traffic or get sucked off onto some other freeway going someplace else entirely

9 minutes ago, Nate said:

luck you

the drive to and from work represents the single biggest infringement on my peace and tranquility

I've really had to work at not letting the commute turn me into a car crazy sociopath. These days I don't really care about how long the drive takes anymore, I just want to get there without having to drive like a jerk in order to do it

but the way the hiways are around Harrisburg, sometimes you have to make that lane change in spite of the traffic or get sucked off onto some other freeway going someplace else entirely

I have the option of a secured bike path all the way to work, or I can take the mountain bike way.  Both ways are super safe. 

This morning, I had to share with 4 cars on the actual roadway sections that are on the way to the protected bike path. 

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have the option of a secured bike path all the way to work, or I can take the mountain bike way.  Both ways are super safe. 

This morning, I had to share with 4 cars on the actual roadway sections that are on the way to the protected bike path. 

when I worked at Pitt, I tried riding in on casual Fridays one summer, but that really didn't last long

they had no changing rooms, lockers, showers or anywhere to lock my bike, so I had to change in the men's room and just towel the sweat off, then park my bike in my cube and hung my jersey and bibs over a file cabinet to dry for the ride home

what the real hard part for me was riding in the early morning. My legs were just never recovered enough from the ride the night before, so I had to decide between riding to work or riding bikes for fun

I chose riding in the evening for fun

1 minute ago, az_cyclist said:

I telecommute 1 day a week.  we dont have showers, so bike commuting is not really an option.  I wish I could bike commute

that's why I only tried casual Fridays at Pitt. At least I could wear gym clothes after I got all sweaty riding in.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

' Sadly, the site I linked only has signups for Oregon. Idaho and Washington. Sorry for this being so region otiented. 

that's ok.

ride sharing is more an issue up where you live. My sister in Seattle was showing me all the stuff Seattle is doing to try and entice people to ride share. They are even trying to build townhomes for specific employers because they found that people didn't share rides when they didn't live near each other, too. That's a little too heavy handed, to me.

She said that their high-occupancy lanes on the I-5 weren't getting used and the mayor threatened to make them bike lanes! :lol:

funny thing is that if they just canned the HOV lanes completely and let the people drive, they really wouldn't have half the traffic problems they have

7 minutes ago, Nate said:

that's why I only tried casual Fridays at Pitt. At least I could wear gym clothes after I got all sweaty riding in.

In the morning the ride short enough that it is not an issue. I just carry my cute outfits and lunch. Lunch workouts are a bigger issue. That is where I have to take a baby  wipe bath. My  hair becomes a mess. Sometimes, I remain flushed for a bit after I get back to my desk, after my workout. People have asked, "are you ok?" I say..."I am more than ok."  Haha

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

that's ok.

ride sharing is more an issue up where you live. My sister in Seattle was showing me all the stuff Seattle is doing to try and entice people to ride share. They are even trying to build townhomes for specific employers because they found that people didn't share rides when they didn't live near each other, too. That's a little too heavy handed, to me.

She said that their high-occupancy lanes on the I-5 weren't getting used and the mayor threatened to make them bike lanes! :lol:

funny thing is that if they just canned the HOV lanes completely and let the people drive, they really wouldn't have half the traffic problems they have

Actually, where I live traffic is not a big problem. You could call it a non-issue. In ten years, who knows.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You can earn $20 for every 45 days of the following:  bike to work, walk to work, telecommute, vanpool to work, carpool to work, take the bus to work, or take the train to work.  If you ski to work, you can just mark it as a walk.

How about retire and just not go to work?  That should be worth something, think of the miles I'm not driving. :rolleyes:

Just now, Longjohn said:

How about retire and just not go to work?  That should be worth something, think of the miles I'm not driving. :rolleyes:

set up a shell company and then you can bike commute to your no-show job at the bogus shell company and make out like a fat rat

you can probably even deduct union dues you aren't even paying from your taxes

• Heart 2

For those that would like to bike commute but have some logistical issues, have you considered the half and half commute?

Basically, if you drive into work with your bike and the changes of clothes you'll need for 2 days, you can bike home that evening and then ride back in in the morning.  Your car will be waiting for you and you can drive it home.  Bring your dirties home and drive back in the morning with fresh clothes.  You can get the equivalent of 2 full commutes per week and cut out a lot of the hassles.