Ortho doc

Airehead

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Waiting to see if I can run again. I am going crazy

Good luck hope you get good news.  I don't run like I used to but I really enjoy being able to run.  Just the freedom and simplicity of it.  Last Friday while playing softball I hit a ball that was misplayed by the outfielder so what should have been a single ended up being a home run. (well a single and a 3 base error..) As I was rounding 2nd and getting the go sign from the 3rd base coach all I could think was damn it feels good to run comfortably.  I can see where you would be going crazy... 

• Heart 1

My leg is doing great with lots of new bone growth.  No cancer.  I thought all was well.  Then she mentioned my right foot--- the bad one I whine about all the time.  I just expect it to hurt.  I need some joint fusions on that foot or she believes the bone will continue to disintegrate and I won't be able to walk in time.  Bone fusion equals 5 weeks in a cast!!!!!!!  No driving.  Then a boot.

She really hated what she saw on the MRI but didn't mention it until the leg wa taken care of because she thought the tumor and possible cancer was enough to tell me in one visit. My leg can run again in a few weeks but my foot cants.  Ughhhh- I am beyond frustrated but happy to know it all.  I asked her what she would want to do after the foot.  She said I would be good to go.

• Heart 1

P.S.  I hope things get better, Aire.  I kind of get it a little. Long story short --I went to a funeral visitation in Chicago last Sunday (was going to the funeral too, GMoLW passed away at 99), only to drive FoLW back to Michigan after being there 90 minutes. Took him to the doctor next day, and the upshot of the past week was he got a serious staph infection in his knee (joint replaced 9 months ago), necessitating removal of all of the joint hardware.  Temporary plastic joint infused with antibiotics for the next 6-9 weeks, and then if and only if the infection is gone, a complete re-do of the joint replacement and the PT that follows it.  Surgeon said it was pretty ugly in there, which I was not very surprised by (seeing as the joint at least 50% above normal size).

Doctors aren't infallible.

A doctor once told me I'd never run again, after which I played a year and a half of high school sports and nearly three years of various collegiate intramural sports before I stopped by choice, not necessity.

And if what the doctor says is indeed true and you can't run anymore, then you can simply and conveniently 'forget' to ask the good doctor if the ban on running includes race-walking too:

hey, it sounds like that was good news, though

if there's no bone cancer in your leg, then all you need to do is get your foot fixed and off you go. If you do the foot soon, you may even get back out on the road again this summer. It will be the same sort of healing time for a broken bone. Figure 12 to 16 weeks to fully operational.

That's nothing, really, and then after that is done healing, you have essentially new legs