First day in contacts

Dirtyhip

I've been fortunate to be able to wear contacts for the last 30 years with no issues.  I don't mind wearing glasses around the house but I have to wear my lenses when riding or working out.  Yeah I'd be dino poop for sure if I was born a cave man with these eyes.  I can't see sheot without glasses or lenses.  My son has it bad too. 

• Heart 1

I had contacts for most of my teen age and adult life, but eventually allergies other eye issues made them more trouble for me than they were worth.  I still miss my contacts when I'm out in rain or snow and my glasses fog up!

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

I had contacts for most of my teen age and adult life, but eventually allergies other eye issues made them more trouble for me than they were worth.  I still miss my contacts when I'm out in rain or snow and my glasses fog up!

Try putting cat crap on them.  It keeps them from fogging up.

1628583a-07b5-473c-8606-204598f783df

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

I have tried contacts a couple times. Just can't get them to work out for me. I hope they work great for you!

I could see on my bike, on the way home.  It's scary to go high speed, when you can't totally see the fine details of the trail and rocks. 

Muscles getting strong and I can SEE.  Nothing will stop me now.

bitches relax while I get my proper swerve on... :)

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I could see on my bike, on the way home.  It's scary to go high speed, when you can't totally see the fine details of the trail and rocks. 

Scary indeed. That is why I wanted contacts to work for me. I actually see worse out of contacts than my bouncy glasses. Dammers.

I've worn glasses since I was about 6 years old.  Before that I guess I was blind.  Back in the day my good eye was 20/400.  I tried contacts in my brief foray into "almost but not quite professional soccer" but the dirt in the goal area on most second rate fields made that a problem so I played with glasses and later sports goggles.  This was back in the day of "hard" contact lenses.

I wore glasses for so long that when I had cataract surgery and didn't need them to see I ended up having a progressive set made that are 0's on top and reading glasses on the bottom.  I needed safety glasses anyway when I worked and I couldn't stand wind in my eyes.  I've never tried the soft contacts.  There are a number of things you shouldn't do while wearing them.  Working around strong chemicals or in strong fumes for a start.  The new contacts absorb that from the air and there's something about diesel fumes for example held in contact with your eye that's not too good.

I wore contacts for nearly 40 years. I remember how hard it was to put them in when I first started.

in Houston the humidity being what it is on the Gulf Coast, I was miserable playing sports in glasses, so when I was 12,  I got my first contacts

but after 30-40 years, my eyes are tired of wearing them. I got to where the only time I put on contacts was to go for a ride, so last year I got some prescription sunglasses like the ones in the pic above.  So now I have retired from contacts completely.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I saw an opportunity to start a parody thread called "First Day in Hot Pants" but discretion became the better part of valor.

Since when?

• Heart 1

Good luck Hip.  I had perfect vision until I was 37, then due to a degenerative eye thing ended up with soft and now hard contacts.  Took some getting used to, and while I'd prefer to have my perfect vision back, wearing them does eventually become routine and is now normal-ish

Just now, Zephyr said:

Good luck Hip.  I had perfect vision until I was 37, then due to a degenerative eye thing ended up with soft and now hard contacts.  Took some getting used to, and while I'd prefer to have my perfect vision back, wearing them does eventually become routine and is now normal-ish

I'm gonna let the eye balls rest today.  They felt irritated this morning.  I poked at my eyes for like an hour yesterday.  I will wake up earlier and work to get them in before work tomorrow.  Today, I rest.

Growing old is a luxurious pain in the ass.

• Heart 2

Hope they work out for you, DH.

I got glasses when I was 8, and I wore contacts for a few years in my 20s but my eyes were always dry and uncomfortable.  Modern contacts might be better but I'm fine with the glasses (I just need to get around to getting a pair of prescription sunglasses for riding).

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I'm gonna let the eye balls rest today.  They felt irritated this morning.  I poked at my eyes for like an hour yesterday.  I will wake up earlier and work to get them in before work tomorrow.  Today, I rest.

