My first beer brew thread

Ralphie

On 2/11/2017 at 8:14 AM, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

So what is the porpoise of replacing the hose with a fermentation lock after 3-7 days?

Convenience. It's easier to keep a small airlock in place than all that tubing. You wouldn't want your krausen to go into the airlock, so the blow-off blowoff tubing is necessary early, but later it's inconvenient.  

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Which place? The Church Brewworks, or another?

I've always liked their pizza better than their beer!

Stone Church, their beer is getting better. I drink it at Hicks on the square in Mercer. That's the dad of the guy that has Stone Church.

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Stone Church, their beer is getting better. I drink it at Hicks on the square in Mercer. That's the dad of the guy that has Stone Church.

Unless there's road construction on 79 north of 80 this summer that forces me onto 19, I don't know that I'll get the opportunity to be in Mercer, let along Hermitage. :( 

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Do they serve men in spandex?

Don;t know - try them!

Well, bottling was the horror show I expected.  But I did figure out a system, but not before I lost 30% of the beer.  The good news is I got 70% of it bottled!  Siphoning is a bitch!  And I had a hard time avoiding the trub - the bottling tube should have some kind of stand-off to keep it off the bottom of the carboy, 'cause it sucked that trub shit right up!  I lost suction with aboot an inch of beer above the trub, and gave up trying to reestablish it, so I lost that, and I spilled a good bit in bottling.

So the beer tasted ok, but could smell a little better!  I have a renewed appreciation for breweries now. :)  On the plus side, capping went pretty well.

Two weeks until drinking!

• Heart 3

There will always be trub. Well, when you secondary a lager you get rid of most, but ......  Just be sure to pour carefully, and your final product will be just fine.

Do you have an auto siphon, or did you just use tubing and your own suction power? The latter is how I started out way back when. The auto siphon was a Godsend! :)

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, smudge said:

There will always be trub. Well, when you secondary a lager you get rid of most, but ......  Just be sure to pour carefully, and your final product will be just fine.

Do you have an auto siphon, or did you just use tubing and your own suction power? The latter is how I started out way back when. The auto siphon was a Godsend! :)

It dawned on me afterward that it seems unecessary to siphon from the pot after you add the sugar water!  Why not just pour througha sanitized funnel into the bottles?  And there has to be a way to avoid siphoning out the trub.  I guess that s what the black cap on the end of the bottling tube is for, but man, it is dramatically ineffective!  But all in all (now that it is over), it was a fun learning process.  Nice to see what the pioneers had to go through before Bud Weiser took over. :)

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The joys of bottleing is what made me transition to kegging very quickly.

I wanted to skip bottling and go right to kegging, but bottling does fit in with my micro scale better.  Although those Heiny size small kegs do look interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 8:58 AM, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

It dawned on me afterward that it seems unecessary to siphon from the pot after you add the sugar water!  Why not just pour througha sanitized funnel into the bottles?  And there has to be a way to avoid siphoning out the trub.  I guess that s what the black cap on the end of the bottling tube is for, but man, it is dramatically ineffective!  But all in all (now that it is over), it was a fun learning process.  Nice to see what the pioneers had to go through before Bud Weiser took over. :)

Oh God no!!!! Do not pour into bottles!!!! You will oxidize the beer, and it will taste like wet cardboard!!! Oxygen is essential post boil but horrible post fermentation. 

OK, the jury is in, and the verdict is....

:mellow:

So it wasn't flat!  Immediately upon opening it gushed over - nice healthy head!  The aroma was not the best, nor was the taste, but damn, it looks pretty good. :D  I just hope "they" are right when they say you can;t die or get deathly ill from drinking homebrew because of the alcohol.

Not quitting the day job just yet. :D

IMG_0537.JPG

• Heart 4

Did you notice any pelicille developing before you bottled? Maybe it's just young. Keep a mental note of how this bottle tastes and compare that to another bottle in a week or so. If it still seems weird, take it to a homebrew shop or local brewery and ask them to try it for some ideas. It's probably just young.

22 minutes ago, smudge said:

Did you notice any pelicille developing before you bottled? Maybe it's just young. Keep a mental note of how this bottle tastes and compare that to another bottle in a week or so. If it still seems weird, take it to a homebrew shop or local brewery and ask them to try it for some ideas. It's probably just young.

No, there was no white stuff on top.  It was supposed to be a pale ale - maybe the cloudiness was from it bubbling over?  Doubtful, though.  Aren't most homebrews cloudier than that crystal clear commercial stuff?   And I think the bubbling over might have been caused by overfilling.  I have a couple bottles that are underfilled, so we'll see how they compare.  I guess I can choke the rest down, but it was pretty unappetizing stuff!  The kit I used was cheap and old, so I'll eventually give it another shot.

3 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

No, there was no white stuff on top.  It was supposed to be a pale ale - maybe the cloudiness was from it bubbling over?  Doubtful, though.  Aren't most homebrews cloudier than that crystal clear commercial stuff?   And I think the bubbling over might have been caused by overfilling.  I have a couple bottles that are underfilled, so we'll see how they compare.  I guess I can choke the rest down, but it was pretty unappetizing stuff!  The kit I used was cheap and old, so I'll eventually give it another shot.

No, just cuz it's homebrew doesn't mean it's going to be cloudy. Wheat beers are cloudy. 

It may have erupted from being over carbonated. Just a thought. An infection will do that too.

I'm glad to hear you're not so discouraged you wouldn't try again. I'll bet you'll do much better with a fresh set of ingredients.