the neighbors

dinneR

I remember one day I was flipping burgers on my shift at the diner in Eagle River Alaska, when a moose came into town. He was walking down the main drag in Eagle River, a lot like your moose there

then a dog started barking at him and the moose went nuts and started head-butting every car in the road. Now a moose can completely cave in the side of a sedan, so the car alarms are going off, the moose is breaking windows....then the moose goes around the houses. I see the moose running through the backyards and then it just crushes this van that was parked at the end of the alley. Really something to see. Bull moose at a full gallop, drops his head and WHAM! T-boned the creeper van right in the side and crushed the whole thing in. Knocked the van out in to the road and everything

8 minutes ago, Nate said:

I remember one day I was flipping burgers on my shift at the diner in Eagle River Alaska, when a moose came into town. He was walking down the main drag in Eagle River, a lot like your moose there

then a dog started barking at him and the moose went nuts and started head-butting every car in the road. Now a moose can completely cave in the side of a sedan, so the car alarms are going off, the moose is breaking windows....then the moose goes around the houses. I see the moose running through the backyards and then it just crushes this van that was parked at the end of the alley. Really something to see. Bull moose at a full gallop, drops his head and WHAM! T-boned the creeper van right in the side and crushed the whole thing in. Knocked the van out in to the road and everything

Might have to shoot them to protect your property.  Moose are real good eating.

11 hours ago, dennis said:

pretty sure that's illegal. I think they eat people. They are mean as hell.

They are not that mean.. we have oNE at our camp in the U.P. that is skittish, but friendly. I'm awaiting the year it comes closer to the camp and I can get a good picture of it on my trail cam. Normally it's just a picture of its side since they are so damn big

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Might have to shoot them to protect your property.  Moose are real good eating.

yea, and you could do that in Alaska, too. Anytime of year in defense of life or property

It all happened pretty quick. I guess a lot of folks weren't home because nobody came out. After he rammed that van he just ran out of town headbutting everything on his way out. I'm looking out the big front windows of the diner and I got to see the whole thing

• Heart 1

The only time I was in Alaska was in 1970. A lot of moose were standing on the Alcan highway, I think they were hoping the little bit of traffic would keep the wolves away. There were a lot of wolves when I was up there. I saw a pack of wolves attacking pack horses that were standing in the middle of the road, the one horse got chewed up pretty bad and probably wouldn't survive.  A guy plowing snow got off his grader and opened fire on the wolves and they ran off.  He wasn't a very good shot, none of them dropped.

the moose use the hiways to travel (and RR tracks) because it is easier to walk along those things than it is to walk through the deep snow. In Alaska, the Parks hiway that goes from Anchorage to Fairbanks, they have big fences up to keep the moose off the hiway.

sometimes, there's a big snow and it buries the fence and the moose just step over it and out on to the road.

I saw a moose that got hit by an 18 wheeler one time on the Parks Hiway. The 18 wheeler was complete toast. They were hooking it up to a big tow truck to clear the road. The moose was still alive and was just sitting in the middle of the road not letting anyone near him.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Nate said:

protesters did the same thing when Trump was elected.

• Heart 2