Growing old is a luxurious pain in the ass.

try putting them on for a couple hours when you get home tonight

your eyes regenerate very quickly, so if you go a whole day without wearing them you are taking a step back in the getting used to them

but you need to build up the time you have them in over a few weeks. But I had to wear hard lens contacts, so if your eye doctor said to start wearing them full time right away, listen to that.

but generally it takes a few weeks to build up to wearing them full time

I would go body boarding in my contacts when I was in Hawaii.

one time I'm at Makaha on the west shore of Oahu and its serving up waves double head high. Makaha had a "backwash" too, which means the wave gets reflected off the beach and so as you are coming in on a wave from outside, there is another wave about 2/3 the size coming out and when the two waves meet, it will kick you up in the air like you were punted. Seriously, I've counted 5 "alligators" while in the air

anyway, that was the day were out in. I catch a wave, but the nose of my board hits some chop in the wave as I take off, and I get sprayed right in the eye. I can tell right away that my left contact is gone :o

so what can I do about it? I'm dropping down the face of a wave the size of a split level ranch house, so I just ride. I hit the top of the lip when the backwash hits and catch a big air, end up losing my board and going through the washing machine then getting spit up on the sand

I stand up and decide what I'm going to do. The contact lens is gone, but the surf is bumping....so I decide to stay and surf. I take my hand and wipe my face as I turn around...

and there stuck to my left cheek right under my eye IS MY CONTACT LENS! :blink:

I can't believe that thing managed to stay stuck to my face considering that when I say "Washing Machine" I mean being tumbled head over heels again and again as the wave exploded and threw me up on the beach

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Take your time with them, give your eyes time to get use to you putting things on them.  It'll come.

This ^^^  Our Dr. told my kids not to wear them more than a few hours at a time the first week and gradually build up to wearing them all day.  Your eyes do need time to adjust to them. 

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

one time I'm at Makaha on the west shore of Oahu and its serving up waves double head high. Makaha had a "backwash" too, which means the wave gets reflected off the beach and so as you are coming in on a wave from outside, there is another wave about 2/3 the size coming out and when the two waves meet, it will kick you up in the air like you were punted. Seriously, I've counted 5 "alligators" while in the air

anyway, that was the day were out in. I catch a wave, but the nose of my board hits some chop in the wave as I take off, and I get sprayed right in the eye. I can tell right away that my left contact is gone :o

so what can I do about it? I'm dropping down the face of a wave the size of a split level ranch house, so I just ride. I hit the top of the lip when the backwash hits and catch a big air, end up losing my board and going through the washing machine then getting spit up on the sand

I stand up and decide what I'm going to do. The contact lens is gone, but the surf is bumping....so I decide to stay and surf. I take my hand and wipe my face as I turn around...

I can't believe that thing managed to stay stuck to my face considering that when I say "Washing Machine" I mean being tumbled head over heels again and again as the wave exploded and threw me up on the beach

Wow?!?!?  I believe you as I have no reason not to but being a surfer myself that is freaking amazing.  So did you pop it back in your eye with salt water and sandy hands?!?!? 

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Wow?!?!?  I believe you as I have no reason not to but being a surfer myself that is freaking amazing.  So did you pop it back in your eye with salt water and sandy hands?!?!? 

absolutely. When my hard lenses popped out "in the field" I would put them in my mouth to clean them up and then put them in my eye right there.

I've had to do that on windy days on the side of the road cycling, too

And I agree, it was freaking amazing. Just a freak accident. I don't even see how it got from my eyeball to my cheek. Think about that part. You know right as you go to catch the wave....that's when it happened. So it got shot out of my eye, landed and stuck to my cheek, then I take the drop, carve a bottom turn, ride the wave from the outside all the way to the sand and go through the washing machine on the inside.....that was the absolute damndest thing that ever happened to me in over 35 years wearing contacts

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

absolutely. When my hard lenses popped out "in the field" I would put them in my mouth to clean them up and then put them in my eye right there.

