It is so windy

Dirtyhip

22 minutes ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Why do you hate vegans and vegetabetarians and just generally good eaters?

Quinoa is something a horse eats from a bag hanging from it's face - like tabboleh. 

Kale - you are what you eat. (As proof, I had some jerky earlier and am drinking a Blithering Idiot right now). Do you really think a guy like me should eat something "bitter and nasty"?

Veggie salad is fine....as a side dish. If I ate that alone, I'd be gnawing my arm off an hour later.

Vegans tend to be insufferable self-righteous idiots. When I hear shit like "I don't eat honey because it exploits bees" it makes me question the validity of anything they have to say because they obviously don't know SHIT about beekeeping.    Vegetarians, I take on a one-by-one basis. I have friends who are vegetarians and while I grumble and give them shit about being "...friggin herbivores....", I always make sure I have at least one dish they can eat.

IMG_0046.JPG

• Heart 3

Our garbage man missed our road this week so everyone's tote has been out by the road all week . Every day the wind would blow the lid open on the tote and every day I would check and the garbage was still there. I would close the lid and hope they would show up and empty it. Today the tote was laying on its side so I figured they emptied it and the wind blew it over. Nope, I got down there and found snowmobile tracks right up to the tote and then they went all crookedy and out on the road. The trash was still in the tote. It would have been cool if it had got all over them. I didn't want to have to pick it up though.

I used to ride heavy wind, but there's a point where it isn't very safe, so now that I'm not training for anything in particular, I stay out of those kinds of winds, too.

and in winter, you put those kinds of winds together with 25F and its basically just miserable to be out

3 hours ago, Nate said:

I used to ride heavy wind, but there's a point where it isn't very safe, so now that I'm not training for anything in particular, I stay out of those kinds of winds, too.

and in winter, you put those kinds of winds together with 25F and its basically just miserable to be out

How is it not safe?  Even in high winds, I can keep the bike upright.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How is it not safe?  Even in high winds, I can keep the bike upright.

yes, but when a huge branch comes down out of the tree canopy, it isn't very safe

that's what made up my mind.

but also the safety thing is when you come out from behind some wind cover and get hit all of a sudden by a hard cross wind. Lots of places to have that happen on a sketchy decent around here

I think the local terrain has a lot to do with safety in the wet and in high winds. I feel real safe riding in the rain around my folks' area in Washington State, but all the steep descents around here make it more dangerous 

I worked a project in Oklahoma. Just like the musical documentary says, the wind blows all the time. Anyhoo, I'm a wienie, so I'd ride into the wind as long as I could stand it. All hunched over with my teeth on the stem, tongue hanging out,  elbows tucked so hard against my sides that they left dents, and only looking up once & awhile to make sure I didn't run into a parked semi, closed gate (actually I was on a nice wide road shoulder) or somesuch.

Then I'd turn around, sit up in the saddle, ride no-hands and pass the prevailing, 55 mph traffic. I felt like a cycling god.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

on a road ride, if it is a gusty wind it can blow you into traffic.  I have only had that happen a time or 2.

yea, gusty winds and when you emerge from windbreaks

that's what can crash you on the road

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have been blown off the bike twice in massive gusts on Peak-to Peak Hwy.  You would have gone down, too, light as you are.  Wind = no damn fun and possible broken somethings or others.

I am not that light.  I have a small compact body.  I weight 128, as of this morning.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am not that light.  I have a small compact body.  I weight 128, as of this morning.

Believe me, when the wind is gusting 15-30 mph, then a 70-80mph blast hits you, it changes your perspective on things.  If it is 40 degrees and raining you are already way too rigid and death-grippy on the bike with shivering and such, just trying to make it to a road you can descend on, and then you get surprised by a  massive gust, you would be surprised at how quickly you can slam the ground.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Believe me, when the wind is gusting 15-30 mph, then a 70-80mph blast hits you, it changes your perspective on things.  If it is 40 degrees and raining you are already way too rigid and death-grippy on the bike with shivering and such, just trying to make it to a road you can descend on, and then you get surprised by a  massive gust, you would be surprised at how quickly you can slam the ground.

What does the price of apples have to do with oranges?

These winds were 40 mph gusts.  Not that bad.

I wasn't climbing Pike's peak.

You know, DH, if you had a proper windscreen you'd have no problems at all.  I invited one of my friends from the Phillipines to the Forum, who uses a windscreen made in Australia, just so he could talk about this very topic.

Sadly, it looks like the Square One banished him before he even got a chance because SW thought it was a spam account.  :angry:

• Heart 3