I fear I am saying goodbye to my dog...

groupw

Pouncer is a border collie. She will be 15 in March....maybe. We have seen the signs of age becoming more prevalent over the last few years. She went deaf about 2 years ago. Her back hips and legs have become weaker and achy in cold weather. Yet she oils still be playful and still trot across the yard...until this last weekend. 

She started whimpering frequently for no apparent reason. She whined and paced around the house for about 2 hours Sunday night. She would only relax if I pet her, but I needed to sleep myself. She stopped eating her dog food on Sunday. Ate a slice of bread yesterday morning but wouldn't eat anything more since. She even turned away from fresh cooked chicken tonight! She just sniffed it, tried a bite and walked away!

i had to carry her up and down the porch stairs to get her outside. She has not even barked to come in. I want to get her each time tonight and last night because it was too cole to stay out. She didn't seem to care one way or another. I just get the feeling she is telling us goodbye, but I will call the vet in the morning. 

6 hours ago, groupw said:

She even turned away from fresh cooked chicken tonight! She just sniffed it, tried a bite and walked away!

i had to carry her up and down the porch stairs to get her outside. She has not even barked to come in

? This all sounds so familiar. I went through it about a year and a half ago. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Sorry, man.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, groupw said:

Thanks everyone. The vet said it is acute pancreatitis. He said in a younger dog he would recommend treatment, but at her age, better to put her down. I will be going to tell her goodbye whenever I can get off hold with this goddamn software support company!

:(  

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, groupw said:

Pouncer is a border collie. She will be 15 in March....maybe. We have seen the signs of age becoming more prevalent over the last few years. She went deaf about 2 years ago. Her back hips and legs have become weaker and achy in cold weather. Yet she oils still be playful and still trot across the yard...until this last weekend. 

She started whimpering frequently for no apparent reason. She whined and paced around the house for about 2 hours Sunday night. She would only relax if I pet her, but I needed to sleep myself. She stopped eating her dog food on Sunday. Ate a slice of bread yesterday morning but wouldn't eat anything more since. She even turned away from fresh cooked chicken tonight! She just sniffed it, tried a bite and walked away!

i had to carry her up and down the porch stairs to get her outside. She has not even barked to come in. I want to get her each time tonight and last night because it was too cole to stay out. She didn't seem to care one way or another. I just get the feeling she is telling us goodbye, but I will call the vet in the morning. 

ubertool972.jpg

• Heart 3

Sorry to hear my man.  We had to do the same to our 16 YO Aussie a few years ago.  This may sound horrible but it's the god honest truth.  My mom passed a few months before I had to put my dog down.  I didn't cry when my mom passed but cried like a baby after putting down my dog.  Maybe because my mom went on her terms but I had to make the decision for my dog.  It was just so hard to do.

Sorry you have to go through this.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Sorry to hear my man.  We had to do the same to our 16 YO Aussie a few years ago.  This may sound horrible but it's the god honest truth.  My mom passed a few months before I had to put my dog down.  I didn't cry when my mom passed but cried like a baby after putting down my dog.  Maybe because my mom went on her terms but I had to make the decision for my dog.  It was just so hard to do.

Sorry you have to go through this.

We have been bracing for this day for a while. You could see it coming. Even so, I was surprised at myself how matter-of-fact I was being about it all. Until I went to tell her goodbye. She looked at me and I could tell she knew what was happening. I stroked her and held her for a long while. She groaned the groan of comfort that developed as her hearing went away.  When I released her, she looked away and wouldn't look back. That's when it all hit me like a ton of bricks. When I would look at FB messages from friends or on here, I would just lose it all over. I'm tearing up as I share this. I went to work simply because I knew if I stayed home all I would do is see reminders and cry again. 

Thank you again for all your support and friendship...

GroupW.  Pouncer is at peace now.  No more pain, no more confusion from hearing loss, no more suffering.  Take solace in that.  All that a dog wants from it's family is to be loved and to be able to love them unconditionally.  Putting a dog to sleep is hard.  You did the right thing.

My son and wife are starting to look at Border Collie rescues for our next family member.   

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

GroupW.  Pouncer is at peace now.  No more pain, no more confusion from hearing loss, no more suffering.  Take solace in that.  All that a dog wants from it's family is to be loved and to be able to love them unconditionally.  Putting a dog to sleep is hard.  You did the right thing.

My son and wife are starting to look at Border Collie rescues for our next family member.   

As much as we loved Pouncer, I have discouraged many people from getting a Border Collie simply because they are not prepared for how much work they are. You must be engaged with them a lot and keep them challenged. If they get bored, they can be destructive simply because they want to be doing something!

i admire you for being able to help a great but misunderstood dog.

We will be taking a break from having a dog in the house. We want to be able to get away for weekends or longer and not have to put a dog in a kennel or worry about someone coming over to take care of them in our absence. Our youngest daughter and her best friend gladly used to do that, but they have moved out of town. 

• Heart 1

As much as we loved Pouncer, I have discouraged many people from getting a Border Collie simply because they are not prepared for how much work they are. You must be engaged with them a lot and keep them challenged. If they get bored, they can be destructive simply because they want to be doing something!

i admire you for being able to help a great but misunderstood dog.

We will be taking a break from having a dog in the house. We want to be able to get away for weekends or longer and not have to put a dog in a kennel or worry about someone coming over to take care of them in our absence. Our youngest daughter and her best friend gladly used to do that, but they have moved out of town. 

I couldn't agree more.  We had 2 Aussies (at the same time) before we got the one I referenced above.  We had the time and energy to commit to her and we knew what we were getting into.  My dog needed a 2 mile run in the morning (I rode while she ran) and a good hour of frisbee in the evening for well over 10 years before she started to calm down. A missed work out resulted in energy she just didn't know what to do with which often resulted in damaged property.   We also had two small kids which were here sheep and kept her busy and engaged.  Boarder Collies and Aussies require a lot of time and energy.

We went about a year without a dog and then when we got our little Jack we rescued an older, mellower dog as I knew I didn't have the time or energy to commit to another Aussie.  When the time is right you will know it and there are plenty of dogs needing good homes out there. 

• Heart 1