I've had to do that on windy days on the side of the road cycling, too

And I agree, it was freaking amazing. Just a freak accident. I don't even see how it got from my eyeball to my cheek. Think about that part. You know right as you go to catch the wave....that's when it happened. So it got shot out of my eye, landed and stuck to my cheek, then I take the drop, carve a bottom turn, ride the wave from the outside all the way to the sand and go through the washing machine on the inside.....that was the absolute damndest thing that ever happened to me in over 35 years wearing contacts

Was it a soft lens?  Maybe it curled in the corner of your eye and then popped out after all was said in done? With the hydraulic forces I find it amazing it stuck there through all that. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Was it a soft lens?  Maybe it curled in the corner of your eye and then popped out after all was said in done? With the hydraulic forces I find it amazing it stuck there through all that. 

no hard lens.

old fashioned hard lens, too. Actually made from ground glass back then

...and I can't believe it stuck there, either

that's one thing to keep in mind if you ever loose your contact (and you will)

usually, if you don't find it in the first few minutes, forget it....but

I have had contact lens searches that turned my lens up in some strange places

sometimes your contact will stick to a vertical plane like a wall or the side of the sink cabinet or something. It can get stuck on you and your clothes, so before you move away from the area that you lost your contact, have someone search your person. You face, hair, clothing...

one time I lost my lens in a grass field playing volleyball.  Everybody was helping me look, but its grass...what are the chances? Well, right when I was about to give up and say "play on" I decided to take one more look. I dropped to my knees, and there it was: right there perched on top of a blade of grass!

I have even found lenses months after they were lost and replaced.

41 minutes ago, Nate said:

Was it like this, Nate?

3 minutes ago, Nate said:

that's one thing to keep in mind if you ever loose your contact (and you will)

usually, if you don't find it in the first few minutes, forget it....but

I have had contact lens searches that turned my lens up in some strange places

sometimes your contact will stick to a vertical plane like a wall or the side of the sink cabinet or something. It can get stuck on you and your clothes, so before you move away from the area that you lost your contact, have someone search your person. You face, hair, clothing...

one time I lost my lens in a grass field playing volleyball.  Everybody was helping me look, but its grass...what are the chances? Well, right when I was about to give up and say "play on" I decided to take one more look. I dropped to my knees, and there it was: right there perched on top of a blade of grass!

I have even found lenses months after they were lost and replaced.

I'm going with the 1 month disposables right now.  For bike packing and camping trips, I have decided to buy some one time use lenses just for that purpose.  I am not going to deal with the cleaner and all that crap for camping.   

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

I'm going with the 1 month disposables right now.  For bike packing and camping trips, I have decided to buy some one time use lenses just for that purpose.  I am not going to deal with the cleaner and all that crap for camping.   

I've done it, it isn't that bad. Get out of your lenses before dark and there's nothing to worry about

I also did boot camp and a tour in the Navy wearing my contacts full time

you do actually get used to putting them in and taking them out that it gets to be as simple as putting on and taking off your glasses

1 minute ago, Nate said:

I've done it, it isn't that bad. Get out of your lenses before dark and there's nothing to worry about

I also did boot camp and a tour in the Navy wearing my contacts full time

you do actually get used to putting them in and taking them out that it gets to be as simple as putting on and taking off your glasses

I am more concerned with the amount of crap I need to carry.  I even buy those little single serve chamois cream things for bike packing.  Make things easy.

At first it may be a good idea to carry re-wetting drops, lens case and your glasses in your pack but over time you will get it dialed in.  I put a container of drops in my softball bag as the infield dirt/dust will sometimes irritate my lenses but I've never had an issue with my lenses popping out on a ride.  Also I never ride without some sort of wrap around eye protection.  If it's a night ride I wear clear lens glasses.   Getting some dust/dirt in your eye with lenses is 10 times more painful with a lens in your eye. 

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am more concerned with the amount of crap I need to carry.  I even buy those little single serve chamois cream things for bike packing.  Make things easy.

the thing I liked about hard lenses was that you don't really need a lot of crap

you can use regular water, so all you really need is your lens case

but I'm not trying to tell you what to do. What Chris says about carrying rewetting drops, your lens case and your glasses case is pretty sound advice. That's basically what I always did. It really isn't all that much stuff.

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

the thing I liked about hard lenses was that you don't really need a lot of crap

you can use regular water, so all you really need is your lens case

but I'm not trying to tell you what to do. What Chris says about carrying rewetting drops, your lens case and your glasses case is pretty sound advice. That's basically what I always did. It really isn't all that much stuff.

