Quote of the Day: Henry J. Kaiser

Inspiration Bot

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I would have thought it more like "Give me Liberty or...........just give me Liberty".

Maxx remembers!  During WWII Kaiser revolutionized the way ships were built with the Liberty ships.  Essentially America needed cargo ships to get men and material across the oceans,and needed it fast.  The ships also needed to be, essentially, expendable because of the rate of sinkings from U-boats in the Atlantic.  The ships were ugly, they weren't all that fast, and under certain unusual conditions the welds would snap and ship would crack in half.  But for all of that they weree produced far more quickly and cheaply than other ship designs using traditional methods, and they served the purpose.

32 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Maxx remembers!  During WWII Kaiser revolutionized the way ships were built with the Liberty ships.  Essentially America needed cargo ships to get men and material across the oceans,and needed it fast.  The ships also needed to be, essentially, expendable because of the rate of sinkings from U-boats in the Atlantic.  The ships were ugly, they weren't all that fast, and under certain unusual conditions the welds would snap and ship would crack in half.  But for all of that they weree produced far more quickly and cheaply than other ship designs using traditional methods, and they served the purpose.

My father sailed on some during the war.