And Joanne nails it

maddmaxx

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

No kidding, I threw up the raisins in my brownies it was so bad.

I don't get it.  It was overwrought, silly, horrible outfit, the dancers looked and dressed like asses, just a turd of a halftime show; and all the jackholes on FB are like "best halftime show in 15 years".

You people who liked it ought to seriously examine what you consider acceptable entertainment, because I watched a complete piece of shit for way too long.  I am sorry for pointing at the feces in your punchbowl, but it was obviously not good.   I don't think it was worse than most of the garbage they usually trot out at halftime, just pretty much the same. 

DISCLAIMER: I am tired and grumpy and distracted, and I promise to give it a view tomorrow at some point and see if I am wrong about your apparent lack of taste and hideous judgement.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Gaga hate is strong here.  

Uh, no, my sentiment is for the people who, in the fashion of the braindead, proclaimed it to be a great show.  It simply was not a great halftime show, and I said why.  Maybe I am being harsh, but you people are far too easily impressed with whatever bullshit is offered to you, which is why Trump got in the whitehouse. Maybe she appeared better to you because the first half blew.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Uh, no, my sentiment is for the people who, in the fashion of the braindead, proclaimed it to be a great show.  It simply was not a great halftime show, and I said why.  

Well, your opinion is yours to have.  I won't call you brain dead though even though it's two words not one.

• Heart 1

I thought Gaga did a good job. As a performance venue, the Superbowl Hafltime show is really a nightmare. But I liked the medly of tunes. I'm not familiar with her music, but she herself is a really good singer

but I was in the kitchen washing dinner dishes for most of it, so I heard it, but didn't see it. So I missed the part where she was flying around on wires.

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, AKA, Lady Gaga.

Absolutely horrible show.  I think @Randomguy was far too kind.

Truly garbage.  Seriously, lip synching?

Everybody lip syncs a big show like that.  There is no way they are going to trust everything to work otherwise.

Everybody.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Everybody lip syncs a big show like that.  There is no way they are going to trust everything to work otherwise.

Everybody.

yea, the logistics of getting the sound balanced in a big stadium is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, AKA, Lady Gaga.

Absolutely horrible show.  I think @Randomguy was far too kind.

Truly garbage.  Seriously, lip synching?

I didn't watch half time.  Took the opportunity to put dinner together and eat.

Lip syncing in the situation, I think, is to be expected.  Consider the logistics of setting up in a matter of minutes.  Can't imagine anyone would risk going live under those circumstances.  

Although, her music isn't exactly what I listen to, I do think she is very talented.

Weird dresser, tho.;) 

She is an extreme left wing liberal tree hugging feminist - which is fine if you like that sort of thing.  I heard a piece she did a couple days ago where she said she wanted to use here time at the SB to unite and not divide.  I never would have watched if I hadn't wanted to see if she would really do that.  I didn't see any political statements (even if a couple organizations tried and failed miserably do make it so).  I didn't care for her 'performance' but I appreciated that she did what she said she wanted to do. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Why would you lip sync one of the biggest performances of your life?

I agree, lip syncing is bad and an acknowledgement that you can record anything in the studio in a thousand takes but can't sing for shit in the real world, generally.  I think LGG has a nice voice, though, and shouldn't oughtta need to lip sync.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Everybody.

Michael Jackson wouldn't lip sync, because he is a pro.  That said, the SB people are so paranoid about everything that they want things prerecorded so Sinead O'Conner can't call out the pope or somesuch.

5 hours ago, Nate said:

yea, the logistics of getting the sound balanced in a big stadium is ridiculous.

Yup, but the only thing you end up with is some orchestrated gyration that is fucking awful.  Yeah, I watched it again, I was completely correct in my original assessment, and like SW said, may have been too lenient.  The songs she chose were fine, but the whole effect was just garbage.

In discussing this with a friend of mine today (I am back in NYC as of two hours ago), he said kind of the same thing in a less harsh way.  "Well, it sure looked spectacular if you compared it to the Black-Eyed Peas (that really was the worst thing I had ever seen) or Katy Perry, but it was no Prince or Tom Petty or Paul McCartney, not by the longest shot imaginable".  He further said that it seemed really forced, and that brand of pop music is really out of place at the SB, it should be rock or country, which is more in line with the sport.  We both hate country music, btw, because it sucks so bad, but I agree that it wouldn't be out of place during halftime, and Shania Twain did pretty well when she performed.

• Heart 1

that's a good point, RG...that style of pop music really doesn't fit the Superbowl

but the trouble is that the Superbowl show is put on by some dopes in suits at the network. Not only do they know less than shit, they are corporate hacks that think only in dollar signs

that explains why the network went out and got Lady Gaga.

the thing is that the dopes in suits these days REALLY don't know what we want or what we like. All they know is what they sell the most of, and that's not a good indicator of what people are actually listening to anymore

on the music industry/record company side, they are more than happy to piggy back on the biggest broadcast event of the year to try and prop up flagging sales figures

but the whole thing comes off as being forced because it really is. The network people just want a big name so we don't switch channels and watch Puppy Bowl. The music industry just wants a big name act that will generate some record sales after the game

none of that equates to a music act that people are going to like.

I personally don't know how the hell Tom Petty got the gig. He's actually a perfect fit for the Superbowl, so who knows how the dopes in suites managed to set that up. Shit house luck I would imagine

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

that's a good point, RG...that style of pop music really doesn't fit the Superbowl

but the trouble is that the Superbowl show is put on by some dopes in suits at the network. Not only do they know less than shit, they are corporate hacks that think only in dollar signs

that explains why the network went out and got Lady Gaga.

the thing is that the dopes in suits these days REALLY don't know what we want or what we like. All they know is what they sell the most of, and that's not a good indicator of what people are actually listening to anymore

on the music industry/record company side, they are more than happy to piggy back on the biggest broadcast event of the year to try and prop up flagging sales figures

but the whole thing comes off as being forced because it really is. The network people just want a big name so we don't switch channels and watch Puppy Bowl. The music industry just wants a big name act that will generate some record sales after the game

none of that equates to a music act that people are going to like.

I personally don't know how the hell Tom Petty got the gig. He's actually a perfect fit for the Superbowl, so who knows how the dopes in suites managed to set that up. Shit house luck I would imagine

Can I double-like this whole post?

• Heart 1