Crime & Punishment

Further

So I've been philosophizing about karma. The good and bad, balancing out in the end.

And I got to thinking about prison. How somebody does something society deems bad, so we send them to a bad place, like two bad's will make a good.

Instead of making people sit in misery, in an evil place, to atone for their sins, we should have them do good deeds until the scale is balanced between the evil they did, and the good to atone for it.

A year of feeding Carolina Wrens and trimming the lawns at Cheese Estates would be more rehabilitative than spending a year with rapists and murderers. 

7 minutes ago, Further said:

So I've been philosophizing about karma. The good and bad, balancing out in the end.

And I got to thinking about prison. How somebody does something society deems bad, so we send them to a bad place, like two bad's will make a good.

Instead of making people sit in misery, in an evil place, to atone for their sins, we should have them do good deeds until the scale is balanced between the evil they did, and the good to atone for it.

A year of feeding Carolina Wrens and trimming the lawns at Cheese Estates would be more rehabilitative than spending a year with rapists and murderers. 

How about the rapists and murderers though?

33 minutes ago, Further said:

Where's the profit motive in that? If you rehabilitate them they won't reoffend and your profits will take a hit.