Finally Friday

Airehead

13 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Make it count, friends.

What must one do to make a day 'count', to matter?  People muddle through their days, following a routine they've found that allows them to get along with the least effort; reluctant to make small changes that would clearly benefit themselves and others around them.

And perhaps I should have said 'unknowingly muddle' because it's unclear if these people made conscious decisions in molding their routines, or simply reacted like a pinball bouncing around in a pinball machine, or they've decided not to make an effort to change, to risk, to improve.

Which is not to say such people avoid drama, either creating their own or taking the drama of others upon themselves as a way to fill their days with something to enliven the rote and repetitive actions to which their lives sum up.

Of course, not all people exist this way.  Some people make the day count, or rather make a day - one day - count, then go back to their routines.  For example remember the 'Ice Bucket Challenge'?  People dumped buckets of ice water on themselves to raise money for a good cause, for which they should be complimented.

Other people make the day 'count' by longer term commitments, by doing something small over a long period of time to build to a larger result.  I think this requires more discipline and a larger vision.  It is one of the more difficult ways to make a day 'count' because the fruits are least evident at the end of the day, making it harder to say the day's efforts 'counted'.  Only by reflection in comparing the progress made against the goal desired can one decide whether the effort made a difference.

Perhaps those few words "Make it count, friends" would lead to a few thoughts whether one's routine is enough or what abilities lie unconsidered or little-used, being hidden like a light under the bushel basket. 

In the end the judgment of whether a day 'counts' falls to one's self.  So, as Airehead said, "Make it count" in your own way, as your talents and abilities permit. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

What must one do to make a day 'count', to matter?  People muddle through their days, following a routine they've found that allows them to get along with the least effort; reluctant to make small changes that would clearly benefit themselves and others around them.

And perhaps I should have said 'unknowingly muddle' because it's unclear if these people made conscious decisions in molding their routines, or simply reacted like a pinball bouncing around in a pinball machine, or they've decided not to make an effort to change, to risk, to improve.

Which is not to say such people avoid drama, either creating their own or taking the drama of others upon themselves as a way to fill their days with something to enliven the rote and repetitive actions to which their lives sum up.

Of course, not all people exist this way.  Some people make the day count, or rather make a day - one day - count, then go back to their routines.  For example remember the 'Ice Bucket Challenge'?  People dumped buckets of ice water on themselves to raise money for a good cause, for which they should be complimented.

Other people make the day 'count' by longer term commitments, by doing something small over a long period of time to build to a larger result.  I think this requires more discipline and a larger vision.  It is one of the more difficult ways to make a day 'count' because the fruits are least evident at the end of the day, making it harder to say the day's efforts 'counted'.  Only by reflection in comparing the progress made against the goal desired can one decide whether the effort made a difference.

Perhaps those few words "Make it count, friends" would lead to a few thoughts whether one's routine is enough or what abilities lie unconsidered or little-used, being hidden like a light under the bushel basket. 

In the end the judgment of whether a day 'counts' falls to one's self.  So, as Airehead said, "Make it count" in your own way, as your talents and abilities permit. 

I watched a Bill Murray movie about this yesterday. He was bound to relive a day over and over until he shagged the cute co-star. I totally get what you are saying.

• Heart 1

Just now, Airehead said:

In the end the judgment of whether a day 'counts' falls to one's self. 

Well said.  What counts is important.  For me, Doing my work well and being kind matters.

don't listen to that bloated gas-bag

Its called "sieze the day" and you have to have some sort of metaphorical BALLS to be able to understand something like that

anyway...today is Judgement Day for me

my hearing is at 2:30 :unsure:

but win lose or draw by later this afternoon I know how much money I have and if I can drive a car this month

I had a good start to the day this morning when my swim time and my run were both faster than usual. I didn't ride the stationary bike today but took a one hour spin class instead at 6am.  Plan on organizing some of my tools today, I bought four new tool boxes. Going to church tonight. I'll probably have to keep WOLJ awake because it's past her bedtime.

1 hour ago, Nate said:

don't listen to that bloated gas-bag

Its called "sieze the day" and you have to have some sort of metaphorical BALLS to be able to understand something like that

anyway...today is Judgement Day for me

my hearing is at 2:30 :unsure:

but win lose or draw by later this afternoon I know how much money I have and if I can drive a car this month

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

He needs a very liberal judge.  :whistle:

Who wants to bet that Ol' Country Boy Nate doesn't "sieze (sic) the day" when he walks into the hearing by calling the judge a sissified, citified, PC tool of the liberal elites?  No, you can be sure Ol' Country Boy Nate will be the timid, tail-between-the-legs little wallflower because he knows the judge won't tolerate the crass rudeness and false bravado Nate tries to inflict on the Forumites here.

• Heart 2