I like those really small bottles of re wetting drops. When I'm out & about for the day and am worried about my lenses I put my glasses, two little bottles of the drops and lens case in my glasses case and close it up.  I have one of those hard glasses cases and it all fits in there.  Only one thing to tote along.   If I'm travelling or camping I carry a small bottle of saline instead of the drops and an extra set of lenses.  However I never bother with taking that crap on rides, I just go with what's in my eyes.  When I carry extra gear is if I'm going fishing and I know they will be in my eyes very early until very late or any time I know my lenses will be in my eyes more than 12 hours.  

My Dr gives me 6 months worth (1 lens for each 30 days) but I generally wear my lenses 3 to 4 months with no issue.   But again I've been wearing them for 30+ years and have the process dialed in. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I like those really small bottles of re wetting drops. When I'm out & about for the day and am worried about my lenses I put my glasses, two little bottles of the drops and lens case in my glasses case and close it up.  I have one of those hard glasses cases and it all fits in there.  Only one thing to tote along.   If I'm travelling or camping I carry a small bottle of saline instead of the drops and an extra set of lenses.  However I never bother with taking that crap on rides, I just go with what's in my eyes.  When I carry extra gear is if I'm going fishing and I know they will be in my eyes very early until very late or any time I know my lenses will be in my eyes more than 12 hours.  

My Dr gives me 6 months worth (1 lens for each 30 days) but I generally wear my lenses 3 to 4 months with no issue.   But again I've been wearing them for 30+ years and have the process dialed in. 

I never could wear the disposable ones. I have astigmatism, so I have to have hard lenses to actually change the shape of my eye.

In my early 30s I had to start using the gas permeable lenses, so I got a new pair at around age 32 or 33. at that time, my right lens was still the original right lens I got when I was 12 years old. I had lost and replaced the left lens twice, but the right lens was nearly 20 years old

21 minutes ago, Nate said:

I never could wear the disposable ones. I have astigmatism, so I have to have hard lenses to actually change the shape of my eye.

In my early 30s I had to start using the gas permeable lenses, so I got a new pair at around age 32 or 33. at that time, my right lens was still the original right lens I got when I was 12 years old. I had lost and replaced the left lens twice, but the right lens was nearly 20 years old

Yeah like I said earlier I consider myself to be fortunate to have been able to wear contacts trouble free as long as I have been able to.  My sister gave up on lenses years ago for a myriad of reasons but they still work for me. 

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Why are your glasses bouncy? Buy some Rec Specs or something that is made to not bounce around.

Rec Specs Maxx-20 Sports Eyewear

I never used the strap on mine, they held snug without it.

They bounce because the fattie doesn't have suspension. When I'm bombing down a hill with bunch of roots and whatnot, it's hold on for dear life time! Ha!

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I remember my first contact fitting..finally the guy put my head against the wall and popped em in..I kept backing away :whistle:  Loved em...but in my 40's my eyes got dry...and contacts went bye bye :(

I guess that's what happened to me. Used to wear the extended ones two weeks, remove & clean & wear them 2 more weeks. Then overnight it seemed I couldn't go more than 2 days without feeling like I walked the Sahara.

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You might need the strap.

Or maybe better fitting sports glasses.  Maybe, even better helmet/glasses interface.  I ride on some rugged rough road, and my Oakleys do not move at all.

Also being relaxed and letting your arms and legs absorb that impact.  My seek is fully rigid and goes over some bouncy terrain.  Teaching my friend to ride, she complained that she couldn't see.  She was too stiff and bombing down the bumps.

I started wearing contacts about a year after I started riding in the group. Miscommunication on a corner and I went down. My face hit the road and broke my glasses. The impact of the glasses with my face left a huge black eye! My first time putting in contacts at age 46 was hilarious to all onlookers but me! Now - 8 years later - it's pretty routine. I usually just wear them when I ride. 

I use the disposable dailies. The cost was really no more than the monthlies and for a few times a week, even a small package lasts a while. I do have astigmatism. There are now lenses with additional weighting on the bottom side so they rotate to the proper position. They work pretty well! I'm usually fine with the lenses for the duration of the ride. Even a couple centuries in there. But once the ride is done, I like to get to my regular glasses.